【原文标题】The World of China Inc.
【登载媒体】时代
【来源地址】http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1943087,00.html
【原文库链接】http://bbs.m4.cn/thread-210070-1-1.html
【译者】水清浅
【翻译方式】人工
【声明】本翻译供Anti-CNN使用,未经AC或译者许可,不得转载。
【译文】
Lunch at the site of the future Ramu nickel and cobalt mine in the remote hills of Papua New Guinea is a hurried affair, food shoveled into eager mouths. But the menu is as divided as the two distinct groups of workers squatting in the heat, swatting away flies and filling their bellies before their nine-hour, seven-day-a-week shifts begin again. In one huddle are local laborers chewing chunks of sweet potato and the canned fish known in pidgin dialect as tinpis. In another clump are imported workers from China who dig into rice topped with pork belly and chili – black bean sauce. The Chinese, who were shipped in by the state-owned China Metallurgical Group Corp. that has invested $1.4 billion into this faraway outpost, can understand neither English nor pidgin, two of the national languages. The Papua New Guineans speak no Mandarin. Even at mealtime, an event during which both cultures would normally encourage community and hospitality, the air is weighted by mutual incomprehension. "How can we eat together if everything about us is different?" asks Shen Jilei, whose first overseas experience transferred him directly from China's Sichuan province to a South Pacific nation he hadn't even known existed.
巴布亚新几内亚的一个遥远山冈上有一个正在建设的Ramu镍钴矿地,在这里工人们都得快速解决他们的午饭。他们将食物匆忙塞进饥饿的肚子里。午饭的菜单正如这两个截然不同的群体一样差别鲜明。酷热的天气下,工人们都蹲着吃午饭,还得不时地赶苍蝇。他们一周工作七天,一天九个小时。其中一群人是当地的工人,他们吃的是大块的甘薯以及罐装的鱼,混杂语中把这种罐装的鱼叫做tinpis。另一群则是来自中国的工人,他们吃米饭以及豆豉辣椒炒猪肚。这些中国工人既不懂英文也不会说中英混杂语。他们是由国营性质的中国冶金科工集团公司运来的,该公司在这个矿场投资了14亿美元。巴布亚岛的新几内亚人都不会说标准的中文。即使是吃饭时间,这个两种文化都提倡共享及好客的时间,矿地的氛围也因双方互不了解而显得沉闷。“我们没有一处相同点,怎么可能在一起吃饭?”申既伟说,这是他的第一次出国经历。他从中国四川省来到了这个他都不知其存在的南太平洋国家。

Notes of culture clash ring everywhere I wander in the vast construction zones that by the end of this year will turn a pristine stretch of virgin forest and grassland into one of the world's largest nickel-extraction sites. On the palm-fringed coast of Basamuk Bay, where the Ramu refinery will be situated, a chatty Beijing-born building engineer tells me that before the Chinese arrived, "the natives were completely uncivilized and running around almost naked." I voice my doubts, telling him that I've just talked to a nearby villager who described a PowerPoint presentation she recently made detailing environmental concerns about the mine. The engineer, like many other Chinese I meet, remains unimpressed. "All they do is chew betel nut and act lazy," he says. "They don't know how to work hard like we Chinese do."
我在这片辽阔的建筑工地上漫步,到处都能感觉到文化冲击的气息。这片地区将于今年底从原始森林和草原变成世界上最大的镍矿采矿区。在宛如手状的巴萨慕克湾沿岸,也就是镍矿将坐落的地方,一位爱讲话的北京建筑工程师告诉我,在中国工人来之前,“当地人完全没有接受文明,几乎是赤身裸体地四处逛。”我提出了我的质疑,告诉他我还跟附近的一个村民谈过话,她向我展示了她最近做的一个ppt,详细阐述了对矿区环境的担忧。 这个工程师,和我遇到过的很多中国人一样丝毫不为所动。他说,“当地人所做的仅仅是吃槟榔子,而且举止懒散。他们就不知道像我们中国人一样努力工作。”

The impression the Chinese have left on many P.N.G. nationals isn't much better. A local landowner whose ancestral territory lies in the middle of the mine site alleges, improbably, that the nickel will be used to feed a secret Chinese weapons program. In the capital Port Moresby, my driver announces that if a gang to evict Chinese from P.N.G. is formed, he will be the first to join. "I will sharpen my bush knife and chop 10 or 20 heads," he says. The unease about Chinese influence extends to government circles, even if the Ramu mine promises to add 8 percentage points to the country's GDP. "I know the Chinese are going out everywhere in the world and investing successfully," says Rona Nadile, an assistant secretary of labor and industrial relations. "But what I don't understand is why are they are so stubborn to not respect our local culture. We are a democracy. They have to play by our rules or we will rise up."
这些中国人给很多巴布亚新几内亚国民留下的印象也不怎么好。当地一个土地拥有者的祖传土地恰好位于矿区中间,他说,搞不好这片镍矿将会被用来支持中国秘密的武器项目。在首都莫尔兹比港,我的司机说,假如有一个旨在将中国人驱逐出巴布亚新几内亚的帮派成立,那他将是第一个参加的。他还说,“我将会把我的割灌刀磨得锋利,然后砍他十个二十个中国人的脑袋。”即使Ramu镍矿承诺将给该国的国内生产总值增加8个百分点,对中国影响的担忧还是扩散到巴布亚新几内亚政府层。“我知道中国人走向世界各处,而且投资很成功,但是我不明白的是他们为什么固执己见而不尊重我们当地的文化。我们是民主国家。他们必须按我们的规则来,否则我们就会起来反抗。”一位负责劳动与劳资关系的助理秘书Rona Nadile说。

Mixed Blessings
When China began its global investment push in the early part of this century, the flood of new money was welcomed, particularly in those parts of Asia, Africa and Latin America that felt abandoned by the West. China's promise not to politicize aid and investment by attaching pesky conditions like improved human rights pleased many governments. Between 2003 and 2008, Chinese direct investment overseas skyrocketed — rising from $75 million to $5.5 billion in Africa, 1 billion to $3.7 billion in Latin America and jumping from $1.5 billion to $43.5 billion in Asia. The People's Republic now ranks as the No. 1 foreign investor in countries as diverse as Sudan and Cambodia. In exchange for the natural resources needed to feed China's economic engine, Beijing began an assiduous campaign to win foreign hearts and minds by financing stadiums, hospitals and lavish government offices. The Foreign Ministry in East Timor was built courtesy of the Chinese, while Guinea-Bissau's marble-accented parliament building was a gift from Beijing.
当本世纪初中国开始全球投资扩张时,新资金的涌入受到热烈的欢迎,尤其是在亚洲、非洲以及拉丁美洲的一些感到被西方遗弃的地区。中国承诺它的援助与投资不会带有政治性,不会附加任何烦人的条件,如改善人权,这一承诺使很多政府大为欣喜。2003-2008年间,中国海外直接投资剧增——对非洲直接投资从750万美元上升到55亿美元,对拉美为10亿美元升至37亿美元,对亚洲为15亿美元升至435亿美元。中国如今已成为如苏丹、柬埔寨等国的第一大外国投资者。为了交换中国经济发展所需的自然资源,北京方面发起运动,通过资助体育场、医院以及大量的政府办公楼来笼络人心。东帝汶的外交部是礼貌的中国人建成的,几内亚比绍大理石议会楼是中国作为礼物为其建造的。

Some countries, however, are no longer as willing to extend a red carpet toward the globetrotting Chinese. Although political strings might not come with Beijing's cash, there are economic catches. The roads, mines and other infrastructure on offer are most often built by armies of imported Chinese labor, cutting down on the net financial benefit to recipient nations. Chinese companies investing abroad also tend to ship in nearly everything used on building sites, from packs of dehydrated noodles to the telltale pink-hued Chinese toilet paper. It's not only the contracted Chinese workers who show up, either. Within a few years, their relatives invariably seem to materialize to set up shops selling cheap Chinese goods that threaten the livelihood of indigenous entrepreneurs. Locals who do get work on Chinese-funded projects complain that their bosses don't heed national labor laws ensuring minimum wage or trade-union protection. Over the past three years, anti-Chinese riots have erupted everywhere from the Solomon Islands and Zambia to Tonga and Lesotho. Tensions are also simmering in India, where the Chinese are involved in several major infrastructure projects. Even high-level officials are speaking up. In Vietnam, plans for a $140 million Chinese-operated open-pit bauxite mine were publicly excoriated by none other than revolutionary hero General Vo Nguyen Giap because, he said, of "the serious risk to the natural and social environment."
然而一些国家已不再愿意接纳“自费”的中国人。尽管北京方面提供的资金可能没有什么政治附加条件,但是却伴随着经济上的陷阱。中国主动提供的公路、矿区以及其它基础设施建设大多数情况下是由中国输入的劳动力建成的,这样就减少接受国的净财政收益。中国海外投资的各个公司还倾向于从中国运输几乎所有用于建设的材料,从方便面到粉红色的中国卫生纸都是从中国运进来的。而且并不是只有条约上签订的工人来建筑地。不用几年,他们的亲戚们似乎都必定能实现在该国开店并销售廉价中国商品,威胁着本土的企业。那些在中国人资助的项目基地工作的本土工人抱怨说,老板不遵守本国保证最低工资以及保护工会的劳动法。在过去的三年,反中国暴乱在所罗门群岛、赞比亚、汤加以及莱索托各地都发生过。在印度冲突也蓄势待发,中国在印度也参与了好几个大型基础设施项目建设。甚至高层的官员也大声发表不满。在越南,投资一亿四千美元中国经营的露天铝土矿计划受到公开的批评指责,不是别人,正是革命英雄Vo Nguyen Giap将军,因为他说,“这会给自然环境以及社会环境都带来严重的风险。”

An Island Apart
Nestled in one of the most backward parts of one of the world's least developed nations, the Ramu mine has emerged as an acute example of resentment against China Inc. In 2004 P.N.G. Prime Minister Michael Somare returned home from Beijing, triumphant at having snared the country's largest foreign-investment project to date. The euphoria was short-lived. Landowners brandished slingshots and announced they wouldn't sign off on their tribal territory being used for mineral extraction, no matter what document was signed in China's Great Hall of the People. Environmentalists cried foul over plans to deposit mine waste in the sparkling Basamuk Bay, while local workers protested conditions that even P.N.G.'s Minister for Labor and Industrial Relations David Tibu described as slavelike and "not fit for pigs or dogs." Skirmishes repeatedly broke out between villagers and the 1,500-plus imported Chinese laborers, some of whom were working illegally in P.N.G. At the same time, anger has boiled over because of an influx of thousands of Chinese who over the past couple of years have monopolized businesses that by law should be reserved for P.N.G. nationals. In May, anti-Chinese riots convulsed cities nationwide, and several people were killed amid the looting of Chinese-owned shops. "Our timber, our minerals, everything, goes to China," says Damien Ase, founder of the nonprofit Centre for Environmental Law and Community Rights in Port Moresby. "But we get so little in return."
位于世界上最落后国家之一的最落后地区,Ramu镍矿已经成为憎恨中国公司的最鲜明的例子。2004年,巴布亚新几内亚总理麦克•索麦尔从北京回国,为成功获得了中国迄今为止最大的外国投资项目而感到欢欣不已。然而总理高兴的日子不长。因为国内的土地拥有者挥舞着弹弓宣称,不管在中国人民大会堂签署了什么样的文件,他们都不会离开属于自己的部落领土(这些土地将被改为采矿区)。环境保护者抗议将矿物垃圾埋在巴萨穆克湾底的卑劣计划,而当地工人则抗议工作条件,甚至巴布亚新几内亚的劳动与劳资关系部部长大卫•狄布都这样描述,奴隶似的,“猪狗都受不了的”。村民们与那些1500名中国工人之间不断发生小规模的冲突。中国工人中有一些是非法在巴布亚新几内亚工作的。同时,当地人已经愤怒到极点,因为过去两三年来成千上万涌入的中国人垄断了一些在法律上应属于巴布亚新几内亚国民自己经营的商业。五月份时,反中国的暴乱行为震动全国各个城市,在抢劫中国人经营的商店暴乱过程中,有些人受伤而亡。“我们的木材,我们的矿产,所有的一切都被运往中国,但是我们得到的回报却如此之少。”位于莫尔兹比港的非营利的环境法与群体权利机构成立人丹米恩•阿桑说。

水清浅 发表于 2009-12-7 19:51

英文中蓝色的部分不知翻译的对不对,希望大家帮忙指正。

notailwolf 发表于 2009-12-7 19:56

本帖最后由 notailwolf 于 2009-12-7 20:03 编辑

丧家犬的狂吠

奴隶主和殖民强盗突然开始关心黑人了
但现在除了鬼叫还敢派军队去非洲杀人放火吗?

为你而注册 发表于 2009-12-7 21:22

冲突是客观存在的。那些国家很难说有成熟的商业市场环境。进入这些地区是要付出代价。

为你而注册 发表于 2009-12-7 21:24

中国虽然不参与别国内政。但是别的国家对中国的态度却是有很大的差距的,在这些国家经营,需要耐心的。

敬荃 发表于 2009-12-7 23:24

谁能挣钱谁是老大,还想杀中国人?自己民主国先吃饱饭再说吧。
我们中国人能在你们那里挣钱那是我们的本事,总比守着矿产饿死好。切

hhjnet 发表于 2009-12-8 00:14

哎,中国走向世界总会碰到这样的事情的

过客不言 发表于 2009-12-8 00:38

巴布亚几内亚?这个国家够可笑的了

Free_Corsica 发表于 2009-12-8 00:43

民主国家的人民,却想着砍中国人的脑袋,这样的民主,和蛮荒时代的弱肉强食有什么区别

小马厉害 发表于 2009-12-8 00:54

慢慢会成熟,慢慢会懂得

博雅之士 发表于 2009-12-8 01:26

需要全球军事存在维护我国在世界各处的利益!

小珂 发表于 2009-12-8 08:51

持剑经商啊

gulin 发表于 2009-12-8 10:47

NHK的纪录片,以中兴通讯和厦门一家民营企业为例,讲述中国企业如何在非洲的开拓发展。用emule下载,值得一看!
[纪录片]中国力量(2)驰骋非洲的巨龙.avi
ed2k://|file|[%E7%BA%AA%E5%BD%95%E7%89%87]%E4%B8%AD%E5%9B%BD%E5%8A%9B%E9%87%8F%EF%BC%882%EF%BC%89%E9%A9%B0%E9%AA%8B%E9%9D%9E%E6%B4%B2%E7%9A%84%E5%B7%A8%E9%BE%99.avi|497899832|7C90CCD616F8346DDDC4207E1320D473|h=YBFLMRLDOQU2RXFHKYYVE37A2H4NACNN|/
[纪录片]中国力量(2)驰骋非洲的巨龙.srt
ed2k://|file|[%E7%BA%AA%E5%BD%95%E7%89%87]%E4%B8%AD%E5%9B%BD%E5%8A%9B%E9%87%8F%EF%BC%882%EF%BC%89%E9%A9%B0%E9%AA%8B%E9%9D%9E%E6%B4%B2%E7%9A%84%E5%B7%A8%E9%BE%99.srt|31325|889E655BDFDD84A24A415E56C519CB2F|/

TJM 发表于 2009-12-8 10:58

别忘了一件事,针对中国的暴乱后面是谁在煽风点火!

liuyu39 发表于 2009-12-8 10:59

本帖最后由 liuyu39 于 2009-12-8 11:12 编辑

直接输出劳动力对当地就业市场冲击太大,也许我们可以换个模式,象西方一样坐在家里盘剥,,,,,,,真正的贸易自由化只存在于书本上了,现在的更像是全球产业链条分工,坐在高层剥削下层,
世界变得扁平了,中国应该加大资本输出,而减少劳动力输出,商品输出上聚沙成塔,做出向沃尔马之类的大的销售商。直观上让所在国感觉不到经济侵犯,这需要政府的引导整合,建立一些如日本产经联协会,商会的类似组织,
比现在这样大张旗鼓的好,

无可就要 发表于 2009-12-8 12:10

西方国家不会坐视中国做大而无动于衷的,他们会想尽各种方法加以阻挠,幕后的黑手正是他们。在他们看来,那些矿山资源都应该是他们的。

aimeili 发表于 2009-12-8 20:01

以前欧洲人也不是到处做这种事吗?

rlsrls08 发表于 2009-12-9 04:14

又见中国危险论,中国殖民论。

bokei 发表于 2009-12-9 08:15

中国人力资源最多,国外工程应该是劳力换资源。

superloong 发表于 2009-12-9 13:48

直接输出劳动力是对的,不要管欧美怎么说,做自己认为对的事,因为不管我们怎么做,欧美总会找到借口。不会因我们不输出劳动力或其它方面的妥协而有任何改善。
页: [1] 2