满仓 发表于 2012-1-30 10:56

【时代周刊 12/01/20】一次完美面试中的5个注意事项

本帖最后由 满仓 于 2012-1-30 10:58 编辑

【中文标题】一次完美面试中的5个注意事项
【原文标题】5 Things To Look for in a Great Job Interview
【登载媒体】时代周刊
【原文作者】Matthew Swyers
【原文链接】http://business.time.com/2012/01/20/5-things-i-look-for-in-a-great-job-interview/

在我的职业生涯中,我浏览过数千份简历,为各类公司面试过数百名应聘者。在做这些事情时,我见识过好的、不好的,甚至一塌糊涂的简历和应聘技巧。对于那些准备招聘的CEO来说,以下是我认为几个让卓越应聘者脱颖而出的重要因素。

1,关注细节

你早就听烦了,对吗?关注细节,我再说一遍,关注细节!

艾迪•墨菲主演的影片《美国之旅》末尾,有一个与此有关的、颇为有趣的故事:

一个男人走进一家餐厅,要了一碗汤。他叫服务员:“服务员,来尝尝这碗汤。”服务员说:“这碗汤有什么问题吗?”他说:“你尝一尝。”服务员又说:“这汤有什么问题吗?是不是太烫了?”那个男人还是说:“你能不能尝一尝?”服务员说:“是什么问题呢?是不是太凉了?”“你尝尝行不行?!”服务员说:“好吧,我尝尝……勺子在哪?”“啊哈……”

到这里,你也许会问:“这和找到一名优秀的求职者有什么关系?”

大约两个月之前,我收到了一封近乎完美的邮件,是一名应聘者在寻找在国际商标公司工作的机会。邮件写得非常人性,恰如其分地强调了应聘者的能力和对了解我们从事业务的渴望。我完全被说服了,正准备打开简历了解更多的细节时,啊哈……

邮件中没有简历。眨眼之间,这个人为此所做的一切准备,包括对公司、行业和我个人的研究,以及所有求职的努力,全都灰飞烟灭了。

有的CEO可能不太注重这一点,或许会回复邮件索取简历。但是忘记了重点,就等于不会关注细节。每一个应聘者都必须找到重点,从介绍文字到简历等等,否则他们就是在浪费你的时间。我不会再考虑这个应聘者了。

2,校对

我在法律学院中的教授有一次在课堂上讲述了这个故事,尽管他在社交方面存在一些问题,但这个故事依然让我印象深刻。

他当时似乎是在准备一个有关“public option”主题的演讲。他已经写好发言稿,让他的助理帮忙汇总成PowerPoint文件。

当他走上讲台,开始演讲时(这其实不是一个令人兴趣盎然的话题),他不明白为什么听众中不时传来一些笑声和窃窃私语的声音。直到演讲临近结束时,他才抬头看了一眼身后的演示界面。这时,他完全明白为什么他的演讲引起了一些意料之外的反应。

如果漏写“public”中的“L”,自动拼写检查是不会发现的。但是,任何看到“pubic option”这个单词的人都会发现问题。

这种情况完全有可能出现在你下一次的销售演示中——恼怒、尴尬,正是因为你在招聘时没有关注你的员工在简历上疏于检查而出现的错误。

3,准备

每当一个被面试者离开之后,我总要做的一件事是向每一个接触过被面试者的人打听,他们的想法如何。为什么要这样做?这会给你提供一些有趣的信息来了解你未来的员工。

有一次我问前台接待,她对这个应聘者的感觉如何,她的想法让我很吃惊。她说这个应聘者还是比较具有亲和力的,但是刚进入公司大门时遇到了点麻烦。这个应聘者似乎不知道应当去找谁面试,于是前台不得不花10分钟打电话给办公室所有人,最终找到了和她预约面试的人。

我认为这表示应聘者没有为这次面试做好准备,尤其是她申请的这个职位将会负责极为重要的工作,也就是跟踪我们所有最重要的客户信息。

还有一次,45分钟的面试结束后,应聘者站起来说:“Mark,谢谢你的第二次面试。”麻烦了,我的名字是Matt。但是我打算耸耸肩让这件事情过去,或许是我听错了,或许是他记混了。当我送他到门口时,他又重复了一遍我的名字:“Mark,非常感谢,我期待听到你的消息。”我强烈抑制住自己说出“好的,如果我遇到这个叫Mark的人,我一定会让他打电话给你”这种话的欲望。我后来没有遇到“Mark”,当然也没有再打电话给他。

一个应聘者应当尽可能了解到你的一切信息,让你愉快地把工作岗位提供给他们。

4,电话和邮件联系

雇主们经常忽略的一件事情是电子邮件和电话的职业性。我格外注意应聘者的电子邮件地址,以及他们如何接电话。

当然,我们都有自己的私人空间,但是在对待雇主时,尤其是你希望求职的雇主,就必须要展示出职业的一面。如果一个应聘者的电子邮件地址是bigsexy@gmail.com]“bigsexy@gmail.com”或者“hunkaburninlove@yahoo.com]hunkaburninlove@yahoo.com”,你就要慎重考虑是否聘请这个人。Gmail和Yahoo提供完全免费的电子邮件地址,所以没有理由不注册一个相对职业的地址。

在我看来,当我第一次打电话给应聘者的时候,面试就已经开始了。最近我有一次打电话给一个应聘者,对方不是在歌厅里就是在家里开摇滚聚会,因为电话一接通,我听到的都是重金属的声音。音量高到我办公室里的其他人似乎都在随着节奏摇头晃脑。

我对着话筒喊了几声“×××在吗?”音乐声终于慢慢变小了,我又恢复了听力,办公室里的人似乎也不再摇头晃脑了。对方说:“我就是。”啊哈……我知道他们喜爱音乐,但没有判断力。

5,过分诚实

没错,你当然希望应聘者如实回答所有的问题,但是过分直白也说明却少判断力。例如,我经常提一个假设性的问题:“如果我们聘用你,但是6个月之后其它公司又出现了一个新的机会,你会考虑去应聘那个职位吗?”你绝不会相信有多少人说他们会去。这是个错误的答案!

让我再举一个更糟糕的例子。有一次我让一个应聘者解释,为什么他以前的工作经历中有18个月的空白期,直到今天我还记得他的原话。他是这样说的:“哥们,说到工作这个事儿……你知道……就好像,怎么说呢?”我于是无语了。不用说,他没得到这份工作。

原文:

In my career I have reviewed thousands of resumes and conducted hundreds of employment interviews for both The Trademark Company and other businesses for which I have worked. In doing so, I got to see the good, the bad, and the downright ugly in terms of resumes, interviewing skills, and the like. For other CEOs looking to hire, here’s what I think makes a great candidate stand out from the good ones.

1.Attention to detail

How many times have you heard this one, right? Pay attention to detail. Let me say it again: PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL!

There’s a great story at the end of the movie Coming to America with Eddie Murphy. It goes something like this:

A man goes into a restaurant. He’s having a bowl of soup and he says to the waiter, “Waiter come taste the soup.” The waiter says, “Is something wrong with the soup?” He says “Taste the soup.” The waiter says again, “Is there something wrong with the soup? Is the soup too hot?” The man says again, “Will you taste the soup?“ “What’s wrong, is the soup too cold?” Replies the waiter.“Will you just taste the soup?!”“All right, I’ll taste the soup,” says the waiter, “where’s the spoon??” “Aha. Aha! …”

At this point you may be asking yourself, “So what does this have to do with identifying a great candidate?”

Not less than two months ago I received a wonderful e-mail from an applicant seeking to work for The Trademark Company. The e-mail was personally crafted. The note struck a wonderful tone emphasizing capability and a willingness to learn more about what we do here. Most importantly, the candidate emphasized attention to detail. I was sold. I was ready to open up the resume and see what they had to offer. And then, “Aha. Aha! …”

The applicant had failed to attach a resume. In the blink of an eye, all of the time spent preparing for this submission–researching me, the company, and the job’s requirements–vanished into thin air. Poof!

Some CEOs may have overlooked this and just asked for the resume. But you can’t say you have an eye for detail and then fail to deliver on the point. Everything job candidates do, from cover letter to resume and beyond, must prove that point. Otherwise they are just wasting your time. I passed on that candidate.

2.Proofread

My contracts professor in law school told this one to the class one day. Although he was an otherwise socially challenged individual, this story has always stayed with me.

It seems that at some juncture he was involved in delivering a speech on some topic that involved a “public option.”He had written and prepared the speech but had left the PowerPoint slide presentation to one of his assistants.

Well, as he began delivering his speech–a seemingly dry speech–he could not understand why a wave of chuckles and murmurs would, from time to time, arise from the audience. It was not until he neared the end of his presentation that he glanced up at the screen projecting the bullet points of his speech behind him. And right there, right in that moment, he understood with perfect clarity why his speech had evoked the unexpected reaction from the crowd.

If you omit the letter “L” from the word “public,” it won’t be flagged by spell check. It will, however, be picked up by anyone else reading the slides as you deliver your speech on the “pubic option.”

This could very well be you at your next sales presentation: pissed and embarrassed because you overlooked your employee’s failure to proofread his resume during the hiring process. So, check the candidate’s resume and cover letter for misspellings that spell check might have missed. In so doing you will make sure that you hire someone that’s thorough and doesn’t rely on spell check to do their job.

3.Preparedness

One of the first things I always do after an interviewee leaves is to ask every single person who came into contact with them what they thought. Why you might ask? You never know what little windows into your prospective employee this may provide.

Once I asked one of our receptionists what she thought of a particular interviewee. I was very surprised to hear what she had to say. She said she thought the interviewee was pleasant but did have some trouble when she first arrived: It seems that the prospective employee had no idea who she was interviewing with, so the receptionist had to call around the office for 10 minutes until she could figure out who to notify that their appointment had arrived.

I thought this displayed a lack of preparedness on the interviewee’s part, especially as she was interviewing for a job that had primary scheduling responsibilities for me and would require her to know and keep track of all of our most important customers.

In another case, after a 45-minute interview the interviewee stood and said, “Mark, thanks for the second interview.” Big problem: My name is actually Matt. Nevertheless, I shrugged it off–perhaps I had misheard the applicant, or maybe he had simply had a momentary lapse. However, when I walked him to the door he proudly reiterated my name, “Mark, again thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.” Every fiber in my being yearned to reply, “Well, if I meet this Mark fellow, I’ll be sure to have him call you.” I did not. I also did not call him back.

A candidate should know everything about you that they can find out and engage you on a level that you will enjoy and that moves you one step closer to offering them the job.

4.Phone and e-mail correspondence

Another thing that also gets overlooked is professionalism in e-mail and phone communications. I pay attention to the candidate’s e-mail address and how they answer their personal phone.

Sure we all have private lives, but we all have to be professional in dealing with employers–and, most importantly, prospective employers. So if a candidate’s e-mail address is bigsexy@gmail.com]“bigsexy@gmail.com” or hunkaburninlove@yahoo.com]“hunkaburninlove@yahoo.com,” think twice about hiring him. Gmail, Yahoo and other companies have a great price point for new e-mail addresses: free. There’s no excuse for not having a professional-looking e-mail address.

For me, an interview starts when I call you to set up the interview. Recently I called an applicant, and they must have been at a the reunion tour of Van Halen–because when the candidate answered, all I could hear was “Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love” blasting through my phone. I mean, it was so loud I could actually see people in my office starting to bob their heads to the tunes.

After a few attempts shouting into the phone–“Is there?”–finally the music departed and I was able to hear once again. The heads stopped bobbing in my office and the person on the other end said, “Speaking.” Ahhhh. Well, I know they love music…and that they lack judgement.

5.Honesty is overrated

Yes, you want your potential employee to answer questions truthfully, but answering too truthfully may also show a lack of judgment. For instance, I often ask the hypothetical question, “If you were hired and six months after you were hired another opportunity presented itself, would you go on an interview for that opportunity?” You would be surprised at how many people say they would. Wrong answer!

Let’s take one of my more infamous examples. Once I was asking a prospective employee to explain an 18-month gap in his employment history. To this day I remember his response verbatim. It went like this: “Man, the whole work thing … ya’ know … like, wow.”I was left mouth agape and speechless. Needless to say: He did not get the job.

妇科主任 发表于 2012-1-30 12:19

标记,这对求职应该有一定的帮助

xkymax 发表于 2012-1-30 12:45

这些都是给初入职场的新手的,混过几年后面试所面临的困难往往是来自所学专业和所在行业的问题

莫说 发表于 2012-1-30 14:08

xkymax 发表于 2012-1-30 12:45 static/image/common/back.gif
这些都是给初入职场的新手的,混过几年后面试所面临的困难往往是来自所学专业和所在行业的问题 ...

对这是正理!

滔滔1949 发表于 2012-1-30 14:08

一句话,成为合格面试者的必备条件就是强制症加一点点圆滑。

paoding 发表于 2012-1-30 16:13

嗯,美国人的祖辈们就是这么通过印第安人面试的。。。

倾杯乐 发表于 2012-1-31 10:17

马克一个

jabonze 发表于 2012-1-31 23:53

我觉得这个人有些吹毛求疵了,相对于所谓细节,我更看重员工的心性和创造力。或许对于旧大陆的职场,细节很重要,但在新大陆,行动力和想象力才是最有价值的。
页: [1]
查看完整版本: 【时代周刊 12/01/20】一次完美面试中的5个注意事项