诺基亚 发表于 2012-11-27 10:37

感恩节的火鸡:你永远不想知道的事情

正文翻译:
(译注:原文附有一段3分钟视频,大意是各种专家学者发现火鸡里有各种激素。)

This week HuffPost Live examined the centerpiece of the Thanksgiving meal, the Thanksgiving turkey. Once dubbed by Benjamin Franklin as the "Bird of Courage", today's Thanksgiving turkey is a bit different from the bird that Franklin knew.

本周赫芬顿邮报对感恩节大餐的主角——火鸡,进行了评测。它曾经被本杰明·富兰克林(译注:美国历史上著名的发明家,政治家)评为是“勇气的鸟”,但今天感恩节上的火鸡已经和富兰克林认为的稍有不同了。

Turkeys nowadays -- the ones that you find in the supermarket and on American tables -- are commonly pumped full of antibiotics and contain dangerous bacteria, according to Lance Price, director of the TGen Center for Food Microbiology and Environmental Health.

根据TGen食品微生物及健康环境中心的主任Lance Price所说,今天的火鸡——那些从超市进入美国人餐桌上的——都被注入了大量的抗生素和充满了危险的细菌,

Price told HuffPost Live host Jacob Soboroff that of all the main U.S. commodity meats, turkey is by far the worst. "We find the highest level of contamination, different bacterial species that can cause disease, and we find the most multi-drug resistance to antibiotics," Price said.

Price告诉赫芬顿邮报的主编Jacob Soboroff说,在美国人常食的主要肉类中,火鸡是最糟糕的。“我们在其中发现了最高级别的污染毒害,能引起不同疾病的细菌,还有多种药物的抗药性,” Price说

If stuffing was the only thing inside your turkey you wanted to know about, we offer a sincere Thanksgiving apology. Enjoy your meal!

如果你只想知道在火鸡内的仅仅只有填充馅,我们做出真诚的感恩节道歉,享受你的晚饭吧

诺基亚 发表于 2012-11-27 10:39

Dawg1000
I don’t care if you’re a vegetarian, but if you try to serve me tofurkey for Thanksgiving dinner, you can tofurk yourself

我在不管你是否真的是素食主义者,但如果你给我提供感恩节tofurkey晚餐的话,那你就自己吃了吧
(译注:tofurkey是一种由植物蛋白(豆腐)或素肉等混成物制成的人造火鸡料理(可能有些会混入真的火鸡肉),通常是素的料理)

framante
Loosen up. Admittedly, it looks kind of weird--like a bowling ball, but if you can get beyond that, it's not too bad.

马上松开。他看起来很奇怪——就像一个保龄球,但除此之外,看起来也不太坏

exxman
Tofu tastes like sand unless you add flavor to it. If it tastes like turkey flavoring has been added which means either turkey juices, which are full of antibiotics and God knows what else, or artificial flavoring which means chemicals have been added. No thanks! I'll take my chances with the real thing.

豆腐吃起来像沙子一样,除非你添加一些调味,如果他吃起来有火鸡味,要么就是加了火鸡汁——天知道是不是充满的抗生素,要么是人造调味料——那就意味着加了化学成分。不用了谢谢,我还是喜欢原汁原味。

April22
Our own government profits from the killing of its own people!

我们的政府就是从中得益的。

Mister Todd
This is yet another reason to seek out organically raised and fed animals--and local if possible. Happily, in New England there are many choices. Yes, they are much more expensive, but how much is your body worth?

这又是一个应该追求有机食物的原因——如果可以的话,能本地化就更好了。幸运的是,在新英格兰我们有很多选择。是的,尽管那些食物更昂贵,但对我们的健康来说也值得。

Notmainstreamagain
When will YOU become smarter and quit eating meat, all meat? Turkey included. It's all bad stuff because 1) of all the antibiotics and crap food mass producers put into their birds (and cows, and pig, and sheep) and 2) the horrible and inhumane treatment these animals get subjected to as they are grown in mass production facilities. This is NOT the turkey the pilgrims ate, not even close, so wake up! You are killing yourself and your friends and family by supporting a culture that eats meat.

你什么时候才会变得更聪明然后不要吃肉呢?所有肉,包括火鸡。这是因为1.他们用抗生素和垃圾食物喂养这些家禽 2惨无人道的生长环境和农场。这不是火鸡朝圣者的行为,甚至没关联,所以醒悟吧!你正在通过吃肉这种习俗文化来杀害你的朋友家庭和自己。

Pete Cunningham
I bought mine directly from the farmer. Heritage breed, pasture raised.

我自己直接从农场那买回来的,纯天然无污染。

Glory Mooncalled
Because, as a human, I have no choice. If I was an herbivore, hey, I'd be right there with my pet rabbit, but, as any high school kid who takes basic anatomy can see, humans are omnivores.

因为作为人类我们没得选择。如果我是食草动物的话,嘿,我会欣然地和我的宠物兔相处的,但是,在任何一个学过基础解剖学的高中生看来,人类是杂食性的

Notmainstreamagain
Right and if you want you can live off of candy bars, Liters of Coca-Cola, and Tacos from Taco Bell, but why not make good choices instead? Just because you can eat Big Macs doesn't mean it's good for you. Just because you can eat meat doesn't mean it's good for you. When man was evolving, he ate just about anything he could eat because getting food was a challenge. Thankfully, he was an omnivore, but you needn't be one now. And don't think that steak you eat is anything like the "steak" he/she ate 500,000 years ago.

回楼上:
说的没错,如果你想让糖果,可乐,玉米饼等零食从你的生活里消失的话,那为什么不去做出你的选择呢?就是你可以迟到巨无霸汉堡不意味着它对你有益,当人类不断进化的时候,他只在乎他能够吃到什么,因为那么寻找食物试试一项艰难的挑战。幸好那时的人类是杂食性才能活下来,但现在不同了。还有不要以为你现在吃的牛扒和你500000年前吃的一样。

ryco
Actually, as a human, you DO have the choice. ;)

回楼上:
事实上作为人类,你的确能有选择

notalwaysfittoprint
This article should have arrived before Thanksgiving, not after.

这篇文章应该在感恩节前出来的,不是过后。

cheo
I choose to eat some fish and organic poultry because I can't seem to thrive as a vegetarian. Turkeys get big naturally so growth hormones are rarely used; antibiotics however--another story.
So, I buy either Shelton or Diestel (Diestel tastes better); we have raised our own, but after a couple of highly enlightening experiences with raising/slaughtering poultry for eggs and meat, I'll stick to my friendlier little Ameraucana or whatever the non-white "Easter Egger" chicken is called to police the yard and garden for bugs and to get the occasional eggs.
helton indeed lets their turkeys roam free and quite uncrowded as poultry farms go, but they feed them (organic) grains--however since they are outside, at least they get to eat bugs, each other, etc. (kidding--sort of)
But the original wild turkey, or "bronze" or what has come to be called "Heritage Turkeys" have been genetically engineered and bred to be all white (apparently those dark marks left by the tips of the pin feathers when plucked "bothered customers"...didn't ever bother me).
So--we MUST have white turkeys, right? But the white turkeys don't like it hot and don't like it cold; they are less hardy. The original bronze birds do just fine outside in all kinds of weather.
The most authentically and healthily raised birds are from smaller growers of Heritage turkeys, including Diestel. http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/11.24.04/turkeys-0448.html

我选择吃鱼和一些有机家禽是因为我不觉得作为一个素食主义者能茁壮成长。火鸡长得那么大,所以的确是用了生长荷尔蒙——但如果是抗生素的话就不同了
所以我会在Shelton 或 Diestel(译注:由下文看,这大概是火鸡的品种)里作出选择的(Diestel吃起来更好);虽然有自己饲养,但在几次为了蛋和肉而进行的饲养/屠宰的难忘的经历后,我还是会找那友善的little Ameraucana(译注:这个大概是屠夫或肉类店),又或者只饲养小鸡来捕抓花园里的害虫,偶尔能得到鸡蛋
helton的确让他的火鸡自由地在奔走,相当宽敞的农场,给它们喂食有机谷粒——自从它们外出后,至少它们会互相吃小虫(只是开个玩笑)
这些野性的有机火鸡,或者称“棕红色”或所谓的“传统火鸡”已经被基因工程改造得全身白色(很显然,那些源于新生鸟羽毛的黑色斑羽因为会对顾客造成困扰而被拔光。。。尽管从来没有困扰过我)
所以——我们只需要白色的火鸡,对吗?但是白色的火鸡既不耐寒也捕耐热;它们很瘦弱;那些原始的棕红色火鸡却能很好第适应野外各种环境。
那最好最健康的火鸡来自那些小规模的传统农火鸡场,包括Diestel http://www.metroactive.com/papers/cruz/11.24.04/turkeys-0448.html

phoeberose
Glad I'm vegetarian!

还好我是素食主义

peskime
Its good to be vegan

素食主义者不错。

Turtlenewz
Vegan is not necessarily Healthy . Plant Strong is the Way to go.....

回楼上:
素食主义不一定意味着健康。饮食规划才是。。。

peskime
Being a vegan is plant strong, geesh

回楼上:
素食主义就意味着严格规划。

Rich Cash
Most poultry contains extremely toxic bacteria: E. coli, Salmonella, Staphylococcus and a host of others. That's why the FDA and the manufacturers post warnings to cook them thoroughly. Actually, most food poisonings from turkey occur because of the stuffing. Stuffing the bird is an extremely bad idea. It makes it almost impossible for the internal temperatures to increase to the point where bacteria is killed without burning the outside of the bird. Stuffing inside a bird is usually rich in uncooked juices, blood, and live bacteria.

大多数家禽都含有细菌:大肠杆菌,沙门氏菌,金黄色葡萄球菌和其他。这就是为什么FDA和制造商要警告食物一定要彻底煮熟。其实,大多数火鸡中毒是因为其填充的馅。用馅来填充家禽是一件很愚蠢的事。如果不烘烤表面的话,它几乎使内部温度无法提升到足够杀死病毒的水平。填料也通常丰富了汁水,血液和细菌。

IBZeteto
True. But you can cover the bird so internal temperatures kill the toxins without burning the meat. I don't know of anyone who likes "rare" turkey (or chicken), and "burnt" or well-done turkey has a marvelous taste.

回楼上:
的确是这样。但你可以把火鸡包起来另他的内部温度提升来,这样就可以避免烘烤表面而提升内部温度温度杀菌。我不知道是否有人喜欢“生的”火鸡(或鸡肉),那些烘烤或者处理得当的火鸡也一有惊人的美味。

brensgrrl
Well, this year we purchased an organic, free-range turkey from a local farmer. Grown without hormones or antibiotics of any kind, and completely raised on natural food. Individually hand processed by the farmer and his wife. The bird was beautiful and delicious. Drawback? Very expensive at $6.00/pound.

今年我们从本地农场那买了有机野性的火鸡。没有荷尔蒙添加剂和抗生素,吃全天然食物长大。完全由农夫夫妇饲养(译注:无机械化的意思)。那火鸡看起来健康又美味可口。缺点?非常贵,6刀/磅

风吹草低见牛羊 发表于 2012-11-27 10:54

我买不到也不会吃... ...

paoding 发表于 2012-11-27 12:06

更致命的“危害”在于:火鸡勾起了世界对印第安人的记忆。。。;P

沐霜 发表于 2012-11-27 12:29

美国人是在感恩这只“自愿”被宰的鸡吗?

coldwarj 发表于 2012-11-27 17:18

火鸡肉据说很柴

寒铁 发表于 2012-11-27 17:49

coldwarj 发表于 2012-11-27 17:18 static/image/common/back.gif
火鸡肉据说很柴

真他妈的难吃