ltbriar 发表于 2008-7-5 16:37

【08.07.05 香港 明報】一本西藏人權活躍人士的回憶錄

【原文連接】http://www.mingpaonews.com/20080705/fac1.htm
【翻譯】 ltbriar      
【聲明】本文翻譯僅限Anti-CNN使用,謝絕轉載。

【原文】
一本西藏人权活跃人士的回忆录          赵耀华:2008年7月5日
(作者是香港大学经济金融学院副教授)

【明报专讯】最近读了英国藏学家和传记作家弗伦奇(Patrick French,1966年出生)的回忆录,觉得很值得推荐。弗伦奇是虔诚佛教徒,积极的西藏人权活跃人士。他在1990年代后期感到意兴阑珊,在西藏地区作了一次为期一年多的旅游,中间秘密访问了许多人物。这本回忆录以这些材料为骨干,夹叙夹议,作品体裁相当特别。

弗伦奇笔下不乏老百姓的悲歌。这里我只举出一个故事:

“1958 年民主改革期间,我们在安多的村子起了很大的变化。共产党员中有一些藏人,但是几乎所有鼓动员都是汉人,他们与我们以前见惯的汉人很不一样。我们被评定为富农,因而被赶出自己的屋子。在一次群众斗争大会中,我的一个伙伴用匕首刺伤了一个干部,之后情就变得很糟糕。共产党把四川佛寺的财产充公,他们拿走了钱、黄金、雕像、粮食储备;问题是这些东西中很多是属于老百姓的,他们以为佛寺是安全的地方,把最珍贵的东西都放到那里……之后,我们被强迫来到寺庙前面,围观一个前度僧侣共产党员示范如何把保护神打破……

“同年,我决定参加游击队。我把女儿交给她姨母照顾,另外交托妻子把儿子送到拉萨,使他得以接近尊贵的达赖喇嘛。我自己则是在1959年起义前夕来到拉萨的,那时城里充斥著来自安多和康区的藏民。一个晚上,我和另外三人在潜入解放军军营准备偷武器时被捕……我最后在1979年获释。

“我回到自己村子的时候,发现几乎什么都改变了。我寻回了女儿,但是在1959年起义失败后逃到了印度的妻儿却音信全无。我于是试图越过尼泊尔边境,一个当地的导游向边防人员告密,但是我还是平安过境了,我再从尼泊尔向印度进发,那是我一生人第一次坐火车。到了加尔各答之后,有个好心肠的印度人找来了一个藏人僧侣,通过他的帮助和花了半年时间,我终于找到了妻子。可是,那时她已经改嫁了!劝她回到我身边不果,我只好独个儿偷渡回到中国。我在边境线再一次被捕,在监狱又关了1年。之后我便开始一直至今的小生意……”

西藏死了多少人

弗伦奇书中还有关于西藏流亡政府的评论,其中最突出的就是西藏死了多少人这个问题。

流亡政府在1980年代进行一个调查,计算到从1950到1979年期间,在中国的统治之下,总共有1,207,387个藏人因饥荒、战斗等原因而不正常死亡。自此之后,这个数字便出现在流亡政府的官方出版物和宣传品。1987年美国国会通过了一个法案,指出“超过100万藏民”“直接由于政治不稳定、处决、监禁、和由于中华人民共和国的政策造成的大规模饥荒”而死亡。从此西方传媒便接受了这个120万的数字。

2002年,弗伦奇在达兰萨拉与流亡政府有关部门几经交涉,终于取得了当年研究的原始资料。不消几天的研究,他便确定这个研究的结果是不能接受的。原本研究的方法要求记录每个死者的名字,但是他看到的材料却没有死者名字,而且“在大多数情下,就从来没有记录过名字”。更可疑的是在100多万死者中只有23,364个女子;但是,1950年代总共的藏人数目大约250万,即男性藏人约有125万,如果调查属实,那么差不多所有男人都死光了!由于弗伦奇是西藏流亡政府公认的朋友,他这个研究结果就变得很有说服力。

弗伦奇笔下也有流亡人物的颓废生活。当他走到达兰萨拉旁边的一个小村子时,他写到:“我看到一个从前认识的一个高级僧,他穿着一件T-shirt和牛仔裤,与一个远看像是西藏女子的人手拖著手,再近一点看,才知道她是个法国人。”“他们看起来十分心满意足──他们各自都有了自己的战利品──我记得当他还在寺庙里的时候,他就很喜欢与一个名叫嘉利的大胸脯新西兰女子玩摔跤游戏,而那时嘉利则很努力地同尽可能多的西藏男人睡觉。”

弗伦奇认为达赖喇嘛是个不行的政治家,认为他没有争取机会在邓小平在生时解决西藏问题是他一生最大的失败。可是,这并没有减弱他对中国政府的批评。关于那个120万人死亡的数字,他所不满意的是不可靠的调查方法而已,他写到:“从我在这次西藏的旅途中听到的各种故事,这个数字并非是不可能的。”

参考:French, Patrick (2003), Tibet, Tibet: A Personal History of a Lost Land, HarperCollins Publishers India.

【英文Translation】
Memoir of a TibetHuman Rights Activist   
Dr. S.Yiu Wah Chiu 2008.07.05
Associate Professor, University of Hong Kong, School of Economics and Finance

【Mingpao】Recently I read about the memoir of Patrick French (1966- ), British Tibetologist and biography author and consider it worthy of recommending. French is a devoted Buddhist and a dedicated Tibetan Human Rights activist. He became rather run down in late 1990’s and made a one year trip in various regions of Tibet where he secretly interviewed a lot of people. The memoir is largely based on these materials, partly descriptive and partly commentary, in a quite unique way.

French’s writing is never short of sad stories of the little people. I just quote one of them:

“In 1958 democratic reform, our villages in Amdo had drastic changes. There were a few Tibetan CCP members, but the majority were Hans, and they were very different from the Hans we used to know. We were classified as “rich peasants” and therefore were driven out of our house. In a public judgement meeting, one of my companions stabbed an officer with a dagger, and things went tough. The Communist Party confiscated all properties of Buddhist monasteries in Sichuan. They took all the cash, gold, sculptures, staple food reserves; however the problem was that a lot of the properties actually belonged to the public. They entrusted their valuable there, thinking monasteries were safe places. Then, we were taken in front of the monastery, watching a former monk CCP member demonstrating how to destroy a guardian god…”

“I decided to join the guerrilla force the same year, and gave my daughter to her aunt (my wife’s sister) for caring, and told my wife to take our son to Lhasa, so that he could be close to His Holiness the Dalai Lama. I personally came to Lhasa the eve before the 1959 uprising. There were lots of Tibetans coming from Amdo and Kham regions. One evening, we were caught when I tried to sneak into the People’s Army camp with 3 other guys to steal weapons… I was finally released in 1979.”

“When I returned to my village, I discovered almost everything had changed. I found my daughter, but had no news on my wife and son who fled to India after the 1959 uprising failed. I attempted to cross the Nepal border, but was reported to the border guards by a local tourist guide, but still, I made it safely. Then I headed for India from Nepal. That was the first time in my life to be on a train. When I was in Calcutta, a kind Indian found a Tibetan monk, through his assistance I finally located my wife after half a year’s time. But she re-married already! I couldn’t persuade her to come back to me, so I could only cross the border illegally back to China alone. I was again caught at the border, and was jailed for a year. Then I started my small business and kept on ever since…”

How many Tibetans had died

In his book, French also criticized the Tibetan Government-in-exile, particularly on the issue of the number of Tibetans died in Tibet.

The Government-in-exile conducted a study in 1980, estimating that 1,207,387 Tibetans deceased under Chinese rule from 1950 to 1979 due to extraordinary causes such as famines, wars etc. Since then, this figure keeps appearing on official publications and propaganda of the Government-in-exile. In 1987, the US Congress passed a legislation indicating that “over 1,000,000 Tibetans perished” “as a direct result of the political instability, executions, imprisonment, and wide scale famine engendered by the policies of the People's Republic of China in Tibet”. Ever since the Western World accept this 1.2 million figure.

In 2002, after several negotiations with the Government-in-exile at Dharamsala, French finally obtained the original data of the study conducted. Within days of reviewing, he concluded the result of the study was unacceptable. The study originally called for recording the name of each deceased, but the information he saw does not show any deceased names. Furthermore “under the majority of the cases, no name had never been recorded.” It was even more suspicious that out of that over a million deceased, there were only 23,364 females. However, total Tibetan population in 1950’s is approximately 2.5 million, i.e. roughly 1.25 million being male. Should the study be valid, then the Tibetan males would almost be all gone! Since French had been a openly recognized friend of the Tibetan Government-in-exile, his research finding becomes forcefully convincing.

French also wrote about the corrupt life of certain émigré. On his trip to a small village near Dharamsala, he wrote, “I saw an elite lama I used to know, in T-shirt and jeans walking hand in hand with a woman seemingly Tibetan, but on a closer look, she is a French.” “They seemed quite contended – each having their own prize – I remembered while he was in the monastery, he liked to wrest with a New Zealander girl with big breasts called Callie, who tried her best to sleep with as many Tibetan men as she could.”

French considered the Dalai Lama a poor politician, saying that he did not seek the opportunity to resolve Tibetan issue during Deng Xiaoping’s lifespan probably is his biggest failure. However, this has not weakened his criticism towards the Chinese Government. With respect to the 1.2 million death statistics, he was simply not satisfied on the unreliable research method.He wrote, “From various stories I learned during this Tibetan trip, this number is not impossible.”

Reference: French, Patrick (2003), Tibet, Tibet: A Personal History of a Lost Land, HarperCollins Publishers India.

[ 本帖最后由 ltbriar 于 2008-7-5 23:49 编辑 ]
页: [1]
查看完整版本: [08.07.05 香港 明報] 一本西藏人權活躍人士的回憶錄