【AC原创翻译】英国:无家可归的圣诞节

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-12-24 14:59 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 noonoo 于 2008-12-24 16:24 编辑

Spending Christmas without a home
无家可归的圣诞节      

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7797579.stm

转载请注明出处,noonoo From Anti-CNN.com                                             

Homeless charities' Christmas campaigns are under way, amid fears the new year could see homelessness surge as people struggle to keep up with their mortgage payments.

流浪者关爱组织最近发起一项“圣诞行动”,此次的目标是那些可能在新年中将无家可归的人,比如一些付不起住房贷款的人们。

BBC correspondents have been visiting the homeless over the festive period.

BBC的记者在节日其间走访了其中一些人。

JON KAY AT A HOMELESS SHELTER IN BRISTOL
Jon Kay在Bristol的一处无家可归者的住处发回的报道

"I can't believe what a difference this place has made," 23-year-old Neil said, with a big grin on his face.

“我简直不敢相信,这个地方给我的生活带来了很大的不同”,说这些话的时候23岁的Neil脸上洋溢着微笑。

"Just three-and-a-half weeks ago I was sleeping rough and moving from hostel to hostel.

“就在三个半星期以前,我睡得很不好,而且还要不停换地方”

"But Emmaus has changed everything for me. It's like the biggest Christmas present ever."

“但是Emmaus改变了我这种状况,这个住处对我来说是今年最大的圣诞礼物”

Neil is one of 20 formerly homeless people living at Emmaus Bristol.

Neil是以前住在Emmaus Bristol的20个流浪者的一个。

It is the very opposite of a temporary Christmas refuge.

这与那些临时的圣诞住所完全不同。

Tucked away in a narrow back-street behind Temple Meads railway station, it provides a permanent place to stay while residents get their lives back together.     

这处住所位于Temple Meads火车站后面的一条狭窄街道里,它提供给那些无家可归的人一个永久性的住处。

Some people are finding themselves homeless as a result of the downturn

一些民众感到他们失去家园的最终原因是经济衰退

The charity which runs Emmaus pays residents (or "companions" as they like to be called) to work in a warehouse over the road, giving them new skills which could help them find a job.

Emmaus的慈善组织提供给这些居民(或者说是同伴们)一份在路边的仓库打工的工作,教给他们一些新的技能,以使他们更快找到新的工作。

The emphasis is on helping people to help themselves.

最重要的是在“授之以鱼”的同时“授之以渔”。

"When you're dossing down on mates' sofas or living in hostels,it's impossible to get a proper job because you can't give them a full-time address," Neill said.

“当你睡在朋友家的沙发上或者住在一些客栈里时,你是不可能找得到一份正式的工作的,因为你给不了人家一个正当的住址。”

"But working here means I have an address, I have money, I have a CV.

“但是在这里工作的话,就意味着我有正式的住所,我不是穷鬼,我也有CV(译注:这是什么的缩写?)”

"I can get myself going again."

“我可以继续很好的生活下去”

Dave Perry, who runs the centre, said they still saw people made homeless for a wide variety of reasons.

Dave Perry,他说在伦敦中心区依然能看到很多人因为各种各样的原因而成为无家可归者。

"Yes, we still have people who have ended up on the streets because of drug problems - or who have left the military and find themselves without a roof over their heads.

“是的,现在依然有很多人浪落街头,其中有些是因为吸毒——有些是离开军队却发现自己没有住处的人。“

"But the economic situation means we are also seeing more and more people who are becoming homeless for financial reasons.

“但是鉴于现在的经济状况,我们将会看到越来越多的人因为个人经济问题而失去家园”

"We've seen businessmen whose companies have gone bust in the credit crunch.

“我们看到很多公司因为信贷紧缩而倒闭,公司职员也随之遭殃”

"And we've seen economic migrants who came to Britain seeking work, but who can't find anywhere to live."

“我们也看到一些到英国找工作的经济移民,到头来却发现无事可做,无处可居”

LUISA BALDINI WITH A HOMELESS MAN IN GUILDFORD, SURREY
Luisa Baldini对一位住在Surrey的无家可归者的采访

"When you first start doing it, it's like, you can't sleep for the first week, and then you just get used to it," 20-year-old Alan Cooper said.

“刚开始的时候,你根本就睡不着,后来你就慢慢习惯了”,20岁的Alan Cooper说。

He has been sleeping rough in Guildford for six months, and has only just got a bed in a homeless shelter.  

他成为无家可归者之后,在Guildford的流浪者住处已经住了6个月,在那里他只有一张床,除此之处别无他物。

Alan Cooper said he could not sleep when he first became homeless

Alan Cooper说,变成无家可归者的前几天根本就睡不着

"I was with my dad when I was younger, basically he couldn't handle me so I got put into care, and I went through five or six different care homes.
"I had so much bad stuff happen in my past, it's like, life goes on, it's just another bad thing."

“我小的时候是父亲照顾我的,他根本就不能担起做父亲的责任,所以我被送到了福利院,我到过五六个福利院”
“我过去的生活发生了太多糟糕的事情,感觉就像我在这个世界上是多余的一样”(译注:译到这里心里头很睹得慌...希望Alan Cooper一切都好)

He had been sleeping in alcoves and in a car park before he got a bed at a shelter. But without a job, he spends his days at a drop-in community centre.

在来到现在这个住处之前,他睡过停车场、桥洞(clcoves)。他没有工作,平时都在一个社会下层人员组成的一个团体里面打花时间。

"If I didn't come here I could get arrested, every day, instead I come here and keep myself out of trouble."

“如果我不来这里,我可能已经坐牢了,每天我都会来这里,并控制让自己少惹麻烦”

COLETTE MCBETH WITH CAT WOOD IN SALFORD
Colette Mcbeth在Salford采访Cat Wood

Cat Wood's Salford home is immaculate. The tree is dressed and the presents are wrapped for Christmas.

Cat Wood的家今天一尘不染,圣诞树上挂满了包装精美的圣诞礼物。

But once the decorations come down she and her nine-year-old daughter will be forced to move out.

但是这些节日装饰让她更加难过,因为她和她九岁的女儿将被强行赶出这个地方。

Her landlady is being repossessed and the local housing association told her it would not be able to find her a new home before Christmas.
"It's really scary.     

她的房东已经收回了房子,而且本地的租房协会告诉她在圣诞节前很难给她们找到新家。

“我们每天都提心吊胆”

Cat Wood and her daughter are facing eviction after Christmas

Cat Wood和她的女儿在圣诞节后将被赶出现在的住处

"I'm getting really emotional about it. It's horrible because you just don't know where you're going to be and where you're going to end up.

"每次想到这些我都犯愁,那种感觉真的是太恐怖了,因为你根本不知道到底要去哪里,也不知道自己能去哪里"

"And that just frightens the life out of me, to be honest."

“这种生活使我终日惶惶不安”

Cat has just joined more than 1.6 million other people waiting for a home.

Cat已经加入了申请住房人员的大军,目前已经有160万人在等待住房。

With repossessions on the rise, the list is expected to grow, but ironically the number of empty homes is increasing too.

现在被收回住房的人越来越多,但是很具讽刺意味的是房屋空置率却越来越高。(译注:宁愿空着房子也不愿降价出租,真是悲哀,这跟美国经济危机时,人们宁愿倒掉牛奶也不降价销售真是曲异同工。)

New-build flats and terraces in Manchester and Salford and many other cities are just as likely to be lying vacant as run-downter races.

在Manchester和Salford及许多其它城市,很多新建成的公寓都因为经济衰退而空置。

But Ms Wood can not afford the rents charged for redeveloped homes just streets away from her.

Wood女士现在付不起房租,也很难找到一个新的住处,这意味着她和她的女儿将要流落街头。

"There's so many empty houses that are available, yet I'm on the housing list and they just turned around and said I'm not guaranteed a house before February," she said.

“明明有很多房子是空着的,而我也在安置列表上面,他们总是驳回我的请求,并且告诉我说,在二月之前我是不能被保证安置住房的。”

LORNA GORDON SEES A MAN REBUILDING HIS LIFE IN GLASGOW
Lorna Gordon在Glasgow采访一位正在重建生活的先生

"If it wasn't for this project, I honestly don't know if I'd be alive."

“如果不是这个保障房的项目,我可能已经死了。”

David, 35, is living in a small flat in a unit of supported accommodation in Glasgow.

现年35岁的David住在Glasgow市保障房的一个小小单元里。

He became homeless when he fell behind with his mortgage payments and lost his home.

如果他不能继续支付房租的话,他将失去自己的家园,并成为一个无家可归者。

He began to take heroin and spent about 10 years on the streets and in hostels, which he said he hated.   

他在10年前吸食海洛因,变而流落街头,他很后悔地说道。

David said the unit he lived in had "saved his life"

David说,他住的小小房子“救了他的命”

"It was very violent and intimidating, because I'm not really a nasty guy, although I'm quite big but I'm a gentle giant.

“那是非常暴力和恐怖的经历,但是事实上我并不是一个真正的坏人,尽管我是一个大块头,但是我骨子里是一个性格温和的人。”

"But if people saw you being the normal way you are yourself they'd take everything from you."

“但是,当人们看到你开始以正常的方式生活并找回自我,他们就会对你放任不管”

Now he is one of hundreds of former hostel residents given help towards independent living.

以前他是数百位流离失所需要别人帮助的人之一,现在他渐渐开始能自己打理自己的生活。

He spends 20 hours a week learning life skills, such as learning how to do the shopping and pay council tax, and is aiming to get a new job.

他每周花20个小时来学习一些技能,比如学会怎么买东西怎么交税,他想找到一份新的工作。

"I've been here for 14 months... I can't believe my luck."

“我在这已经住了14个月了...我庆幸自己如此幸运”

译注:译这篇文章整整花了1个小时零50分钟,其中有一些词汇我很难找到对应的中文,如果有错误请指出,不甚感激。

最后一次为朋友做一次广告,希望大家别嫌我烦哈,呵呵。

朋友的工作室参加网上评选,帮忙点以下链接,然后五项都勾上就可以了。

》》》http://www.bajie.cn/2008/vote.jsp?id=10156

因为这个 每个小时可以投一次 。朋友的工作室排名落后太多了,所以来向偶求助...

不甚感激并祝新年快乐!

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2008-12-24 15:06 | 显示全部楼层
沙发····
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-12-24 15:27 | 显示全部楼层
家家有本难念的经啊
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-12-24 16:25 | 显示全部楼层
才发现很多错别字,版主帮忙较稿,TKS
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 19:47 , Processed in 0.039018 second(s), 20 queries , Gzip On.