【翻译方式】人工
【声明】本翻译供Anti-CNN使用,未经AC或译者许可,不得转载
【原文库链接】http://bbs.m4.cn/thread-163528-1-1.html
【译文】

Ruined Beichuan Starts Anew
废墟北川重获新生

All Things Considered, May 4, 2009 ·
总汇,2009年5月4日

Beichuan, in China's Sichuan province, was devastated by the May 12, 2008, earthquake. More than 80 percent of the buildings were destroyed, and thousands of people were killed.(Shiho Fukada)
北川,位于中国四川省境内,在2008年5月12日的地震中遭到毁坏。80%以上的建筑物被毁,数万人民丧生。(Shiho Fukada摄影)

When the 7.9 magnitude earthquake hit southwest China on May 12, 2008, Beichuan county was among the hardest hit. Twenty thousand people died in that county alone. In the county seat, it's believed half the population perished.
2008年5月12日,中国西南部发生7.9级地震,北川县是重灾区。仅这个县就有2万人死亡。在这个县所辖范围内,据估计有半数人丧生。

Thousands of bodies remain entombed in the rubble of Beichuan. The city is in a deep valley, with mountains on all sides. The force of the earthquake sheared off the sides of those mountains, and the landslides roared straight down onto the city.
数万尸体仍掩埋在北川的废砾中。这座城市位于深谷之中,群山环绕。地震的力量使那些山川断裂,咆哮着直接冲下这座城。

The city of Beichuan is abandoned. A fence topped with concertina wire prevents entry. But the ruined city has become a tourist attraction anyway.
北川被抛弃。用层层线裹着的栅栏禁止人们进入。但这座废墟城市还是变成了旅游观光点。

Touristsoften visit the hillside above the old city of Beichuan, which has beencondemned owing to its unsafe conditions.(Shiho Fukada)
游客们经常去老北川边的山腰,那里因条件不安全而被谴责。(Shiho Fukada摄影)

When I visited recently, I walked by vendors who line the mountain road, selling earthquake memorabilia. Visitors can buy DVDs of disaster footage taken in the immediate aftermath of the quake: aerial before-and-after photographs of the city, and photo books that the vendors make sure to leave open to the most ghastly image of a half-dozen broken, gray young bodies, buried in the rubble.
不久前我来到这里,走过山路旁排开售卖地震纪念品的卖主们。参观者可以买到地震瞬间前后被拍摄到的灾难记录DVD以及图册,DVD是根据这座城震前与震后的鸟瞰照片制成,而图册,则由卖主们毫不犹疑的打开来,呈现在眼前的是些极恐怖的图像:几具身首异处、掩在破瓦砾堆里的惨白尸体。

Local vendor Mu Zhenxian lost 16 relatives in the quake. She now sells photos and DVDs of earthquake destruction on a hill overlooking the city of Beichuan( Andrea Hsu/NPR)
地方上的小贩穆珍娴,在地震中失去了16位亲人。她在出售从山上俯拍北川的地震毁灭照片和DVD。( Andrea Hsu/NPR摄影)

I walked away from the haggling and the cameras on tripods, up a narrow dirt path. I climbed past altars where visitors burn incense and candles, past plaques to honor the earthquake dead. Just before I reached the barrier fence, I found Mu Zhenxian, sitting at a low table behind her earthquake wares.
我离开讨价还价和支着三脚架的相机,走上一条狭窄肮脏的小道。我攀过参观者焚香和点蜡烛的祭坛,走过纪念地震死难者的平台。恰好快到达障碍栅栏那儿时,我发现了穆珍娴(音译),坐在摆放她那些地震物事的矮桌子边。

'I Cry Several Times A Day'
“我每天哭好几回”

Mu Zhenxian trades in images of the earthquake that wiped out much of her family. She lists the casualties.
穆珍娴售卖地震图片,这地震夺去了她家中许多位亲人的生命。她列举着受难者:

"My mother, my brother, my daughter, my niece, my grandson: They didn't come out," she says, meaning they're still somewhere down below her overlook, buried in the debris.
“我妈妈,我兄弟,我女儿,我侄女,我孙子:他们没有出来,”她说,意思是指他们仍埋在她所俯视的某处的废墟中。

All told, she lost 16 extended-family members.
加上远亲,她一共失去了16名亲人。

She pulls out one of the laminated photographs she is selling — an aerial view of the ruined city — and points to one spot.
她从出售的过塑图片(废墟城市鸟瞰图)中抽出一张来,指着某个点。

"My daughter is buried here, underneath this building," she tells me. She points to another spot. "My niece was in the elementary school right here."
“我女儿埋在这儿,在这座建筑物下面,”她告诉我。她指向另一点:“我侄女当时就在这所小学里。”

Mu's granddaughter survived, but she is still hospitalized a year later.
穆的孙女活下来了,但是一年后仍在就医。

"The government pays the medical bills," Mu explains. "But we have to pay for our living expenses. So I have no choice. That's why I'm here, with this tiny business."
“政府支付医疗费用,”穆解释道,“但是我们得自己解决生活费用。所以我没有法子,只好在这里做小生意。”

When I ask her if she's bothered by all the noise and the tourists taking photographs of her family's crude burial ground, she nods.
我问她,那些嘈杂声和游客们在草草掩埋她家人的场所拍照是否都让她觉得厌烦,她点头。

"I cry several times a day," she says. "People ask me to talk about what happened, and whenever I try to tell them, I cry."
“我每天哭好几回,”她说,“人们要我讲述发生的情况,每次一开口,我就哭。”

Build Safe And Build Fast
建的稳当,建的迅速

Anew city of Beichuan will be built 15 miles south of the old city.Here, He Xian, the deputy chief of Beichuan county, reviews the masterplan for rebuilding.(Andrea Hsu/NPR)
一个新北川将会建在老城以南15英里处。这儿,贺县,北川县长,评论着重建模板规划。(Andrea Hsu/NPR摄影)

The plan is for the old, abandoned Beichuan to be turned into a memorial site and attraction. Tourists will be able to visit a quake museum and walk through the city wreckage.
这张设计图是将被弃的老北川转变为一个纪念地和观光处。游客们将可以参观地震博物馆,穿行在城市废墟之中。

Old Beichuan is surrounded on all sides by high mountains — beautiful, but lethal in the end.
老北川被高高的群山环绕,美丽、却最终致命的山峦。

The new Beichuan will be built on an absolutely flat river plain, 15 miles south. Right now the new site is just a broad, open field stretching away toward the distant mountains.
新北川将建在15英里以南的绝对平坦的河谷。现在的新址是一块开阔、向远山延伸的场地。

They cleared away eight villages on this spot to make way for the new city. There is no construction under way. But local officials promise that by the end of 2010, the new Beichuan will be complete: A new city will have risen, with homes for 30,000 people.
他们清理了这个地点的8个村庄,以建立新城市。尽管还没有着手建造,地方官员却已许下承诺,担保新北川会在2010年完工:一座新城市将会平地而起,拥有3万人口。

From China's top leaders on down, the message to local planners has been clear — build safe, and build fast. Local officials such as Beichuan's deputy county chief, He Wang, are feeling the pressure, both from the government and from locals who are tired of a year spent in temporary housing and are anxious to get into their new homes.
从中国最高领导那儿下达到地方设计者处,讯息是清晰的:建的稳当,建的快速。地方官员们,如北川的副县长贺旺感到来自政府和地方的双重压力,后者厌倦了在暂住房呆了一年,而急于迁入新家。

'We Do Feel The Burden Is Heavy'
“我们的确觉得担子很重”

He, 31, is an architect and urban planner, a graduate of China's top university, Tsinghua. He is charged with designing the new Beichuan.
贺(旺),31岁,是建筑师和城市规划者,毕业于中国顶级大学清华,负责新北川的设计。

"All of these expectations have landed on us city planners," he says. "We do feel the burden is heavy and the pressure is quite high."
“所有的期待都落到了我们这些城市规划者身上,”他说,“我们的确觉得担子很重,压力相当大。”

It says something about the central government's commitment to this project that He has been sent to Beichuan, all the way from Beijing, 1,000 miles away.
据说是中央政府委派他到北川的,自1000英里外的北京远道而来。

He's helping to fill a dramatic leadership vacuum: 400 Beichuan officials were killed in the earthquake, one-quarter of its leaders.
他在帮助填补一个引人注目的领导真空:400名北川官员死于地震,占领导层的四分之一。

He lists the six qualities that Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao has insisted must be included in the new Beichuan: safety, livability, the character of the ethnic Qiang people, prosperity, a modern civilization and harmony.
他列举着,中国总理温家宝坚持新北川一定要包括六项品质:安全、可靠,羌族特征,繁荣,现代文明与和谐。

"That's a tall order!" I tell him. "And, do it fast. Do you think you can do it? Are you optimistic?"
“那是最高指令!”我对他说,“而且,要迅速。你觉得你能胜任么?乐观么?”

He answers with a smile, "Optimistic — and confident."
他微笑着答道:“乐观——而且自信。”

译后注:地震过去已一年,看到那些场景仍让人泪下。愿死者安息,生者更坚强。4月20日,北川县委宣传部副部长冯翔,在家中自缢身亡。想说,生比死更艰难,好好的活着最重要。

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2009-5-10 13:55 | 显示全部楼层
言语还行,没出格。

悼念我们的同胞
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-10 18:14 | 显示全部楼层
愿同胞们安息
顶下npr,同样是美国政府出钱的媒体,跟voa的品德完全在两个不同的级别之上。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-11 02:21 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 I'm_zhcn 于 2009-5-11 02:31 编辑

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2020749/posts

"Chengdu Diary" from NPR
National Public Radio| May,2008 | Robert Siegel ,Melissa Block

"All Things Considered" hosts Robert Siegel and Melissa Block are in Sichuan Province covering the massive earthquake. They continue to report on the aftermath and recovery efforts. The hosts were in Chengdu with producers Andrea Hsu and Art Silverman when the quake struck. They were preparing for a special week of China coverage that had been planned for next week. Follow this blog for regular updates.

1.jpg
http://www.npr.org/blogs/chengdu/

Follow this blog for regular updates starting April 6, 2009, as All Things Considered goes back to China's Sichuan Province to report on developments in the year since the May 12, 2008 earthquake.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-11 08:56 | 显示全部楼层
美国政府资助的PBS和NPT是美国最客观和不低俗的媒体。这个现象值得思考。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-11 10:29 | 显示全部楼层
400名北川官员死于地震,占领导层的四分之一
他列举着,中国总理温家宝坚持新北川一定要包括六项品质:安全、可靠,羌族特征,繁荣,现代文明与和谐。

官员也是灾民,用的时候悠着点,上次看新闻说当初一窝蜂来的心理专家们都走的差不多了,现在政府有新的安排吗?!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-11 16:03 | 显示全部楼层
"美国政府资助的PBS和NPT是美国最客观和不低俗的媒体。这个现象值得思考。"
可惜这些媒体的观众都是少数。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-11 16:55 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢媒体客观;
加油汶川!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-11 17:55 | 显示全部楼层
这个记者可以做朋友
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-12 22:55 | 显示全部楼层
这些客观的媒体应该受到更多的关注
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-12 22:59 | 显示全部楼层
关注
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-15 13:37 | 显示全部楼层
NPR 不是美国政府资助的。 NPR 的主页上标明:

“Public Radio, independent, and supported by listeners who give.”
独立和由他的听众所支持的公共电台。

Listener support fuels public radio.
听众的支持为公共电台提供动力。

Stations depend on listener support for the majority of their budgets. And the largest part of NPR's funding comes directly from stations.
电台的主要财政依靠听众的支持。 NPR 的最大资金来源直接来于电台。

http://www.npr.org/stations/donate/index.php?ps=st106

因为没有美国政府的资助, 所以才公正阿。

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 13:03 , Processed in 0.048411 second(s), 25 queries , Gzip On.