【登载媒体】Caltech News 加州理工学院新闻(校刊)
【来源地址】http://pr.caltech.edu/periodicals/CaltechNews/articles/v36/tsien.htm
【原文库地址】http://bbs.m4.cn/thread-204859-1-1.html
【译者】rlsrls08
【声明】译文版权归AC所有,谢绝转载
【翻译方式】个人原创翻译
【原文】

编者按:
这是加州理工大学一篇关于钱老的文章。采访了当年的一位同事与好友Frank Marble,钱老乘船离开美国前几天就是住在他家里。这位同事后受邀到中科院讲学,与钱老又有过几次接触。

Marble是钱学森在美国最好的,可能也是唯一的朋友。当年钱学森被打成异己分子。国防部让Marble不与钱学森来往,否则就取消他的保密级别。也就是不能接触国防有关的文献,也不能做与国防有关的研究。Marble拒接了国防部的要求。在钱学森倒霉的5年里,他放弃了他的保密级别。要知道,那时候,像林家翘等很多中国同行都不与钱学森来往。

这篇文章是Marble为了钱学森90岁生日的中国之行后写的。Marble把钱学森的六箱手稿整理后,运回了中国。这些手稿现在应该在西交大的图书馆吧。Marble跟我们说,因为他退休了,所以有时间把钱学森的手稿每一页都看了一遍。包括钱学森当年博士论文的手稿。

Tsien Revisited
回忆钱学森

Tsien55.jpg
A life in interesting times:Tsien with Marble (right) at Los Angeles Harborin September 1955, preparing to board ship to China.
有趣时期的生活: 19559月,钱学森和弗兰克.马勃()在洛杉矶港口,准备登船前往中国。

First he was accused, thendetained, then deported. Any of this sound familiar?

他先是被指控,然后被拘留,最后被驱逐出境。是不是听起来有点耳熟?

But there was a twist to this tale. A Caltech professor talks about his long friendship with theCaltech-trained scientist who became the “father of Chinese rocketry."

但是,故事并非如此。一个加州理工学院的教授说起他跟加州理工学院毕业的科学家,后来成为"中国火箭之父"的钱学森时说到:

This past December, FrankMarble, PhD ’48, and his wife, Ora Lee, went to China to visit and help honor theirlongtime friend Tsien Hsue-Shen, PhD ’39. Many Caltechers, along with Americanswho lived through the Red Scare days of the ’50s, have at least a glancingfamiliarity with Tsien’s story: a brilliant student and later colleague ofaerospace pioneer Theodore von Kármán, commended by the U.S. Air Force for hiscontributions to its technological development after World War II, theChinese-born scientist was accused of harboring Communist sympathies andstripped of his security clearance in 1950. Tsien and those who knew him bestsaid that the allegations were nonsense, and no evidence ever came to light tosubstantiate them. Despite that, and over a barrage of protests from colleaguesin academia, government, and industry, the INS placed him under a delayeddeportation order, and for the next five years he and family lived under U.S. governmentsurveillance and partial house arrest. In September 1955 they were permitted toleave for China.

去年12月,1948年博士学位获得者弗兰克·马勃(FrankMarble)和他的妻子欧拉·李(OraLee)前往中国访问,并向老朋友,1939年博士学位获得者钱学森颁发荣誉。许多加州理工学院的人,特别是那些跟美国人一起经历过五十年代的红色恐怖岁月的,对钱的故事多少都知道一点:一个优秀的学生,后来成为航天先驱冯卡门的同事,因二战后对技术发展做出的贡献得到美国空军的赞扬,这位中国出生的科学家被指控同情共产党,在1950年被取消机密工作资格。钱和那些了解他的人都说这些指控是无稽之谈,也没有任何证据证明这一点。尽管如此,移民局不顾来自学术界,政府和工业界的抗议,对钱下达了延迟驱逐令。在后来的5年里,他和家人在美国政府的监视和软禁中生活。 1955年9月,他们被允许离开美国前往中国。

Received with open arms inhis homeland, Tsien resumed his research, founded the Institute of Mechanics,and, as one of the world’s leading authorities in aeronautics, went on tobecome the “father” of China’s missile program, a trusted member of thegovernment and Party’s inner circle, and the nation’s “most honored scientist.”

他的祖国对他张开双臂,钱恢复了他的研究,创立了力学研究所,作为世界航空学的领袖权威之一,逐渐成为中国的导弹计划(只有政府信任的成员和党的核心圈子才能参加)"之父",和中国“最受尊敬的科学家”。

Early in the INS saga,Tsien and his wife had planned to visit China so that their parents couldmeet their American-born grandchildren for the first time. But the INSimpounded his luggage and charged him with concealing classified documents—themost “secret” of which, suspected of containing security codes, turned out uponinspection to be a table of logarithms. In the meantime the FBI had decidedthat Tsien posed a security risk and imprisoned him in San Pedro; he was freedtwo weeks later after Caltech president Lee DuBridge, among others, flew to Washington to interveneon his behalf. These incidents undoubtedly helped Tsien to conclude, as heconfided to friends, that he had become “an unwelcome guest” in the country inwhich he had spent his whole scientific life. In any case, he was determined toavoid such problems again, and when he sailed to China, he deliberately left all ofhis research notes and papers behind.

早在移民局事件之前,钱和他的妻子曾计划访问中国,这样他们的父母能第一次见到在美国出生的孙子。但移民局扣押他的行李,指控他暗藏了机密文件,即最“机密”的含有安全编号的那种,但检查结果那其实是对数表。同时联邦调查局认定钱构成安全风险,并将他囚禁在圣佩德罗。加州理工学院院长李·杜布里奇(还有其他人)飞往华盛顿出面干预。两个星期后他被释放。这些事件无疑促使了钱下结论,如他私下对朋友说的,在这个度过了他的整个科学生活的国家,他已成为“不受欢迎的客人”。他决心避免这些问题在任何情况下再次发生。当他乘船返回中国时,他特意留下了他的研究笔记和论文。

Tsien dining with Mao.
钱学森和毛主席。

Among the handful of peoplewho saw the Tsien family off in 1955 were Frank and Ora Lee Marble. Marble andTsien had struck up a warm friendship as aeronautics colleagues, and the Tsienfamily had stayed at the Marbles’ Pasadena home during their final weeks in theUnited States. After Tsien’s departure, he and Marble correspondedintermittently; then, with the onset of the Cultural Revolution in China, Marblestopped hearing from him. In 1979 Caltech named Tsien a recipient of theDistinguished Alumni Award in recognition of his pioneering work in rocketscience, but Tsien, although he sent a gracious acknowledgment, did not come tocampus to collect it.

在1955年只有几个人目睹了了钱一家人离开美国,弗兰克和欧拉夫妇就是其一。弗兰克和钱是航空学术上的夥伴和好朋友。在美国停留的最后几个星期里,钱和家人就住在弗兰克位于帕萨迪纳的家中。钱离开美国后和弗兰克断断续续的有联络,文化大革命开始之后,弗兰克就再也没听到他的消息。 1979年,鉴于他在火箭科学上的创举,加州理工学院授予钱"杰出校友"的名誉。尽管钱发出了礼貌的回复,但并没有到加州理工来领奖。

Time passes. In 1981, Frankand Ora Lee received an invitation from the ChineseAcademy of Sciences to come to Beijing and teachcombustion technology and English. respectively, at the Academy’s newlyestablished Graduate School of Science andTechnology, a small research institute partly modeled on Caltech. Shortlyafterward, the Marble and Tsien families were reunited for the first time in 25years. Marble recalls his feelings before they met. “We had had very differentexperiences and lived in such different circumstances. Would our old, easygoingfriendship and discussions resume? Or was that something that just wasn’t goingto happen?” After half an hour, he says, he had his answer. “There was noobstacle.”

时光流逝。 1981年,弗兰克和欧拉收到了中国科学院的邀请,来到北京,在中科院新成立的研究生院(一个小型的研究机构,有点类似加州理工)一个教燃烧技术,一个教英语。紧接着,弗兰克和钱一家在分别25年后首次团聚了。弗兰克回忆重逢前自己的感受道: “我们有着截然不同的经历,生活在截然不同的环境。曾经的轻松的友谊和讨论能否重现?还是什么都不会发生?“半小时后,他得到了答案: “毫无问题”。

Tsien with Marble in Beijing in 1991.
1991年弗兰克和钱学森在北京

The two families kept intouch after that and saw each other again in China in 1991. In the years sinceTsien had returned to China,Marble had taken on the project of collecting and organizing the extensiveresearch notes—two large file cabinets worth, it turned out—that Tsien had leftat Caltech. Tsien repeatedly said he did not want them back, telling Marble attheir 1981 reunion, “Frank, American students need them much more than Chinesestudents.” A decade or so ago, however, he had a change of heart, and, with thehelp of Tsien’s colleague Cheng Che-Min, PhD ’52, Marble returned thecollection to China.Some papers went to the Institute of Mechanics, founded decades earlier byTsien, and others now form the core holdings of the Tsien Library, which theChinese government had established at Xi’an Jiatong University, about 600 milessouthwest of Beijing. The Chinese Academy of Sciencessubsequently brought out selections from the collection as an elegant, coffeetable-type book entitled Manuscripts of H. S. Tsien 1938–1955, whosepublication coincided with the December 2001 symposium cele-brating Tsien’s90th birthday.

自此,这两个家庭保持联系,在1991年他们又相聚了。钱回国之后,弗兰克接手了收集和整理大量的研究笔记的项目--两个大文件柜的笔记,结果这些是钱离开加州理工学院时留下的。钱一再表示,他不打算要回。1981年团聚时他对弗兰克说: “弗兰克,美国学生比中国学生更需要它们。”然而十多年前他改变了主意,在钱的同事郑哲敏(加州理工1952年博士)的帮助下,弗兰克将笔记还给了中国。一部分笔记到了钱多年前创立的力学研究所,其他的成为今天钱学森图书馆的核心财产,钱学森图书馆是中国政府在西安交通大学设立的。中国科学院后来在这些笔记中选取一部分,出版了一本优雅的适合放在茶几阅读的书,叫《钱学森手稿(1938~1955)》,这本书出版时,2001年12月,碰巧是庆祝钱90岁生日的专题讨论会。

楼主| 发表于 2009-11-5 03:33 | 显示全部楼层

(续)

In December 2001, receivingCaltech’s Distinguished Alumni Award. From left, Tsien, Ora Lee Marble, Frank Marble, and Tsien’s wife, Tsiang Ying.
200112月,获得加州理工学院授予的"杰出校友"奖状。从左至右: 钱学森,欧拉,弗兰克,钱妻蒋英

When Marble went to visitTsien for that event, he went both as a friend and as the official emissary ofCaltech and President Baltimore, bringing with him the Distinguished AlumniAward that the Institute had presented to Tsien in absentia 23years ago. Tsien is now permanently confined to bed, so Marble made the formalpresentation at his bedside in a ceremony that received widespread coverage inChina, and at last provided a fitting coda to Tsien’s long, complicated, andnever completely sundered association with Caltech.

当弗兰克为此事件去访问钱时,他的身份既是一个朋友,也是加州理工学院和院长巴尔的摩的使者,带着加州理工23年前缺席颁发给钱的杰出校友奖。钱已经长期卧床,因此弗兰克在他的床边举行了正式的颁奖仪式,这一典礼得到了中国的广泛报道,并最终对钱与加州理工学院长期的,复杂的,但从未完全断裂的关系提供了一个恰当的尾声。

Marble, who is Caltech’sHayman Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Professor of Jet Propulsion,Emeritus, spoke with Caltech News editor Heidi Aspaturian about his recent tripand earlier visits with Tsien in China.

加州理工学院的机械工程海曼教授和退休的喷气推进教授弗兰克,在接受"加州理工学院新闻"的编辑海蒂的采访时谈到了他最近一次,和早些时候去中国访问钱学森。
Tsien does not speak muchEnglish any more, but his family tells me that he still understands it quitewell. He was thoroughly aware that I was presenting Caltech’s highest honor tohim at the official request of David Baltimore, and I think he was deeplyimpressed with and appreciative of that.

钱已经不怎么说英语了,但他的家人说他听得懂。他很清楚我应院长巴尔的摩的要求,向他颁发加州理工的最高荣誉,我想他对此印象深刻,充满感激。

We weren’t able to talk muchduring my most recent visit, but when I saw him in 1991 and again in 1996, wehad some very interesting conversations. I think in general we both felt lessconstrained than we had during our reunion in 1981. One comment he made to mein 1991 particularly stands out: “You know, Frank, we’ve done a lot for China. Peoplehave enough food. They’re working and progress is being made. But Frank,they’re not happy.” He felt very bad about that—almost, I think, a little bitresponsible for it, although it was not an area he was involved in at all. Hisarea of activity was military and civilian rocketry, and this was strictly apersonal observation. That was about as far as he ever went in saying thatthings were not ideal.

我们最近一次会面交谈不多。但是1991年和1996年见面时,我们有一些非常有趣的交谈。我想,比1981年团聚我们都少了一份拘束。1991年,他跟我说的一段话格外引人瞩目:“你知道,弗兰克,我们已经为中国做了很多。人们有足够的食物。他们努力工作并正在取得进展。但他们不开心。“他感觉很糟糕,我觉得,他似乎觉得自己要为此负责,尽管这根本不是他涉及的领域。他的活动领域是军事和民用火箭,这是严格意义上我个人的看法。这大概是有史以来他说过的最不乐观的话了。

He obviously has good memoriesof Caltech. He speaks of the Institute most fondly, and I think that he feelsthat his time on campus was one of the most enjoyable of his life. In a letterthat his wife, Tsiang Ying, wrote us after our recent visit, she said thatTsien still loves to reminisce about Theodore von Kármán and the wonderfultimes he had at Caltech and to tell the old von Kármán jokes. So I think hestills feels very emotionally tied to the Institute. But it’s important to rememberthat during the entire five-year episode with the INS, Caltech was very good tohim. The Institute continued to honor his professorship and to respect hisreputation. My understanding is that Lee DuBridge, who vigorously supportedTsien, had difficulties with the Board of Trustees, some of whose members wereembarrassed by Tsien’s situation.

他显然对美国加州理工学院有着美好的回忆。他谈到加州理工时最深情,我认为他觉得在加州理工的时光是他最愉快的时光之一。我们最近一次见面后,他的妻子蒋英写给我们的信中说,钱仍喜欢回忆冯卡门和怀念在加州理工的美好时光和讲老冯卡门的笑话。所以我想他跟加州理工仍有感情上的牵连。但重要的是要记住,在移民局软禁他们的整整5年中,加州理工学院对他非常好。学院保持了他的教授职务,并尊重他的声誉。我的理解是,曾大力支持钱的院长李杜布里奇,跟董事会有些矛盾,一些董事会成员因为钱的的事情觉得尴尬。

Once Tsien returned to China, I don’tthink he ever made another trip West. He did travel once to the Soviet Union. Evidently he did not endear himself to hishosts, and he never went back. Otherwise, so far as I know, he did not leave China. I wouldguess that this was largely by choice—he never was a great one for traveling. Ithink that he felt he had so many things to do at home that he had no realdesire to go elsewhere.

一旦钱返回中国,他再也没访问过西方。他曾经前往苏联。显然他没有使东道主喜欢上他,他后来就再也没回去过。除此之外,据我所知他没有离开过中国。我猜想,这是他自己的选择,他从来就不是一个伟大的旅行家。我认为他觉得他有那么多事情要在家里做,他没有真正的愿望去别处。

Tsien never spoke to me abouthow his life and scientific career in America had ended. He was not aperson for looking back or for ruminating about how things might have been. Hewas very much a realist, and my feeling is that he just tuned those last fiveyears in Americaout. I do know that he felt, at least when all this started, that he would beable to do better work in the United States than he would initially in China,where research conditions at the time were very primitive. I believe that oncehe returned to China,what he found there was pretty much what he had expected. But he did have veryable people working with him. Many of them had studied in the United States,and they were devoted to him. I met a few of those who had worked with him inthe early days, and they had the highest praise for the way he had laid out anddirected the program for rocketry development. I think that Tsien also had thegreat personal advantage of being technically and scientifically on top ofthings, and he also had the ear of the government. By virtue of his expertiseand reputation he could convince officials of what needed to be done and accomplishthings that other people couldn’t.

钱从来没有与我谈过他的生活和科学事业如何在美国结束了。他不是一个喜欢回顾和琢磨假设这样情况会哪样的人。他在很大程度上是一个现实主义者,我觉得他只是淡忘在美国的那五年。我知道的是他认为(至少在这一切开始之后)比在中国刚开始时,他在美国可以做更好的工作,因为当时中国的研究条件非常简陋。我相信,当他回到中国时,他发现一切跟他预期的差不多。但确实有一些非常能干的人与他一起工作。其中许多人曾留学美国,他们为他奉献。我见过几个初期与他共事的人,他们对他制定和指导火箭发展计划的方式表达了高度的赞扬。我认为,钱有科技上巨大的个人优势,他也有政府的耳朵。通过他的专业知识和声誉,他可以说服政府官员要做什么,而其他人则无法做到。

He did not talk about hisexperiences during that era. We were both very careful to avoid discussionabout anything that touched on sensitive issues. We would talk about everyother subject—family, music, literature, and some scientific work that wasmutually interesting. He was very enthusiastic and intrigued about some of thework I was doing on combustion processes in vortex flows and told me, “Frank,you have been more honest to von Kármán than I have.” What he meant was that Iwas still involved in the fundamental research areas that von Kármán had workedin, but that he
was now in a very different mode of operation.

他没有谈论他在那个时代的经历。我们都非常小心地避开敏感问题。我们谈论其他话题,比如家庭,音乐,文学和一些共同喜好的科学工作。他对我的旋涡流动的燃烧过程工作很热情和很好奇,并对我说:“弗兰克,你比我对冯卡门更诚实一些。”他的意思是,我还在冯卡门工作过的基础研究领域,但他有非常不同的运作模式。

Tsien, of course, became ahigh-ranking, trusted Party official, but it was evident that he had hadtrouble during the Cultural Revolution. I heard from his colleagues, but neverdirectly from him, that like many leading scientists and intellectuals, hewrote one or two letters of “confession.” Ying, his wife, had a veryinteresting experience. She was head of the Western Vocal Music Department atthe Beijing Conservatory, and commuted between work and home on a motorbike.Apparently the Red Guard was after her in some way and so for severalmonths—maybe as long as a year—she just lived at the conservatory until shethought it was safe to go out again. Her students brought her food and othernecessities.

当然钱成为一个高级别的可信任的党员,但很明显,他在文革期间也遇到了麻烦。我从来没有听他本人说过,但听他的同事说,像许多著名科学家和知识分子,他写了一两份“检讨书”。他的妻子蒋英则有一个非常有趣的经历。她当时是北京音乐学院西方声乐系主任,骑一辆电动自行车上下班。显然,红卫兵以某种方式跟踪了她几个月-或者一年,她就住在学校里哪都不去,直到她认为安全。她的学生给她送食物和其他必需品。

I also spoke to one of Tsien’sclose colleagues, Ch’ien Wei-Zhang. He had earned his doctorate in Canada, was apostdoc at Caltech, and had worked with Tsien at JPL. He also went back to China andpursued a very productive career there. During the Cultural Revolution, the RedGuard accused him of all sorts of things, and he wound up spending some time inthe countryside, stoking an open-hearth furnace for a time at asteel-manufacturing facility. He had a very difficult time of it. So bothTsien’s family and his research circle were affected, although Tsien himselfdoes not talk about that period beyond referring to it as “the 10 lost years.”

我曾跟钱的亲密同事钱伟长谈过话。他在加拿大获得了博士学位,曾在加州理工学院当博士后,并与钱在喷气推进实验室(JPL)共事。他也选择了返回中国继续成果丰硕的职业生涯。在文革期间,红卫兵指责他各种各样的事情,他在农村生活了一些时间,一度在一家钢铁厂给锅炉添加燃料。那时他非常艰难。因此,钱的家人和他的研究环境都受到了影响,但除了称之为"失去的10"之外,钱自己从不谈论自己经历的困难。

Many people have said thatduring his last years in Pasadena Tsien was bitter. I never sensed that. He wasno doubt hurt, but I never saw him brooding about it. It was something that hadhappened, and, as he saw it, he had to react in a way that was appropriate.When he felt he was no longer welcome, he resigned from all the technicalsocieties and sometimes his letters were a bit curt. That was about the extentof it. Apart from the first six months between the cancellation of his securityclearance and the INS hearing, he and his family more or less went on with theirlives as usual. Their circle of acquaintances and friends did narrow, whichmust have been hard. A lot of his former colleagues had become a bit afraid ofassociating with him socially.
很多人说,在帕萨迪纳的最后几年,钱很痛苦。我从来没这么觉得。毫无疑问,他是受伤的,但我从未见过他对此耿耿于怀。事情发生了,在他看来,他必须以一种适当的方式作出反应。当他觉得他不受欢迎时,他辞去所有技术社团的职务,有时他的信很简短。程度仅此而已。在他的机密工作资格被取消到移民局听证会之间的半年时间里,他和他的家人或多或少像往常一样生活。他们的熟人和朋友圈缩小了,这必定是艰难的。他以前的很多同事害怕跟他有关联。

His children were both bornhere, and they have spent time in the United States as adults. His sondid graduate work at Caltech. His daughter studied medicine on the East Coastand has had quite a successful practice there, but she recently decided shewould return to Chinathis summer. Each of them now has a little boy. One of the tender-est picturesI have of Tsien shows him sitting in the backseat of his chauffeur-driven carwith one arm around each little four-year-old grandson.

他的两个孩子都出生在这里,在美国度过了成人的时光。他的儿子在加州理工学院从事研究。他的女儿在东海岸研究药物,在那里相当成功,但她最近决定今年夏天返回中国。他们各有一个小男孩。我有一张最温馨的照片,照片上钱坐在汽车后座,一手搂着一个4岁大的孙子。

I do think that after hisproblems with the INS, Tsien lost faith in the American government, but Ibelieve that he has always had very warm feelings for the American people. Thatcame through again and again in the public statements he made, both here duringthe INS hearings, and after he returned to China. But once he went back to China, I don’t think he wanted ever to deal withthe United Statesin an official capacity again. When Caltech’s former president Harold Brownvisited Chinaas secretary of defense in 1980, Tsien avoided seeing him. When I saw him thenext year, I said, “Tsien, you made a big error. Harold Brown is a great admirerof yours and a brilliant guy.” And he said, “I know. It was a mistake on mypart.” But that is how he felt about it.

我认为在跟移民局的问题之后,钱失去了对美国政府的信心,但我相信,他一向觉得美国人民很温暖。这在移民局听证会期间和返回中国之后他做出的公开声明中一而再,再而三地出现。但是,一旦他回到中国,我认为他不想以官方身份与美国打交道。当加州理工前院长布朗以国防部长的身份在1980年访问中国时,钱避免见到他。第二年当我看到他,我说:“钱,你犯了一个大错误。布朗是你的崇拜者和一个有才气的家伙。“他说,”我知道。这是我的错误。“不过,这就是他如何看待这件事的。

Looking back, I think the mostremarkable aspect of the five years he was detained is the resilience withwhich he returned to his teaching and research, making this period one of hismost productive and innovative. He was instrumentally involved in thedevelopment of the Daniel and Florence Guggenheim Jet Propulsion Center,Caltech’s academic focus of instruction and research in jet propulsion.

回想起来,我觉得他被拘留的5年里最显着的方面是,他愉快地回到教学和研究领域,这一时期是他最有成果和创新的时期之一。他参与了加州理工学院喷气推进教学和研究的学术重点-”丹尼尔和佛罗伦萨·古根海姆喷气推进中心的工作

There’s always been a kind ofsingle-mindedness about his work. He decides what is to be done and heorganizes it and does it. He does not stop to think halfway through, is thisreally what I should be working on? And I believe he adopted the same attitudeonce he returned to China.He did not take time to indulge in speculation or fantasies about “what mighthave been.” He never indicated to me that he had. He was confronted with a newset of problems, and he devoted himself to working full time to solve them.

他的工作中一直有一种单一思维的态度。他决定怎么做,然后他安排并完成它。他并不在中途停下来思考: 这真是我要做的吗?我相信当他返回中国,他也采取同样的态度。他没有沉迷于猜测和幻想“事情可能会怎么样”,他从来没有在我面前表现过这一点。他面临着一系列的新问题,和献出全身心来解决这些问题。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-11-5 03:36 | 显示全部楼层

背景资料: 关于钱学森,郑哲敏和弗兰克马勃

本帖最后由 rlsrls08 于 2009-11-5 03:38 编辑

钱学森的博士生郑哲敏院士:钱先生过世代表一个时代的结束

“我思索许久,感觉钱先生的逝世其实标志着一个时代的结束。像钱先生这样的奉献精神,是那个时代的产物,以后不会再出现了。”中国科学院院士、中国工程院院士郑哲敏在接受《科学时报》采访时说。

钱学森先生去世,是一个令全中国甚至全世界都痛心的消息。对郑哲敏来说,其内心的悲痛更是无法形容:“我都不敢接受这个事实。”

郑哲敏是钱学森当年在美国加州理工学院带的博士生,也是钱学森在国外培养的仅有的两位中国学生之一。“钱老的治学和为人处事的态度对我一生的影响都很大。”郑哲敏说。

他的奉献精神应永远继承下去

“你是第六个打电话来要求采访我的记者了。”11月1日一大早,北京迎来了入冬的第一场大雪,气温骤然降到零度以下。可是,对郑哲敏来说,没有比得知恩师钱学森逝世的消息更让人心冷的。85岁高龄的郑哲敏早早来到中科院力学研究所的办公室接受记者采访。

郑哲敏告诉记者,10月31日下午2点半左右,他正在航天科技集团开会时,收到了钱老逝世的信息,“当时我都不敢相信这个信息。”郑哲敏回忆说,后来打电话向钱学森的秘书求证,才确认这个消息。

“我最后一次见到钱先生是8月11日,那天是钱先生夫人蒋英90岁生日。”郑哲敏说,当时钱学森的精神还很好,他们还一起合影留念,钱学森还十分关切来访的人。

自钱学森逝世的消息对外公布后,郑哲敏也成为媒体关注的焦点。媒体采访少则半个小时,多则一个多小时,对已是85岁高龄的郑哲敏来说,接受采访几乎充斥了他这两天的大部分时间,不过很少接受记者采访的郑哲敏对这些采访几乎都没有拒绝。

郑哲敏认为,接受记者采访,说出自己和恩师之间的故事;更重要的是,让更多的人知道钱学森的为人,也是自己对科学界的一种责任。

“这两天我也在思考,钱先生的去世对整个中国科学界意味着什么?我想它意味着一个时代的结束。”郑哲敏说,从鸦片战争开始到新中国成立,中国社会饱受各种苦难,中国的知识分子报国心切,使很多人走上了科学救国、技术救国的道路,他们对祖国的热爱是发自内心的,其无私奉献的精神令世人敬佩,今天我国已经走上了盛世的道路。

“我们缅怀钱先生是缅怀他无私奉献的精神,是希望他的精神能永远继承下去。”郑哲敏认为。

“不能做不出汗的事情”

1948年,郑哲敏考上国际扶轮社的留美奖学金,著名科学家钱伟长、李辑祥等介绍他去美国加州理工学院学力学。一年后,他顺利取得硕士学位,接着考上了钱学森的博士生。

郑哲敏告诉记者,他第一次接触钱学森是在1949年。当时美国有个Guggenheim基金会,要在两个学校建立喷气推进中心,一个设在加州理工,一个设在普林斯顿,两个中心都希望能邀请钱学森做主任。

“他当时不到40岁,被认为是未来的领军人物。”郑哲敏说。不过,钱学森抉择之后还是决定回到母校加州理工学院。为了迎接钱学森回到母校,加州理工学院的中国留学生给他办了一个欢迎会,郑哲敏也有幸在会上有了第一次与钱学森接触的机会。

“选择做他的博士生,一方面是因为他学术上的成就,另一方面是因为他的为人。”郑哲敏说,而这场师生缘也深刻影响着郑哲敏的一生。

做钱学森的博士生,郑哲敏主要是作热应力方面的论文;更重要的,他有幸能经常聆听到钱学森介绍自己在科学方法方面的心得。

“钱先生对自己的学生要求很高,他跟我说,做一件事情前,必须想想别人是否也在做;如果别人做,就必须比别人做得更好,要超过别人。”郑哲敏回忆说。与此同时,钱学森还十分注意扩大学生的眼界,他告诫学生,不要只盯着自己眼下的东西,提醒他们要看自己做的事情在整个领域占多少分量,是否是关键。

1949年,中华人民共和国成立,郑哲敏取得博士学位后,也希望能尽快回到祖国参加社会主义建设,却遭到美国政府的多方阻挠。1955年,中美在日内瓦达成协议,郑哲敏等一批爱国科学家终于回到祖国。回国前,钱学森特意给郑哲敏饯行。

钱学森特别向郑哲敏谈到两点:一是希望中国也能发展运筹学。钱学森说,美国在二战期间为了提高作战效率,组织了不同的科学家对后勤保障进行运筹管理,充分地调动所有的资源与力量,从而形成了系统的理论。他觉得新中国在建设社会主义过程中,也需要利用运筹学来推动国家的平稳发展,以及进行庞大的组织工程。他希望郑哲敏代他向钱伟长转达这个意思。

二是向郑哲敏询问回国后打算做什么。“他说,无论做什么都一定要对国家建设有贡献,用他的话说就是‘不能做不出汗的事情’。”郑哲敏至今清晰地记得钱学森当时对他说的话:“钱先生说,‘我们一直呆在美国,不了解国内的科学技术发展水平和对科学技术的要求,也许国内的要求很低,但即使是很简单的事情也应该去做,如对水管里的水流压力和流量的控制’。”钱学森认为,要在自然科学和工程技术之间建立一个桥梁,为工程技术提供新的方向方法、新的理念,应当走在工程技术的前面,而不是跟在工程后面。

回国后,郑哲敏先到中科院数学研究所任副研究员。同年年底,钱学森也返回祖国,他随即参加钱学森创建力学研究所的工作。1956年,郑哲敏被任命为该所弹性力学组组长,研究水坝抗震。钱学森找郑哲敏谈话说,我国是个多地震的国家,如何设计能经受地震考验的工程建筑物对国家经济社会发展至关重要,希望弹性力学组能在这方面做些事情。

20世纪60年代初,钱学森交给郑哲敏另一项重要任务——解决爆炸成型的理论和应用。钱学森还认为,爆炸对开路、开矿都非常有用,是国家所需要的重要科学理论。后来在钱学森的倡导下,一门具有重要应用背景的力学分支学科——爆炸力学在我国成立。力学所成立爆炸研究室,中科大成立了爆炸力学专业,郑哲敏被任命为爆炸教研室主任。从那时起,30年来,郑哲敏在研究解决爆炸加工、爆破、核爆炸、穿破甲、爆破安全、高速运动的稳定性以及材料的动态力学性质等应用问题中,对创建和发展这门学科作出了贡献。

他是一个做事很有秩序的人

得知钱学森去世的消息后,郑哲敏有一件重要的事要做,就是给钱学森在美国的朋友加州理工学院教授弗朗克·马勃发邮件。

马勃是钱学森在加州理工学院时代的同事和挚友。1955年,钱学森在非常情况下回到祖国,许多珍贵的手稿散落在办公室和实验室的各个角落,马勃将它们一一收集起来。1993年夏天,郑哲敏去美国参加一个学术会议,从美国带回了一部分钱学森的手稿,足足有80磅重,共1.5万页。这批手稿目前被力学所收藏。

当时,郑哲敏就被钱学森工整而细致的手稿深深震撼。“他的治学素养和为人品德我早已熟悉,可是看到他如此工整有序的手稿,我仍然被震撼了。”郑哲敏说,钱学森的手稿详细记载着钱先生作研究时的过程,包括遇到了什么问题,如何处理的,导师给的修改意见等等,非常整齐和有条理。

“这将是一批宝贵的科学历史资料,他将对年轻的科技工作者提供许多科学上的借鉴。”郑哲敏说。1996年,马勃在中国科学院力学所成立40周年的时候将剩余的手稿亲自带到了中国。

不仅如此,钱学森与各方面的通信,包括给科研人员的、国家领导人的,甚至是当年美国对他的控告书和他回国的船票他都保留至今。

“他做事非常细心,有秩序。”郑哲敏告诉记者,钱学森的秘书在五六年前就已开始整理钱学森的手稿、通信等资料,希望能将钱学森一生的宝贵财富永远留给世人。

《科学时报》 (2009-11-4 A3 纪念钱学森先生特别报道)

http://www.sciencenet.cn/htmlnews/2009/11/224767.shtm
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-11-5 03:39 | 显示全部楼层

加州理工学院院长李-杜布里奇1981年接受采访,讲述钱学森

本帖最后由 rlsrls08 于 2009-11-5 03:46 编辑

钱学森曾经被关押在移民局拘留所,由于这位加州理工学院的院长的帮忙,钱得以被释放。
ZT from http://tigerhead06.blog.sohu.com/135574738.html and http://oralhistories.library.caltech.edu/68/

INTERVIE: Lee Alvin DuBridge talks about Hsue-Shen Tsien

Lee Alvin DuBridge (Part II)
(1901-1993)
INTERVIEWED BY JUDITH R. GOODSTEIN
February 20, 1981
ARCHIVES
CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
Pasadena, California
Subject area
Physics, administration

Abstract
Physicist Lee A. DuBridge becamepresident of the California Institute of Technology in 1946. Inthis interview he recalls his dealings at Caltech with Linus Pauling; hismemories of George W. Beadle, Theodore von Kármán, and J. Robert Oppenheimer;the military Vista Project at Caltech; andthe difficulties surrounding the deportation of Hsue-shen Tsien, Caltech’sGoddard Professor of Jet Propulsion.Administrative information Access

GOODSTEIN: Let me ask you about [Hsue-Shen] Tsien.

DUBRIDGE: Oh, Tsien was such a marvelous guy. He had been here before the war[1938-1946]. I didn’t know him then. He had been in great demand during the waron variousaeronautic and jet propulsion projects. He was as prominent as vonKármán was. He was a real protégé of von Kármán—mutual admiration as far as Icould tell, between them. After the war, he went to M.I.T. as professor ofaeronautics for three years. Then Harry F. Guggenheim decided to finance tworesearch centers for aeronautics, one at Princetonand one at Caltech. And for each one there would be a Robert H. GoddardProfessorship of Jet Propulsion, and there would be financing for an expandedprogram in modern aeronautics, jet propulsion, supersonic flight, and all therest of it. Both Princeton and Caltech wantedTsien to be the Goddard professor, and we won. He came back here, to our greatpleasure. He fitted in so beautifully and was so imaginative and so effective,and so at ease, and respected by the faculty. He was a fine faculty member. Andthen he came in to see me one day [in 1950] and said, “You know I have someelderly parents in China.I

Fig 7. Hsue-Shen Tsien, undatedphotograph.
Caltech Archives.
DuBridge–32
http://resolver.caltech.edu/CaltechOH:OH_DuBridge_2

haven’t seen them for a long time. Of course it wasn’t possible to go backduring the war, but I can probably get back there now. And I would just like totake a leave.” I said, “How long?” He said, “Well, I really don’t know how longI want to stay with them. It depends on my parents’ health. But a few monthsanyway.” And I said, “Of course, you can have a leave of absence.” So he made the arrangements perfectly openly and he told us all aboutit. Well, someone spoke to Dan Kimball, who was then assistant secretary of thenavy, saying that Tsien was going to make a visit back to China. Dansaid, “Oh, no, we shouldn’t let him go to China.”

You know, Chinawas not our best friend. Tsien obviously knew a lot, and Dan Kimball felt thatit was a little risky for him, Tsien, and for the U.S.to have Tsien back in China.Well, I didn’t feel that way. I trusted Tsien enough to know that he wasn’tgoing to take along a lot of his papers to work on, some of his aeronauticaltheoretical work. Well, the trouble is that somebody took Dan Kimball’s remarkseriously and said, “We’ve got to stop him.” How were they going to stop him?Well, the way they found out to stop him was to charge him with having been aCommunist. They found there was a little Communist group here in the thirties.

GOODSTEIN: I’ve heard that said before.

DUBRIDGE: I don’t know who was in it. But there was a little group here, asthere were at many universities back in the Depression days. They said thatthere must be a better economic system, and maybe the Russians had found it.Tsien’s version of his association with that group was as follows. When thischarge was first brought up, he came in to me and said, “I don’t understandthis.” And I said, “Well, did you have any connections with a Communist group?”And he said, “Well, there was a group of people here that had socialgatherings. When I came over to this country, a stranger, two or three of theseCaltech people invited me to their house for a little social gathering and I went several times.” He said, “I guess there was sometalk about politics; but it was mostly just talk about general things, and Iregarded them as purely social events. I certainly didn’t sign up in any waywith any Communist Party. And I didn’t even remember the word ‘communist’ beingmentioned at these affairs.” But somebody had written down on a piece of paperthe names of the people who had attended one of these meetings, and this waslater brought into evidence. I think there was a typewritten list, and over atthe side was written “Tsien.” Well, that killed him. He had been back to China oncebefore [1947] and returned to
this country. And apparently the standard procedure whenyou came back to this country was to answer the question, “Have you ever beenor are you now a member of the Communist Party?” And of course, he wrote “No.”So the charge was perjury—that he had been a member of this Communist group butwhen he reentered the country he had said he had not been.

GOODSTEIN: And the evidence was this list?

DUBRIDGE: Yes.

GOODSTEIN: Did you see the list?

DUBRIDGE: I saw a copy of it. It was put in evidence at his hearings. So he wasarrested and his baggage was seized, with his papers and everything else. Andthe customs or immigration officer said that there was a lot of “very highlytechnical material”—implying that it was secret material.

GOODSTEIN: Was that the first word you had of what was going to happen—whenthey arrested him?

DUBRIDGE: I had heard that there were some rumblings about Dan Kimball’s remarkthat he ought not to go. But I didn’t think they would really move on it. When[he was getting ready to leave], everything seemed to be all right. When we gotword of his arrest, that was the first time I heard of it—he called somebodyhere. They put him in a detention center in San Pedro, where we visited him. Hehad a little cubicle, a room, that was perfectly comfortable. It wasn’t ajail—but it was a detention center. He had a room and a desk and a light and abed and so on. But for him to be detained that way was a terrible blow tohim—to his ego, his self-respect. Here he thought he’d served this country sowell, which he had, and then to be treated in this way….It made him,eventually, very bitter. Well, Clark Millikan and I visited him often, talkedwith all the people we could think of.

GOODSTEIN: Did you talk to Kimball at that time?

DuBridge–34

DUBRIDGE: Clark certainly did. I don’tremember whether I saw Dan or not. Dan was also shocked. He said, “Well, Ididn’t mean that he should be arrested, you know. That’s terrible! He’s noCommunist. There’s no reason for detaining him.” He was irate at the action ofthe Immigration Service—and I think very angry that his passing remark had beentaken seriously, and that there hadn’t been some other way to persuade Tsien not to go. MaybeDan thought I should have persuaded him not to go—I don’t know. Anyway, it wasa sad event. I visited Tsien a couple of times down there and just talked tohim, to get his reflections about it. They finally put him on parole and hecame back to  Pasadena. But he could not leave Los Angeles County without permission. And he was put on parole under the supervision ofClark Millikan, who had to swear that he would report if Tsien left the county.It was a very humiliating experience. But finally the parole was lifted and hewent back to China anyway [1955].

Then he became a very bitter anti-U.S. man. Recently Caltech decided to offerTsien the Alumni Award, and he said he could not come. He wrote to Frank Marbleand said, “The reason I can’t come is because I’m still under a deportationorder. If I were to come back to the United States, I would assume that thatdeportation order would be brought out, and I would be excluded. So I don’twant to get into trouble. I would like to come back. I would like to visit.”

Marble sent me a copy of the letter and said, “What can we do about this?”Thisis just a few weeks ago. The only thing I could think to do was to write FrankPress [science advisor to President Carter]. Frank Press then wrote to me inreply, saying he was interested to hear about this and he would get somebody atwork on it promptly—but of course he left [the White House] January 1st, and Idon’t know what’s happened since.

GOODSTEIN: Was Tsien framed? Do you think it was a real piece of paper with areal list of people?

Frank E. Marble, now Hayman Professor of Mechanical Engineering and professorof jet propulsion, emeritus, was Tsien’s friend and closest associate atCaltech.
The award was hand-carried to China some twenty years later, in December 2001,by Frank Marble, who presented it to Tsien on behalf of Caltech

DuBridge–35

DUBRIDGE: Yes. I had no reason to doubt it, because wefound out during the McCarthy days that two or three Caltech graduate studentsand others were involved. It was really a small Communist group. And some ofthe people later admitted it. But I do believe Tsien when he said that he didnot regard this as joining the Communist Party. He was a lonesome stranger in this country, and to be welcomed by this nice group of people among the Caltechfamily and some people around town, I think….He said he had fine times at thesenice social gatherings, never dreaming that he was involved in anythingimproper. “Framed” is not the right word; I think it was just a series ofmisunderstandings and overreactions.

GOODSTEIN: Did the trustees become very upset about Tsien? They were upsetabout Pauling. The business with Tsien happened in the same time period.

DUBRIDGE: Yes. I suppose that the ones who didn’t like Pauling also believedthe charges against Tsien. I remember telling the trustees about it—that we hadlooked into it and that we were convinced that he did not belong to thisCommunist group but was associated with some of them, as a lot of people were.I don’t recall any vigorous remarks among the trustees about it. Some of them,I know, felt that [the way he was treated] was a shame. Some of them cooperatedwith us in seeing whether we could do something about it. But I suppose some ofthem thought,“Well, if he’s a Communist, then let’s just put him over in Chinaagain.”

GOODSTEIN: Well, they certainly produced a very ardent Chinese Communist as aresult.

DUBRIDGE: That’s right.

http://oralhistories.library.caltech.edu/68/01/OH_DuBridge_2.pdf
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-11-5 03:48 | 显示全部楼层

爆炸力学的开创者——郑哲敏

本帖最后由 rlsrls08 于 2009-11-5 03:49 编辑

郑哲敏先生简介:
  著名力学家、爆炸力学专家。历任中国科学院力学研究所所长、非线性连续介质力学开放实验室主任,中国力学学会理事长,力学学报主编,中
国科学院海洋工程科学技术研究中心主任,中国科学院技术科学部副主任等职。1980年当选为中科院院士,1994年被遴选为中国工程院院士。

记者手记:

每一次走进位于中关村四环路边上的中国科学院力学所,都有一种莫名的感觉,这座上世纪50年代建成的楼宇,它的高大、宽阔以及深邃给人以静谧神圣之感,它舒展的庭院和苍桑的树木更与车水马龙的四环路迥然不同。其实,还不仅这些,走到它的主楼大厅,看到两旁悬挂的钱学森、郭永怀等等数十名大科学家的画像,就有一种穿行在我国科学历史中的错觉,此时此刻,与这些共和国的科学家是如此贴近,他们不仅创建了这个研究所,发展了中国的力学研究事业,他们还是新中国的科技元勋。而我要采访的对象,他的画像也挂在其中,他是钱学森先生的学生、郭永怀先生的同事,他与他们有着相似的经历和情怀,也有着自己的传奇和故事,他就是我国著名的应用力学家、两院院士郑哲敏先生。

今年85岁的郑先生,从1958年搬进这所大楼后,就在这里从事科学研究。现在依然每天上午穿过四环路从位于黄庄小区的家步行到所里上班,在这个初春的上午,郑先生一身休闲装束:条绒西装、牛仔裤。

http://www.gmw.cn/CONTENT/2009-05/20/content_921638.htm
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-11-5 03:53 | 显示全部楼层

钱学森在美国的老师冯.卡门关于钱学森的回忆(图)

1945年,冯·卡门和钱学森(中)等在德国考察。

我的朋友钱学森是我1945年向美国空军科学顾问组推荐的专家之一。他是当时美国处于领导地位的第一流火箭专家,后来变成了世界闻名的新闻人物。钱学森作为加州理工学院火箭小组的元老,曾在二次大战期间对美国的火箭研究作出过重大贡献。

美国情报机关无视钱学森的学识、名望以及对美国的贡献,1950年指控他是外国共产党分子,硬说对他所居留的国家构成危害。当他打算动身回归中国时,被移民局逮捕,关押在拘留所里两个星期。随后,违背他的意愿,被滞留在美国达五年之久,经常受到被放逐的威胁。1955年,他在饱尝不公正待遇的辛酸后,收拾行装,返回祖国。美国实际上并无真正站得住的理由,就把最出色的一位火箭专家奉送给了红色中国。

美国这一悲剧是如何发生的呢?钱学森出生在上海,在他称为古老中国庄严中心的北京长大。在那里,他进入一所专为富有才能的青年设立的中学。接着去上海交通大学攻读机械工程。1935年,他考取庚子赔款公费留学,前往美国,在麻省理工学院取得硕士学位。1936年的一天,他来征询进一步进行学术研究的意见。这是我们第一次见面。我抬头看到一位个子不高、仪表严肃的年轻人。他异常准确地回答了我的所有问题。他思维的敏捷和富于智慧,顿时给我以深刻印象。我建议他转到加州理工学院来继续深造。

钱同意了。他在许多数学问题上和我一起工作。我发现他非常富有想象力,具有天赋的数学才智,有成功地把数学与自然现象中物理图像结合在一起的非凡能力。作为一个青年学生,他帮我提炼了某些思想,使一些很艰深的命题变得豁然开朗。这种天资是我所不常遇到的,因而他和我成了亲密的同事,并很快引起学院其他教授们的注意。

钱喜欢到我家作客。由于他饶有风趣的见解和诚挚直率的风度,我妹妹总是很欢迎他的到来。他丰富的想象力和各种新颖的思想,使我们倾服。记得在试验导弹的早期日子里,钱意识到导弹日益增长着的重要性:半开玩笑地建议在美国设立一个喷气式武器部,在那里应能集中力量研制导弹。他当时指出,这里的技术同其它类型武器所要求的完全不同,必须委托给军事部门的一个新团体,要用新的军事思想和思想方法去进行研究。后来证明这是非常正确的。他甚至还建议我们成立一个学会来促进喷气推进技术。

对实现加州理工学院的喷气助推起飞研究计划,钱有过重大贡献。后来,他接受我的邀请,参加了空军科学顾问组。

在加州理工学院的校园里,钱并不是最为一般人爱戴的教授,因为他严厉、性情急躁,对学生显得有点傲慢。不过,我认为对于学生来说,同他接触,了解一下他如何对待和处理技术问题是颇有益处的。他对我一直非常尊敬,虽然我们已经成为亲密的朋友,他还是用那种古老的中国方式称呼我为“尊敬的老师”。在中国。

这也许是一个人给别人的最高赞词。1947年2月,我愉快地推举他为麻省理工学院正教授。

此后不久,钱收到从中国的来信,说他的母亲去世了。他决定回祖国去安抚年迈的父亲。这是他12年来第一次回国。几个月后,在一封长信里他十分详尽地告诉我他在祖国见到的人民贫困和痛苦。当时那里是在国民党人手里。信的结尾他顺便告诉我,他已经和一位名叫蒋英的姑娘在上海结婚,准备把她带来美国。她是一位具有歌唱家天才的可爱的世界主义者,曾在柏林研究过德国歌曲,后来在苏黎世接受一位匈牙利女高音歌唱家的指导。钱爱好音乐,看来他很幸福。我也感到高兴,他终于找到一位具有国际知识的妻子。

有一件事他没有提及,是我后来听说的,他在中国时,曾拒绝接受要他担任交通大学校长职位的聘请。

他值五个师:

在麻省理工学院执教两年左右后,钱又回到加州理工学院,担任喷气推进课程的戈达德教授以及丹尼尔和弗罗伦斯8226;古根汉姆喷气推进中心的领导人。实际上他在1949年已经写过第一篇关于核火箭技术的出色论文,至今仍被认为是这个领域中的一篇经典性名著。

这时,在美国,以麦卡锡为首对共产党人实行了全面追查。在全国掀起了一股驱使雇员们效忠政府的歇斯底里狂热。加州理工学院,这所素有维护许多奇特的、独立的科学家名声的小小加州学府,不可避免的会受到注意。凡是于1936年至1939年期间在加州理工学院生活过的人,都有披视为四十年代中不可靠分子的危险。

一天,怀疑终于落到了钱的身上。事情可能是这样开始的:当时要他揭发一个名叫西德尼8226;槐因包姆的化学研究负,此人曾在一起与共产主义有关的案件中提供过伪证而正在帕沙迪纳受审。钱同他有过一般交往,为他介绍过职业,还曾去过他家欣赏古典音乐。

钱拒绝揭发他的朋友,1950年7月间,军事部门出乎意外地突然吊销了钱参加机密研究的证书。

钱的自尊心受到了严重伤害。他去找加州理工学院院长李8226;杜布里奇,申明失去了接触机密正书,他根本无法继续进行喷气推进的研究。他感情激动地说,宁肯回中国老家去,也不愿在受人怀疑的情况下继续居留美国。杜布里奇安慰他,希望他保持镇静,建议他对这个决定提出申诉。但是,钱并不想提出申诉,因为他感到,正像他的许多朋友遇到的那样,在当时的气氛下,一个异邦的中国教授不会有多大希望打赢这场官司。何况钱又是那么骄傲,他并不认为他必须向当局证明他不是一个共产党人。

当钱的接触机密证书被吊销时,我正在欧洲。我从杜布里奇院长那里听到这消息后,即刻写信给钱,表示我的震惊,并告诉他我将为他做我能做的一切。许多重要人物出来声援钱。但无济于事。

钱会见过丹尼尔8226;金布尔。金布尔作为海军次长,对钱在喷气推进中心承担的研究计划负责。钱告诉金布尔,如果不恢复他的证书,他打算回中国去。但是毫无结果。这样,钱就定下决心,打电话给这位次长,说他已经准备动身了。

金布尔十分激动,随即通知了移民局。事后他私下对我说,这是因为怕钱回到中国使共产党人得到美国喷气推进研究的军事机密。然而,后来事情竟然这样快地变糟,我想金布尔也会感到惊奇甚至震惊(据外电报道,丹8226;金布尔曾说过:“我宁肯把他枪毙,也不愿放回中国,无论在什么地方他都值5个师。”——校者注)。移民局不仅搜查他,粗暴地对待他,还在特米那岛上的拘留所中把他拘留了14天,直到收取了巨额保释金以后才释放了他。

后来事情竟发展到了极点。海关没收了他的行李,包括800多公斤书籍和笔记本。他们硬说其中有机密材料。全世界各国的报纸都刊登新闻说:一名“共产党间谍”企图携带机密文件离开这个国家。当然,这都是谎言。事实上我听说,钱是足够正大光明的。在他打包以前,曾把所有资料交克拉克8226;米利根检查过。接着,帕沙迪纳的美国检查官在审查了钱的所有材料之后,辨明钱是无罪的。

可是,1950年10月,移民局根据麦卡锡法案,发布一项放逐令,宣称钱是一名外国共产党分子,因为他在1947年非法地再度进入美国。这样一来。这位仅仅在两年前还获得过美国政府最高赞扬的骄傲而有教养的人,发现自己不仅完全处于被迫害的境地,而且处于被抛离这个国家的危险之中。

终于回国钱变得十分阴郁。他已经不能集中精力去研究技术问题了。

我和我的所有同事都确实相情,钱并不是共产党员,最多不过曾同某些后来被认出是共产党员或共产党同情者的人有过一般社交关系,移民局捕风捉影的证据是全然不可信的。曾经有好几种说法。我的朋友马勃教授告诉我,其中一个说法是:

两名洛杉矶警官说他们曾经在其形容为共产党员登记卡片上,见到过钱的名字,但却不是钱本人的笔迹。“似乎还提出过其他疑点。

马勃教授还告诉我,一位共产党教授曾被要求提供证明,证实钱是共产党。最初这位教授拒绝作证,他说对饯的指控是不真实的。后来他被起诉,政府威胁他说,因提供伪证罪他将被判处四年徒期。他旋即改口,作了“伤害性”供述,说他“设想”钱是一名共产党人,在一次所谓共产党会议上好象看见过钱。

帕沙迪纳移民局下令驱逐钱出境,甚至带有威胁地诣往说,如果钱不承认是共产党员,就要判他以伪证罪。作为事情的完结,钱被滞留美国长达五年,以致中国公开发表声明,谴责美国政府在违背本人意愿的情况下监禁了一个中国公民。

拘留钱的目的,是要使他当时所掌握的一切知识变得陈旧过时。钱继续在加州理工学院执教,但必须每月向移民局作一次汇报。对他来说这是一种屈辱。他从未放弃口中国去的打算,因为他觉得,只有中国在真正营救他,而且在那里他会得到应有的礼遇。

钱学森、他的妻子蒋英以及他们的两个孩子于1955年离开了这个回家。有传闻说,他是与一个红色中国手里的盟军俘虏在华沙进行了交换,但我并不认为这是真的。无论如何,中国政府乐于请他回到中国。于是,美国火箭技术领域一位最伟大的天才,我的一位杰出学生,就这样交给了共产党人。

http://news.wenxuecity.com/messa ... -gb2312-952102.html
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-11-5 04:02 | 显示全部楼层

关于Jet Propulsion Laboratory(JPL) 美国喷气推进实验室的一点介绍

喷气推进实验室 (Jet Propulsion Laboratory)
  美国一个以无人飞行器探索太阳系的中心(JPL),其飞船已经到过全部已知的大行星,是位于加利福尼亚州帕萨迪那美国国家航空航天局的一个下属机构,负责为美国国家航空航天局开发和管理无人空间探测任务,行政上属于加州理工学院管理,始建于1936年。

【概述】

美国国家航空航天局(NASA)下属的喷气与推进实验室坐落在帕萨迪纳和La Canada Flintridge之间,靠近加利福尼亚州的洛杉矶。

【实验室历史】

喷气与推进实验室的历史可追溯到1930年。当年加州理工学院的教授西奥多·冯·卡门(Theodore von Karmen)开始在当地进行火箭推进器的实验。实验室的联合创建者包括火箭科学家钱学森(Tsien Ysue-shen)和Jack Parsons。一些人甚至称此实验室为Jack Parsons实验室。尽管被称之为喷气与推进实验室,它从来没有进行过对涡轮增压推进器或者其他类型的喷气发动机的研究工作。火箭发动机直到1940年代中期经常被称为喷气发动机。第二次世界大战期间美国空军委托喷气与推进实验室对由纳粹德国研制的V2火箭及其他的军事项目进行战果评估。基于此研究成果,喷气与推进实验室首先研制了MGM5型导弹,此后又研制发展了MGM29A型短程地对地导弹,此项研究直到1958年才被停止。
  到了1958年,喷气与推进实验室的政府职权全部转移到了新成立的国家航空航天局,喷气与推进实验室的无人星际探索的任务就此开始。在职权转移后,喷气与推进实验室保留了其原来的名字。尽管大部分的关于喷气推进器的研究在1958年后就停止了,喷气与推进实验室在1995年又加入到了设计推进器的项目之中,这一次是和韦克曼空间探测器与推进器公司(Wickman Spacecraft and Propulsion Company)合作,共同研制和发展火箭发动机和喷气发动机。这种发动机可以通过直接燃烧火星大气层中的二氧化碳以产生动力。

【地理位置】

喷气与推进实验室坐落在La Canada Flintridge城中,总占地面积为177英亩(约为72公顷),占地皆归政府所有。但是实验室的大门及一些办公楼却坐落在小城Pasadena,所以它也就保留了在Pasadena的地址。五月公众开放日(也就是实验室真正地址)的地址为:4800 Oak Grove Drive, Pasadena, Calif. 前往参观路线指南:From the 210 Freeway, take the Berkshire Avenue/Oak Grove Drive exit. All visitors should wear comfortable shoes -- no buses will be provided from JPL parking lots. JPL will provide vans for mobility-challenged guests.

【日常工作】

雇员
  共有大约5000名全职加州理工学院的雇员,此外还有几千个以其他合同形式雇用的员工,他们可以专门在指定的时间工作。此外NASA还专门在此为政府人员设立了一个办公室以便监督实验室与政府间合同的执行情况。这里还有一些加州理工学院的在校生和实习生等。

参观日
  喷气与推进实验室在每年的五月份的一个周末向公众开放。大众被邀请参观实验室的设施,目睹实验室有关科学技术的演示。如果事先约定好,一些有限制的参观也是被允许的。每年有数以千计的来自加州及其他各州的中学生们来参观实验室。

其他工作
  除了和政府之间的项目外,喷气与推进实验室也协助在其附近的电影电视工业,对一些关于电影中所涉及到的科学的准确性提供经常的建议,例如科幻影片《巴比伦5号》以及其后续系列。

资金来源
  喷气与推进实验室是一个由政府提供资金的科研机构。它由加州理工学院受NASA的委托下进行管理。喷气与推进实验室所进行的科研项目中包括了伽利略木星探测任务和火星漫步任务(包括1997年的火星探路者任务和2003年的火星表面探测任务)。喷气与推进实验室已经向我们的太阳系中的每个行星都发射了无人探测器。喷气与推进实验室还进行了对地球准确测量的任务。它控制着全球的深空探测网络,这些设施分别坐落在加利福尼亚的Mojave沙漠,西班牙的马德里附近和澳大利亚的堪培拉附近。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-11-5 04:16 | 显示全部楼层
译者有话说:

由于我曾经在加州洛杉矶的卫星城-Pasadena帕萨迪那住过几年,也有幸去过加州理工学院,并认识在那里就读的中国留学生和在JPL 美国喷气推进实验室工作的中国人,所以在翻译过程中看到这些名词实在是亲切。

在翻译过程中我几度忍不住落泪。通过多方面多角度对钱学森的描述,我们可以感觉到这是一个具有高尚品格和优秀才智的人。他在美国和在文革期间遭受了许多困难,但他并不怨天尤人,一蹶不振,而是默默耕耘,尽自己一份力。现在,钱老已经逝去,却有人跳出来讲一些什么"真相",什么钱老对中国导弹事业的贡献不大,只是被人为拔高的代表和典型人物等等。不知是何居心?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-5 08:48 | 显示全部楼层
楼上的,不要理会那些逢中必反的Loser

记住冯卡门和marble的话,明确自己的目标,向前看而不是往后看.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-5 10:40 | 显示全部楼层
自由派为了美国化应已经丧心病狂了,一切都可以成为他们攻击体制的工具了,雷锋可以,钱学森也可以了,
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-5 10:46 | 显示全部楼层
钱爷爷的一生真幸福。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-5 11:11 | 显示全部楼层
不要再怀疑他对祖国的热爱,无论他是怎样回到祖国的。不要再怀疑他对祖国的贡献,无论他曾经做过什么。瑕不掩瑜,他已经做到了他能做到的。他无私的奉献精神,现在的人难以望其项背。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-5 11:35 | 显示全部楼层
向前看而不是往后看.
如果不是美国移民局的迫害,钱学森未必会回国。这是美国的损失,麦卡锡主义也很恐怖啊。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-5 11:59 | 显示全部楼层
正是因为美国那么粗暴的对待钱学森,所以他才不去美国领奖,也不再踏入美国半步.
在谈到他的手稿时,他说这些手稿"美国学生比中国学生更需要它们".
话外之音:我可以把中国学生教得更优秀,不让我带出手稿对我根本没有妨碍.
钱是一位优秀的人,骄傲的人,有志气的人.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-5 15:09 | 显示全部楼层
中国新学子要向钱学森学习,赶超钱老的业绩,青出于蓝而胜于蓝以告英灵!:)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-5 15:21 | 显示全部楼层
they have spent time in the United States as adults.
他们都在成年后到了美国

谢谢楼主翻译好文!楼主辛苦!

评分

查看全部评分

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-5 18:26 | 显示全部楼层
有的人去了
他的精神会长存来鼓舞还活着的人奋发
这不愧到世上走一遭
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-5 22:15 | 显示全部楼层
哇,好文,楼主辛苦了
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-5 22:39 | 显示全部楼层
好长的翻译
谢谢楼主了咯
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-11-6 02:47 | 显示全部楼层
they have spent time in the United States as adults.
他们都在成年后到了美国
忧心 发表于 2009-11-5 15:21

Thank you for the correction.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 15:51 , Processed in 0.058641 second(s), 23 queries , Gzip On.