[复制链接]
发表于 2011-4-19 15:11 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
【中文标题】东西方文化在我身上的融合
【原文标题】Reconciling My Two Cultures
【登载媒体】纽约时报
【原文作者】DUNCAN JEPSON
【原文链接】http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/15/opinion/15iht-edjepson15.html?ref=china

一半中国人和一半英国人的感觉真不错。

在我40岁年龄中的大部分时间里,中国人在我看来都是被殖民的对象、雄心勃勃的移民者和朝气蓬勃的共产主义者;而英国人是殖民者、战争胜利者、世界杯主办国和八国集团的成员。这种完全不协调的现状让两种文化很难在一个个体中融合在一起。

中国突然变成了世界第二大经济体,Vogue China杂志说,上海的生活魅力无限,北京也是经济的热土。我们突然要重新开始衡量中国和西方文化间的关系和重要性了。

对于一些出生在西方的亚欧混血人来说,通常的选择都是彻底倾向西方文化,对自身的文化冲突和纠结置之不理。但是,我一直试图在自己的内心身处,为两种文化寻找一个共存的位置,尽管它们经常是如此的针锋相对。

完整地论述二者的区别是不靠谱的。我曾经在奥斯威辛一座建筑物的牌匾上看到了George Santayana的名言,我发现,这句话清晰解释了西方文化和中国文化的不同行为取向:“忘记历史的人注定要重演历史。”

这句话明确指出了西方核心的发展理念所存在的危险——进步就是永远追求自由、平等、繁荣和其它理想。

中国人的发展理念与此完全不同:要尊重历史;困惑的时候,遵循从前的做法而不是另辟蹊径。儒家思想的核心教义可以被总结为:在决策未来时,首先要回顾历史。

中国人很难脱离中国历史强大的思维定式,所以中国人需要被提醒的事情就是与Santayana名言所相反的意思:从历史中解放自我,去追求个性。

就是在这种完全对立的生活态度上,西方人和中国人经常无法相互理解,很多欧亚混血人也常因此形成矛盾的心理。

受过教育的西方人在原则和推理的基础上追寻理想。然而对于中国人来说,理想不能果腹、不能获利,也不能让人富有智慧。孔子之所以还是中国人人生观的榜样,是因为他被看作是务实、合理,以及通常情况下成功的生活方式的倡导者。

回顾历史、吸取教训、规划成功的未来,这是一个多么具有诱惑力的行为方式啊。既安全又保守,当然,如果你具有像中国人那样极为漫长的历史可以用来回顾的话。

对我来说,两种文化难以融合的最明显的一个例子就是公平的概念。在西方,这个概念及其背后的理想长久以来被倾注了巨大的力量,甚至因此而引发了革命。我认为,公平是西方文化中最美好的理想之一。

在中国人的哲学中,没有一个恰当的词语可以完美地描述公平这个概念在西方所代表的态度,它似乎并不是中国文化中的一部分。决策并不是在平等的意义上做出的,而是依靠命令,命令在数千年历史中来自于上天安排的那个人,在最近60年中来自于党安排的那个人。

这些观点几乎是不可协调的,但是我认为已经有了一些改善的迹象。在学术范围之外,对中国理想方面的关注越来越多,比如公平的理想,例证就是工厂工人为增加工资而开展的运动。同时,尽管中国坚持正面的发展,但近期抓捕艺术家和作家的行为让人们心头沉重。

我同时还在关注西方在2008年金融危机之后形成的财政和社会烂摊子。例如,我注意到英国做出了艰难的决定,用羞涩的钱包勉强维持社会福利制度。我不禁想,或许我们可以借鉴中国的做法。

俗话说,千里之行始于足下。那么,像中国人一样前进两步退后一步的做法,或者像欧洲人一样昂首跨出一大步,展望未来,而回头时往往为时已晚的做法,哪一种会有更好的效果呢?这是所有欧亚混血人内心必然纠结的一个问题。

最终,我无法决定哪种方式更好,因为我更相信两种生活方式各有利弊。我接下来要做的就是找出各种方式的优势所在,为己所用。大部分欧亚混血都知道的一件事情就是,世界太小了,没有那么多非黑即白的事情。

看着香港市区的人群,我猜想,一些坐在婴儿车中的欧亚混血人在未来或许可以为西方和中国的融合做出更大的贡献,消除差异,创造出一种新的文化。

原文:

HONG KONG — It is a fascinating time to be half Chinese and half English.

For most of my 40 years, the Chinese have been the colonial subjects, the aspiring immigrants and the overzealous Communists while the British have been the colonialists, the winners of wars and a World Cup and a member of the G-8. The imbalance reflected the difficulties of reconciling the two cultures in oneself.

Suddenly China is the second largest economy, living in Shanghai is cool and, as Vogue China says, Beijing is hot. Suddenly there is more of a balance between the importance and relevance of the Chinese and Western cultures.

For some Eurasians born in the West, it was always easier to be simply Western and forget the cultural conflicts and daily struggles. But I always wanted to seek a place within me for both cultures, even though they often seemed so opposite.

Putting a finger on the difference, however, was elusive. It was in George Santayana’s celebrated quote on a plaque at Auschwitz that I found a clear articulation of the difference between the Western and the Chinese approaches: “The one who does not remember history is bound to live through it again.”

The words warn against the dangers of a key Western assumption: that progress lies in moving forward in a constant pursuit of freedom, equality, prosperity and other ideals.

The Chinese start with a very different assumption: History is to be respected; if in doubt, follow the past rather than depart from it. A central tenet of Confucianism could be summarized thus: One should first look back before making a decision about the future.

It is not easy to escape the gravitational pull of Chinese history. So the Chinese need a different kind of reminder, the converse of Santayana’s words: Free yourself of the past and choose as an individual.

It is in these opposing approaches to life that Westerners and Chinese regularly fail to understand each other, and where the struggle for coherence arises in many Eurasians.

The educated Westerner chases ideals, founded on principles and discourse. For the Chinese, an ideal does not fill stomachs with food, bank balances with assets or brains with education. Confucius still stands as the paragon of Chinese philosophy because he is seen as advocating a practical, sensible and often successful way of living.

Looking back in history for lessons for a successful future is very seductive, though safe and conservative, if, like the Chinese, you have an extremely long history on which to draw.

To me one of the clearest examples of how difficult it is to reconcile the different approaches rests in the idea of fairness. For a long time now in the West, that word and the ideal behind it have been invested with such power that it has started revolutions. I believe that fairness is one of the most beautiful ideals of Western culture.

In Chinese philosophy, there is no popular word or attitude that really captures what fairness means in the West; it does not seem to be a part of Chinese culture. Decisions are not made in accordance with the rule of equity but by command, for thousands of years by him who was mandated by heaven and then, during the last 60 years, by the Party.

These approaches are almost irreconcilable. But I believe there are signs of a change and there is now an increasing awareness in China, outside of academic circles, of the rise of ideals like fairness. One example is the movement to raise salaries of factory workers. At the same time, in spite of positive developments, the current detainment of artists and writers leaves the heart heavy indeed.

At the same time, I also look at the horrible financial and social mess the West has found itself in as a result of the financial freefall in 2008. I have followed, for example, the difficult decisions being discussed in Britain on maintaining welfare with a limited purse. I can’t help wondering whether maybe some Chinese pragmatism might not help.

It is said each journey begins with a single step. But is it better that the step be the result of a two-steps-forward-and-one-back approach, like the Chinese, or that one strides purposefully, looking ahead, like in the West, often only looking back when it is too late? This is the question the Eurasian mind must wrestle with.

In the end I refuse to commit to one way or another, preferring to believe that there is good and bad in both approaches to life. My real task then is to decide what is the best of each and to take that. The one thing most Eurasians know is that the world is too small for things to be simply black or white.

Looking around downtown Hong Kong, I suspect that some of the many Eurasians being pushed around in strollers may some day play important roles in the needed fusion of the West and China, reconciling the differences and creating a new culture.

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2011-4-19 15:29 | 显示全部楼层
金条赠与译者,感谢您的支持
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-19 15:48 | 显示全部楼层
创造新的文化这点其实一点并都不困难,曾几何时肥猪流也算是一种文化……
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-19 15:49 | 显示全部楼层
没见到融合!光看到区别了额!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-19 16:48 | 显示全部楼层
中国还有许多老话,比如做人不可太贪心,什么都想要,最后就会什么都得不到,或是一手抓不来两只兔子等等。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-19 18:04 | 显示全部楼层
楼主辛苦了。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-19 19:37 | 显示全部楼层
西方穷人有穷人之间的公平,富人有富人的公平,两者之间没有公平。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-19 21:25 | 显示全部楼层
这家伙完全不了解中国当前复杂的务实价值观。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-19 21:37 | 显示全部楼层
我完全没看出来这个人和中国有一毛钱的关系
他的想法也很搞笑。对中国的理解肤浅且偏激,甚至比不过很多外国人
他说的完全是他幻想中的中国吧?这种假中国人最讨厌了
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-19 22:03 | 显示全部楼层
不知道,我不敢說自己懂中國文化
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-19 22:46 | 显示全部楼层
世界太小了,没有那么多非黑即白的事情。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-19 23:48 | 显示全部楼层
回复 1# 满仓

虽然有的观点并不认同,但作者有一个较为客观的态度, 支持~~
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-20 06:45 | 显示全部楼层
什么是公平?天下大同不是公平?兼济天下不是公平?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-20 09:05 | 显示全部楼层
最近看了一个记录片,从卢浮宫到紫禁城。西方和东方在几乎同样的时期发生着同样的历史巨变,但却走上了两条相反的道路。用西方的观点来看中国,还是用中国的观点来看西方。都是很难理解。西方人绝大部分时间里同样是听从于命令,来自于上帝,神权至上。君权天授和君权神授是同样的一种方式。当你把自己当为西方人来感觉上帝,是无可辩驳的。拿破仑、凯撒都是神的旨意,你们听从于他们的命令。那么换成中国,中国人对天地有着自然而然的敬畏心理,皇帝在当时也是中国人认知的天的旨意。这之间没有什么巨大的差别。
西方人倾向于个人的主张,中国人倾向于整体的利益。
至于现在,如果仍然以西方固有的观点来认知中国,必然有着巨大的偏差。就像利玛窦对于水墨画的观点一样,“他们根本不知道什么是美,不知道处理任何透视、颜色、光线、明暗。”这是两种截然不同的文化,你以油画的欣赏观点来看水墨画当然是驴唇不对马嘴。

评分

查看全部评分

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-20 10:14 | 显示全部楼层
这个人如果是在二十几岁时出的国,有这种想法是很常见的,因为那个时候发生过一些事情。但是,现在时代已经不同了,但他们对中国的看法从来没有改变过。海外华人中反华的中坚力量就是这一代人。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-20 10:41 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 chummycheer 于 2011-4-20 10:48 编辑

这个人在自说自话给白鬼子看,他说的东西完全没有意义。
无非就是想外国政治势力把宝压在他们这些混血儿身上,从而造成一种新融合抵消旧有东方威胁的错觉。
这和16,7世纪西班牙殖民者计划用五千“英勇”的西班牙士兵在中国边疆占据一席之地然后同当地女子制造一只对西班牙帝国忠诚的混血儿族群最后征服中国的神奇计划没什么不同。当然这个计划最后西班牙人也觉着不靠谱就放弃了。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-21 12:36 | 显示全部楼层
在中国文化面前 ,所谓西方文化还是个懵懂无知、青春叛逆的半大孩子。

鉴定完毕。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-21 12:44 | 显示全部楼层
对我来说,两种文化难以融合的最明显的一个例子就是公平的概念。在西方,这个概念及其背后的理想长久以来被倾注了巨大的力量,甚至因此而引发了革命。我认为,公平是西方文化中最美好的理想之一。

在中国人的哲学中,没有一个恰当的词语可以完美地描述公平这个概念在西方所代表的态度,它似乎并不是中国文化中的一部分。决策并不是在平等的意义上做出的,而是依靠命令,命令在数千年历史中来自于上天安排的那个人,在最近60年中来自于党安排的那个人。
————————————————————

吏不畏吾严而畏吾廉,民不服吾能而服吾公。公则民不敢慢,廉则吏不敢欺。公生明,廉生威。

—— 西汉董仲舒,《春秋繁露·五行相生》

注:中国西汉(公元前202年~公元9年),又称前汉,与东汉(后汉)合称汉朝。

这个混血老外的无知,以及某些跟贴中国人的同样无知,已经到了惨不忍睹的悲哀境地。拜托:想赚稿费,也没有必要把无知当个性吧?喜欢“个性”的英吉利人!

评分

查看全部评分

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-21 12:49 | 显示全部楼层
既然这个英吉利那么热衷于鼓噪个性,并无视中国人5000年来的个性,那么,请他赶紧把唐宁街10号和白金汉宫个性的推翻掉嘛,对了,他称之为革命,个性的革命掉。

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-4-21 12:51 | 显示全部楼层
一拍脑袋,就胡言乱语,就拼凑出一篇奇文。

此乃西报纸们促销挣钱的惯用方式。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-28 06:48 , Processed in 0.052063 second(s), 25 queries , Gzip On.