【今日美国20120212】为何星巴克在中国能成果,而其他的却不行

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-2-13 18:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 woikuraki 于 2012-3-31 11:58 编辑

【中文标题】为何星巴克在中国能成果,而其他的却不行
【原文标题】Why Starbucks succeeds in China and others haven't
【登载媒体】今日美国
【原文作者】By Shaun Rein, CNBC.com Contributor
【原文链接】http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/story/2012-02-12/cnbc-starbucks-secrets-of-china-success/53040820/1

About 14 years ago, I met an entrepreneur who wanted to open up coffee shops around China. I never thought the coffee business would work there. The Chinese would not easily give up their tea-drinking culture for a bitter, overpriced drink, I told him.
Why-Starbucks-succeeds-in-China-DSV35CU-x.jpg
14年前,我见过一个想在中国开咖啡店的企业家。就我看来,咖啡业在中国是无法获得成功的。我跟他说,中国人是不会轻易放下他们的茶文化,而去选择一杯苦涩的昂贵的咖啡。

Starbucks has proven me wrong. Howard Schultz, the CEO of Starbucks (SBUX), announced that China will soon become its largest market outside the United States. It has opened over 500 outlets in the country, which are more profitable per outlet than in the U.S. even though sales per outlet lags its U.S. counterparts considerably, according to the chain's chief financial officer, Troy Alstead.
星巴克的出现证明了我是错误的。星巴克的总裁,霍华德舒尔茨宣布除了美国市场,星巴克在中国的市场将是最大的。首席财务总监Troy Alstead说,已经有超过500家星巴克分店在中国开业。虽然每家店的销售额落后于美国,但是中国市场却更为有利可图。

What did Starbucks do to succeed in a market where so many other Western food and beverage brands such as Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme, and Burger King have failed to live up to their own expectations? What Starbucks did right in China is a textbook case study in how food brands can succeed despite rising labor and real estate costs and increased competition on the Mainland.
Instead of trying to force onto the market the same products that work in the U.S., such as whip cream-covered frozen coffee concoctions, Starbucks developed flavors, such as green tea-flavored coffee drinks, that appeal to local tastes. Rather than pushing take-out orders, which account for the majority of American sales, Starbucks adapted to local consumer wants and promoted dine-in service.
当许多西方食物以及软饮料品牌,如 Dunkin Donuts, Krispy Kreme 以及 Burger King在中国市场被淘汰出局时,星巴克做对了什么?星巴克成功进驻中国市场,就像是一个正面教材,它告诉人们,在劳动力和土地价格上涨、行业竞争激烈的中国大陆,国外品牌依然能够占有一席之地。在美国畅销的泡沫冰咖啡并没有被生搬硬套的拿来中国销售,取而代之的是更符合中国人口味的产品,例如绿茶咖啡饮料。另一方面,在美国推行的外带服务也做了调整,星巴克中国分店更注重于店内的用餐服务。

By offering comfortable environments in a market where few restaurants had air conditioning in the late 1990s, Starbucks become a defacto meeting place for executives as well as for the gathering of friends. In other words, Starbucks adapted its business model specifically for the Chinese, rather than trying to transplant everything that worked in America into China, as so many brands such as Best Buy and Home Depot have done. Such approaches often proved shortsighted and ill-fated.
The challenge with pushing dine-in service in large, comfortable outlets rather than take out is that revenue per square meter is less than in the U.S. The average revenue per outlet in China is one third to two thirds of what it is in the U.S., according to Alstead, the CFO.
在20世纪九十年代末期,大多餐饮店并没有空调的情况下,星巴克提供了优质舒服的环境,这使它成为了许多商业人士会面或者朋友聚会的的首选地点。换句话说,星巴克专门为中国调整了自己的经营模式,而不是和很多品牌,如 Best Buy and Home Depot一样,直接搬来在美国使用的那一套做法。这样的做法证明了它们的目光短浅,最终面临失败。星巴克中国推崇人们在舒适宽敞的店内用餐,这也给他们带来了一项难题,每平方米赚的收入将比在美国少。财务总监 Alstead说,在中国,平均每家星巴克的利润是美国店的三分之一或三分之二。

Starbucks offset the relative lack of revenue in China's outlets by positioning the company and its products as aspirational purchases. The average coffee sold in China is far more expensive than in the U.S. Carrying a Starbucks cup is seen as a status symbol, a way to demonstrate sophistication and the capability to afford a personal luxury for the up-and-coming middle class in China.
因为收入上的相对不足,星巴克决定依靠自己的品牌和产品定位来弥补这些损失。中国的星巴克咖啡的平均售价远远高于美国。在中国,握着一杯星巴克被视为一种身份的象征,一种证明自己成熟并且能负担奢侈品的方式,它代表了前途无量的中产阶级的个人能力。

Starbuck's high pricing strategy of specialty drinks allows it to have its Chinese outlets be more profitable per store in China despite the lower sales volume. Overall in Asia, its operating margins are 34.6% in 2011 versus 21.8% in the United States. Too many brands are willing to push for market share by cutting prices in China. In reality, they should aim for fatter margins.
Not only does Starbuck's premium pricing strategy fit market demands but it also allows it to regularly roll out higher-margin specialty products, such as gift sets that offset rising commodity costs. If you think Starbucks is pricey here, imagine what you'd pay in Shanghai. Still, it will be an ongoing juggling act for Starbucks. As China's urbanization rate nears 52%, Starbucks and other companies there need to implement strategies to offset the impact of rising commodity costs.
星巴克(中国)对一些特别饮品实施的高价格战略弥补了它销售额上的不足。亚洲整体来看,2011年,营业利润率是34.6%同比美国的21.8%。太多的品牌都愿意用降低价格来扩大其在中国的市场份额。事实上,它们的目标应该是更高的利润率。星巴克的高价战略不仅迎合了市场的需求,而且它也在定期退出利润率更高的特别产品,比如一些礼盒,这抵消了商品成本上升的损失。如果你认为星巴克价格过高,试想想你在上海的支出。尽管如此,这仍然是星巴克将继续玩下去的把戏。随着中国的城市化率不断接近52%,星巴克和其他公司也需要继续完善它们的策略,以抵消商品成本上升的影响。

Meantime, Starbucks has done an amazing job at recruiting, retaining, and training employees. Annual turnover rates 30% or higher are common in China, according to data compiled by my firm. Yet, Starbucks has far lower turnover than the industry average by offering good compensation packages, work environments, and career paths.
其间,星巴克做了非常好的招聘工作,保留以及培养人才。据我公司统计的数据显示,在中国,星巴克年营业额率30%已是常有的事情。然而,星巴克提供良好的薪酬待遇,工作环境和职业发展道路,却远低于同行业平均水平营业额。

One barista who has been working at Starbucks for five years told me, "I feel taken care of by management. I enjoy my job and I enjoy working here so I expect to stay longer." That is a rare comment in a country where job hopping is the norm among younger workers.
一个曾在星巴克工作五年的咖啡师告诉我说,“我觉得管理方面做的很好。我喜欢我的工作,喜欢在星巴克工作,我希望自己能在这里停留更长的时间。”在这个年轻人跳槽如此频繁的国家,这样的评论很罕见。

Starbucks' service is on par if not higher than many five-star hotels. In interviews with several hundred consumers in Shanghai, the majority of them told my firm they actually preferred the taste of products from competitors but continued to go to Starbucks because of the service.
如果不是和许多五星级酒店相比,星巴克的服务可以算得上是同行看齐的标准。通过采访上海几百名星巴克的消费者,大多数人表示他们其实更喜欢其他品牌咖啡的味道,但是他们仍然会继续购买星巴克咖啡,原因是其提供的优质服务。

Far too many multinational companies treat their Chinese employees as second-class citizens with little career development. Their senior management ranks are full of foreigners, Taiwanese or Hong Kongers without any mainland Chinese representation.
太过的跨国公司把他们的中国员工当作小事业发展的二等公民。其高层管理队伍都是外国人,台湾人或者香港人,没有任何中国大陆的代表。

Starbucks understood that the value proposition it was offering Chinese was different than in the U.S. They were able to adapt their business model to fit China while keeping their core values. So far, it's working pretty well.
星巴克明白,给中国提供不同于美国的服务即是价值定位的所在。他们有能力在调整营业模式以适应中国市场的同时,并保持他们的核心价值。迄今为止,他们做的很好。

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2012-2-13 18:59 | 显示全部楼层
我就记得星巴克卖的凉面挺好吃,整个夏天几乎天天中午去星巴克打包一份凉面,不太好意思堂食,很怕搞的星巴克咖啡味道中弥漫着一股麻酱味。现在是不是没有了,就冲这入乡随俗的心态,当时就觉得它有前途。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-13 19:11 | 显示全部楼层
dajiangyou luguo
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-2-13 20:55 | 显示全部楼层
QQ图腾 发表于 2012-2-13 18:59
我就记得星巴克卖的凉面挺好吃,整个夏天几乎天天中午去星巴克打包一份凉面,不太好意思堂食,很怕搞的星巴 ...

我今天才知道!星巴克有凉面!!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-13 20:57 | 显示全部楼层
每次路过星巴克都被那股浓浓的咖啡香所诱惑,虽然不是每次都进去消费,呵呵。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2012-2-13 20:59 | 显示全部楼层
淡定的扯淡 发表于 2012-2-13 20:57
每次路过星巴克都被那股浓浓的咖啡香所诱惑,虽然不是每次都进去消费,呵呵。 ...

我每次都是想,要不要去上网。==
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-13 22:14 | 显示全部楼层
:'(:'(                          
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-13 22:58 | 显示全部楼层
QQ图腾 发表于 2012-2-13 18:59
我就记得星巴克卖的凉面挺好吃,整个夏天几乎天天中午去星巴克打包一份凉面,不太好意思堂食,很怕搞的星巴 ...

星巴克有凉面:funk:
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-13 23:09 | 显示全部楼层
因为差异文化被整合利用
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-13 23:39 | 显示全部楼层
星巴克的凉面!!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-14 00:02 | 显示全部楼层
小资,归类
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-14 02:59 | 显示全部楼层
钱不多人傻
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-14 03:06 | 显示全部楼层
03年和教授争论认为辛巴克在中国不会成功,教授认为星巴克是一种生活方式,是都市白领社交的一个渠道。与中国的茶文化无关。

如今看来结果是教授对了。不过星巴克在中国成功不是因为新的白领的生活方式,而是因为星巴克咖啡贵、因为中国人崇尚品牌的心理。星巴克、麦当劳在国外都是普通的大众品牌,如同汽车里的QQ,到了中国按法拉利卖,中国人偏偏就把他当成法拉利了,还有人赞叹动力多么强劲(味道)。

公平说说,星巴克的咖啡比速溶是强,达到一个咖啡口味的标准底线。但绝不是真正爱喝咖啡的首选。

当然国人心目中大名鼎鼎的蓝山咖啡实际也就是牛C,蓝山当然可以算是一个高质量咖啡豆的产区。

但是蓝山首先就不是一个品牌,而是如同西湖龙井的西湖一样,因为日本人呢比较喜欢采购90%左右因此在国际咖啡豆市场蓝山咖啡价格是比较高。

不管你信不信,很多的外国人包括很多咖啡爱好者来说,有很多根本就不知到蓝山咖啡!

好的牌子咖啡有如下参考:
Folgers, Maxwell House, Millstone, Nescafe

好的咖啡豆可以买哥伦比亚、哥斯达黎加、肯尼亚

一句话,星巴克中国之所以火,因为中国装AC之间的人太多了!!!!!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-14 04:14 | 显示全部楼层
北京星巴克比加拿大贵快一倍了,但是我用英文叫咖啡的名字店员竟然一点都没停留就拿出来了,包装都跟北美一样。服务的小细节方面星巴克确实做的用心。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-14 04:29 | 显示全部楼层
钱不多人傻
{:soso_e113:}
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-14 07:54 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 lyycc 于 2012-2-14 07:55 编辑

中国人经常自己在家弄杯茶喝喝,但没听说谁会吧星巴克的咖啡带回家喝的,怎么说呢,在中国因为品牌效应和高昂的价格星巴克是用来装B的,而茶则属于日常生活用品~~
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-14 08:45 | 显示全部楼层
文化所致,强势文化的象征
无关其他
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-14 11:18 | 显示全部楼层
刚知道星巴克有凉面!
星巴克的成功得益于来得早和掐准了当年的轻浮小资们死要面子活受罪的心理。
后来者基本上没有成功的。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-14 13:27 | 显示全部楼层
星巴克的凉面!!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-2-14 13:48 | 显示全部楼层
中国人好面子
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-18 16:31 , Processed in 0.058634 second(s), 27 queries , Gzip On.