找回密码
 注册会员

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 1376|回复: 3

[社会] 【CNN 20150615】Chinese turn to 'naked marriages'

[复制链接]
发表于 2015-6-15 22:40 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
No frills? Chinese say 'I do' to creative -- and cheaper -- weddingshttp://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/15/asia/china-no-frills-weddings/index.html

By Steven Jiang, CNN  Updated 1015 GMT (1715 HKT) June 15, 2015

[size=1.125]Beijing (CNN)Shiny rings, white gowns and luxury cars filled the mammoth national convention center, next to the Chinese capital's Olympic Bird's Nest stadium, one recent weekend.

Armed with balloons, teddy bears and goody bags filled with coupons, throngs of salespeople stood outside their booths, shoving free gifts into the hands of visitors in an attempt to turn them into clients.
Spread across two floors, more than 200 vendors competed at Beijing's Olympic-sized wedding expo for the attention -- and, more importantly, the wallets -- of thousands of young couples.
Everything was on sale at a discount, but even a rough calculation on site pointed to the soaring cost of getting married in China.
The total bill could easily exceed $20,000 -- an unimaginable sum just a few years ago -- counting a pair of rings, a bridal gown, a banquet, a photo shoot and a professional planner.
In the United States, the average cost of a wedding -- excluding a honeymoon -- has a similar price tag of $25,200, according to the latest figure released by the Wedding Report, a market research firm.
Although rapid economic growth has brought rising incomes, the average Chinese still makes only a fraction of their American counterpart.
Government statistics show the annual disposable income for 2014 was only $3,283 per person in China.

The ballooning cost of weddings has spurred a multi-billion-dollar industry, but also put a heavy burden on the more than 10 million couples marrying every year in the world's most populous nation, especially those who already feel financially strained trying to buy their first home and car.
Faced with a deep-rooted cultural preference for marriage, however, young Chinese preparing to tie the knot admit that cutting back is not always an option.
"It's a once-in-a-lifetime event -- so I have to show my commitment to her and her parents through the wedding," explained Wang Di, 23, who was looking for good deals at the expo even though he and his girlfriend don't plan to walk down the aisle for another two years.
"We may not care that much about the ceremony -- but the parents and other relatives do."

Naked marriages
Frustrated with family pressure, some rebellious Chinese couples have chosen to enter so-called "naked marriages" with no houses, no cars, no weddings -- and sometimes no rings.
While the public seems to appreciate the philosophy of true love trumping everything else, most respondents in repeated surveys still reject the notion of disavowing all traditional trappings of marriage.
Increasingly, though, less radical -- but more creative and affordable -- ideas are gaining popularity in big cities.
At a courtyard house in suburban Beijing one recent Saturday, the dress code was casual, but everyone appeared to be having some serious fun at the bride and groom's "do-it-yourself" wedding. On stage, the bride had already kicked off her high-heels.
The venue was the couple's home -- rented for only $2,500 a year from a local farmer. The decoration that emphasized fresh flowers and entertainment -- featuring a DJ and a band -- were both courtesy of their artistic friends.
Adorning the brick walls were various home-made movie-style posters starring the bride and groom, including one showing them laughing in bed with the phrase "mad love" in bold yellow lettering splashed across the red duvet covering their bodies.
Same old drill?
"Almost every wedding now goes through the same drill and I don't want that," said bride Zhang Yueyue, a marketing manager at an arts magazine.
"I think letting everyone have fun is the most important thing. Many Chinese weddings now are more about flaunting wealth and letting parents have 'face' through extravagance."
Counting catering and tailor-made traditional Chinese dresses, Zhang and her artist husband spent less than $2,000 on their big day.
With their modest incomes, the newlyweds agreed that saving from the wedding meant more money to start their married life together.
Amid loud cheers and applause in the courtyard, some of the couple's guests already felt inspired.
"My budget won't be high either," said Zhao Mengsha, a colleague and friend of the bride who is planning her own summer wedding. "I just want a big party with some entertainment -- and most importantly lots of alcohol."
That definitely sounds like a winning formula for a special occasion.

发表于 2015-7-17 11:14 | 显示全部楼层
我认领本篇翻译任务
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-8-3 09:50 | 显示全部楼层
翻译完毕
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-8-3 09:50 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 兔子咬耳朵 于 2015-8-3 09:52 编辑

http://bbs.m4.cn/forum.php?mod=v ... 1&page=1#pid9995074
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 21:45 , Processed in 0.033669 second(s), 16 queries , Gzip On.