今天再度看到,觉得很值得跟大家分享。
从一些外国人的建议提醒中,其实也可以帮助我们发现需要改进的地方,以争取缩小跟发达国家的差距。
勇敢的人,勇敢的民族,敢于面对现实,敢于面对批评,也敢于面对自己的不足。
该文提到的有些方面大家可能不太认可。
但是有些东西的确值得思考。

本文转自校内。
————————————————————某夜

学术道德,是我们做科学的人应该无条件遵守的准则。
但是,在我接触的中国年轻人里(包括我自己),真正严肃对待的其实没多少。如果我们只顾利益而不把诚信和道德放在第一位,那中国的前途将是暗淡的,至少在学术界上是如此。
Stephen的信让我觉得很震惊,很大的反差。美国文化中尊重知识产权和诚信的传统真的很值得我们学习。

背景:
Sterns教授是耶鲁大学知名进化生物学家,本学期在北大开设the key issues of Evolution(进化论的关键争论) 和 Principles of Evolution(进化论原则) 两门课程,总计40余名学生。 在12月初,有一位学生
交的期末论文中发现明显剽窃,为此教授公开宣布判此人零分并致函所有同学以示告诫。
然而所有论文都递交之后,又发现两人有严重剽窃行为。教授因此非常伤心,致函如下:

To my students in Beijing, Fall 2007:

2007年秋季,致我的北京学生(某夜注:很老的新闻啦。。。)

While grading papers today I encountered two more cases of plagiarism.One was sophisticated but serious. The other was so blatant that it was almost unbelievable. That makes a total of three students who have failed my courses because of lagiarism.

今天批改论文时,我遇到了两例剽窃行为.其中一个很老练了,但是情节相当严重。令人难以置信的是,另一个也是明目张胆。因此,总共有三位学生因为剽窃而没有通过我的课程。

If I had not warned you and given you the opportunity honestly to correct your essays, there would have been several more. I thank those of you who were honest and showed me what you had copied.

如果我没有警告你们并真诚地给你们机会修改论文,应该会有更多类似的情况。我感谢那些诚实的、并标明所引用的出处的学生。

Plagiarism disturbs me greatly, both because it corrodes my relationship with you as my students, and because it tells me things about China and Beida that neither you nor I want to hear.

剽窃行为令我十分不安,不仅因为它腐蚀我跟你们的关系,还因为它告诉了我一些我不希望听到的有关中国和北大的事。

It corrodes my relationship with you because I work hard to be a good teacher, I take time to prepare good lectures, and I spend many hours providing detailed feedback on essays. It is hard work. You cannot imagine what it is like to correct the details of the 500th essay until you have done it yourself. I do that to help you learn to think more clearly, to express yourself convincingly, and to develop your intellectual power, your ability to understand the world. I also do it because I value you, I value your ideas, and I think the world will be a better place when you can all think clearly and behave intelligently. Later in life, some of you will be leaders with important positions. I want you to be competent and honest, for I have seen too often what terrible can things can happen when leaders are incompetent and dishonest. Leadership aside, I want all of you to be able to create value in your lives, whatever you end up doing, and you cannot do that if you deceive.

它腐蚀我与你们的关系,因为我在努力地工作使自己成为一个好老师,我花了很多时间来准备演讲,我花了很多时间提供详细的批改论文的反馈意见。这是一项艰苦的工作。除非亲自试试,否则你们无法想象批改第500个论文的细节内容。我这样做是希望能够帮助你们有更清晰的思路,帮助你们表达更令人信服的意见,并提高你们认知世界的能力。同时,我这样做,是因为我重视你们,重视你们的想法,而且我认为,当你们有了清晰的思维和智慧的表现,这个世界会成为一个更好的地方。以后的生活中,你们中的一些人会在重要的领域担当领军人物。我希望你们诚实并具备竞争力,因为我常常看到由于领导者的无能和失信而导致的可怕后果。除此之外,我希望大家能够在你们的生活中创造价值,不管你们最后做什么,一旦你不诚信,那你将无法完成这些事。

When a student whom I am teaching steals words and ideas from an author without acknowledgment, I feel cheated, dragged down into the mud. I ask myself, why should I teach people who knowingly deceive me? Life is too short for such things. There are better things to do.

当我教导的一名学生不承认自己偷窃了另一个作者的想法时,我觉得受到了欺骗,似陷入了泥淖。我问自己,为什么要教故意欺骗我的人呢?生命太短暂。有更好的事情等着我们去做。

Disturbingly, plagiarism fits into a larger pattern of behavior in China. China ignores international intellectual property rights. Beida sees nothing wrong in copying my textbook, for example, in complete violation of international copyright agreements, causing me to lose income, stealing from me quite directly. No one in China seems to care. I can buy DVDs in stores and on the street for about one US dollar. They cost $20-30 outside China; the artists who produced them are losing enormous amounts of stolen income, billions of dollars each year. China has become notorious for producing defective products that have to be recalled because the pose health threats to consumers. A recent cartoon in an American newspaper shows the Central Committee reacting to an accusation that they have violated human rights. The response? "Wait until they see what we put in their toothpaste next!" Corruption is a serious problem in a booming economy. For example, in the mining industry, about 5000 miners die each year and mine owners cut corners in violation of the law. The social fabric breaks when workers die because owners are greedy. The Mandate of Heaven is lost.

令人不安的是,剽窃在中国已经融为了一个更大的行为模式。中国是忽视国际知识产权的。北大认为复制我的教案无可厚非,例如,完全违反国际版权规定,导致我收入的流失,从我这里窃取得相当直接。在中国似乎没有人在乎这个。我可以用1美元购买商店和街道上的DVD。他们在中国以外需要20-30美元;制作他们的艺术家们正在失去大量被盗的收入,大概每年数十亿美元。中国已经因为生产有缺陷的产品而臭名昭著,因为这些产品会威胁消费者的健康(某夜注:这个的确需要反思)。最近的一个刊登在美国报纸的漫画表明,GCD中央对指责他们侵犯了人权作出了回应。回应? “等一等,直到他们看到我们把什么放在了他们未来的牙膏里! ”在一个蓬勃发展的经济下,腐败是一个严重的问题。例如,在采矿业,每年约有5000矿工死于矿主的偷工减料,这是违反了国际法的。当工人因为老板的贪婪而死去时,社会主义的构架已分崩离析。天命已失(翻译得很烂,貌似不是这个意思——)

China appears to have lost her way. Confucius said, do not do to others what you do not want them to do to you. He also said, a gentleman is honest. Honesty and reciprocity are the basis of trust and community. We cannot get along in a world filled with deceit and defection; such a world becomes a Hobbesian war of all against all, nasty and brutal. We cannot do science if we cannot trust what others publish. There is no reason to try to replicate a result if it cannot be trusted. It would not be worth the effort. Without replication there can be no shared knowledge that is tested and trustworthy - that is, no science. Without science, there can be no technology. And without technology, there can be no steady increase in productivity, economic growth, and a better life for all.

中国似乎已失去了她的方式。孔子曰,己所不欲勿施于人。他还说到,一个君子是诚实的。诚信和互惠是信任和社会的基础。我们不能在充满了欺骗和背叛的世界中和睦相处;这样一个世界会像霍布斯战争那样(某夜注:不知道什么是霍布斯战争),反对一切,恼人,残酷。如果我们不能相信别人所发表的东西,我们将没有科学。我们没有理由去分享一个不能信任的科学成果。它不值得努力。没有值得信任的知识去分享——科学即不复存在。没有科学,就不可能有技术。没有技术,就不可能有稳定增长的生产力、经济增长和更好的生活。

The penalties for plagiarism that you will encounter later in life are very serious. If you do it as a graduate student, you can be expelled from university, and you will not get your degree. If you do it as a faculty member, you can lose your job. I know you may not believe that, for the sociology professor at Beida who translated an entire book into Chinese and published it with his name on it only lost his administrative positions but kept his professorship and salary. But things are not like that elsewhere. When plagiarism is detected in the United States, it can end the career of the person who did it. That is also true in Europe.

你们日后的生活,剽窃的惩罚将会是非常严重的。如果是一名研究生,会被驱逐出大学,并得不到相应的学位。如果是一个教师,你可以失去你的工作。我知道你们可能不会相信,一位北大的社会学教授把一整本书翻译为中文,并以他的名义出版,但他只是失去了行政职务,并且仍然保留着他的职业和工资。但在其他地方,事情并不是这样。在美国如果发现剽窃行为,它可以结束这个人的职业生涯。在欧洲也同样如此。

The fact that I have encountered this much plagiarism at Beida tells me something about the behavior of other professors and administrators here. They must tolerate a lot of it, and when they detect it, they cover it up without serious punishment, probably because they do not want to lose face. If they did punish it, it would not be this frequent.

事实上,我在北大遇到的这么多剽窃行为,告诉我一些这里其他的教授和行政人员的有关行为。他们应该容忍了很多类似的情况,而且他们发现剽窃时,试图掩盖,并没有太大的责罚,也许,是不想丢人现眼吧。如果他们对相关行为进行严厉惩罚,剽窃问题不会这么频繁。

I have greatly enjoyed teaching some of you. I have encountered young minds here that are as good as any in the world. Many of you are brave, most of you work very hard, most of you are honest, and some of you are brilliant. But I am leaving with very mixed feelings. It is quite sad that so many promising young Chinese think it is necessary to cheat to succeed. They damage themselves even more than the people from whom they steal and the people whom they deceive with stolen words.

我很喜欢教你们当中的一些人。我在这里遇到了与世界上其他地方无异的年轻心灵。你们中的许多人是勇敢的,你们大多数人都非常努力地学习,大部分是诚实的,而且有些人是非常出色的。但是,我有着非常复杂的感情。很可悲的是,有这么多前途一片光明的中国年轻人认为有必要靠剽窃取得成功。他们对自己的伤害甚至会超过被他们窃取成果的人。

Sincerely, Steve Stearns

此致,Steve Stearns

(此颜色及字体为某夜的翻译及注解)

发表于 2009-1-1 12:10 | 显示全部楼层
看不懂
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-1 13:01 | 显示全部楼层
E文不好。。。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-1-1 16:54 | 显示全部楼层
终于翻译完了。。。大家凑合着看吧。。。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-1 17:35 | 显示全部楼层
good . very sad for those who believe to be success at what ever it takes...

sadly !
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-1 22:27 | 显示全部楼层
这个教授说的很好,剽窃太可耻了.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-4 09:42 | 显示全部楼层
这个教授说的很好,剽窃太可耻了.
海媚 发表于 2009-1-1 22:27

同意!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-1-4 16:28 | 显示全部楼层
诚信和道德。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-26 15:22 | 显示全部楼层
我的祖国同胞...无话
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-26 17:14 | 显示全部楼层
老外的宗旨是不能全抄,抄可以但是要用你自己的话再释义一边,并且注明出处
不注明就是罪大恶极!
中国学生应该掌握原则灵活运用,不要随便从网上copy一点就当万事大吉了,老外又不是傻子,你抄了还是没抄很容易就查出来了!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-27 01:30 | 显示全部楼层
楼主翻译不易,其实翻译的还是很不错的。终于看完,我有时候在想,我们的物质建设和思想道德建设是不是真的已经出现两级分化了,物质是基础,思想道德是上层建筑,缺一不可,而且要维持动态平衡。LZ那个霍布斯式战争,即一切人反对一切人的战争。主要源于霍布斯的政治哲学思想。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-27 01:39 | 显示全部楼层
7# 离离
------
同意
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-27 03:44 | 显示全部楼层
中国大学在给教师评职称的时候,有几个叫兽不剽窃的.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-27 09:33 | 显示全部楼层
抄,我感觉很普遍的一个现象!!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-27 12:55 | 显示全部楼层
1# 槿夜
很支持!这是中国的教育体制问题!
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-5-27 14:12 | 显示全部楼层
这点不改永远赶不上美国
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-8 02:44 , Processed in 0.042544 second(s), 20 queries , Gzip On.