只需一步,快速开始

查看: 1029|回复: 2

[翻译完毕] Blog: How Others See Us

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-2-16 09:47 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 I'm_zhcn 于 2009-3-3 22:54 编辑

http://uselesstree.typepad.com/u ... -others-see-us.html

How Others See Us

A sad story of a young Chinese woman killed by a drunk driver in New Yorkraises some unsettling questions about American culture.  Here is anexcerpt from a translated blog post over at Roland's (original Chinese blog post here):
On February 7, the Shanghai girl Feng Huang who had just  graduated from New York University was killed in a car accident.  The  driver was a local police officer named Martin Abreu.  He was  intoxicated at the time.  The police is charging with vehicular  manslaughter and driving while intoxicated.

But even as people were feeling sad over Feng Huang, the  mother of Martin Abreu has come out to defend his son.  She said that  Feng Huang and her boyfriend were violating traffic rules when they crossed  West Street.  "It was their fault."

The local police declined to say whether the two victims  were violating traffic rules.

Abreu's mother declared, "My son Martin is a good boy.   He should not be treated this way (that is, being arrested and charged with  vehicular manslaughter and driving while intoxicated)."  She even said  that there was nothing wrong with her son driving while intoxicated.   She said, "My son went out to have some drinks.  He is entitled to have  a good time."
I have read many news reports on Abreu's mother.  I  regret to say that she did not show any hint of an apology concerning her  son killing the Chinese girl Feng Huang while intoxicated.

But I thought this was consistent with the typical mode of  action in America.  When Americans run into something, they always seek  to protect themselves first.  This is how Americans think.
Americans have been educated repeatedly by lawyers about  how to get away with crimes.  Abreu's mother is offering a typical  excuse -- it does not matter if Feng Huang is dead, it does not matter how  much responsibility her son bears in this accident and it does not matter  how much the victim deserves sorrow and pity, she will blame the victim  immediately.  I believe that this will be Abreu's initial reaction as  well.  In their vocabulary, there are no words to express an apology to  the victim.  That would be left to the law.  Even though Martin  Abreu was driving while intoxicated, his mother thinks that "her son was not  wrong" and "her son went out to have a few drinks and he is entitled to have  a good time."  Even though she could not deny that her son was  intoxicated, she made light of it...

WhenI first read this, I was a bit angry - how could someone make suchapparently incorrect generalizations about American society - and a bitbemused: the writer seemed not to understand the English language, inwhich there are many, many ways to express apology to victims. I resist these kinds of generalizations when talking about Chinese culture and society, and I would also reject any effort to make this "heartless mom" into a symbol of American culture in general.

Butthen I thought a bit more and asked myself how Mencius might respond tosuch a statement.  He, after all, tells us to look inside of ourselveswhen we are confronted with our shortcomings.  

And that would lead toanother kind of question: how is it that this image of heartless,resistant-to-apology Americans might appear accurate to Chinesepeople?  What is it about us that might encourage this sort of image?

The litigiousness of American societyhas been much commented upon, and could certainly create legalincentives for avoiding responsibility for mistakes and crimes.  Isuspect that  incidents that gain a high level of media attention,especially those involving entertainment or political celebrities, go along way in producing the image of the irresponsible American (or theAmerican who evades responsibility and blames others for his or hertroubles).  How often do we see the responsible party lie and denyinvolvement when called out for bad behavior?  Alex Rodriguezlooked right into the camera in 2007 and lied about his steroid use; heonly admitted what he had done when the evidence against him was justtoo great.  George W. Bush was famous for never admitting mistakes and never apologizing.

It would seem, then, that there are grounds for the the kinduncomfortable generalization put forth on the Chinese blog.  There areall too many instances of famous Americans refusing to acceptresponsibility for their mistakes and evading apology.

Of course, that is not all there is to American society and culture.  The New York Daily News,in reporting the tragedy of Feng Huang's death, refers to the mother as"heartless" and "shameless."  She is obviously odious to Americans aswell as to Chinese.   WPIX calls her "misguided" and reports the response from the Jersey City Police Department:
"The charges surrounding this incident are most serious and this typeof activity will not be tolerated by the JCPD..." Jersey City PoliceChief Tom Comey said in a statement. "While Mr. Abreu was in no wayrepresenting our department when this incident occurred, our primarythoughts are with the injured and the woman who perished. Our thoughtsand prayers are with their families."

Thatsounds right.  The most important thing here is that Feng Huang waskilled.  She needs to be remembered and her family offeredcondolences.  The drunken cop should face the full force of the law. That is how many, many Americans would understand this sad, sad event.

February 14, 2009 in Current Affairs, Mencius  | Permalink

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2009-2-17 11:59 | 显示全部楼层
Comments

Absolutely! I read those comments by that Chinese blogger and couldn't reply to him because I had no account for his site.

Only an idiot would paint any nation with such wide brush strokes. This guy is just a frog at the bottom of a well. Comparing the CCTV fire 'apology' to this mothers lack of sympathy to the victims is just stupid. Nationalistic nonsense. Like there aren't too many instances of famous Chinese refusing to accept responsibility for their mistakes and evading apology!

Posted by: bert | February 15, 2009 at 01:01 PM

"Only an idiot would paint any nation with such wide brush strokes"

Americans do the same thing to China and the Chinese all the time. We are angry and indignant when we read this Chinese blogger generalize Americans. But we do the same thing without even realizing it. Now we know what it feels like to be on the receiving end.

In this day and age, it's idiotic to generalize people or nations. But at the same time, humans (from everywhere) have a tendency to generalize. I can only hope that most Chinese people will resort to their better senses and realize that the words of one American mom do not represent the view of all Americans.

Similarly, I wish Americans would stop stereotype people of Chinese descent too: not all Chinese eat exotic animals, not all Chinese are brainwashed nationalists, not all Chinese have small slanty eyes, not all Chinese companies produce tainted products...

Posted by: Karen | February 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM

This irritating thing about that Chinese fellow's comments were its passive-aggressive "We the Chinese are virtuous victims, so far removed from those barbarians" tone. Like a teenager blaming their parents for failing at school. While he seems to reflect the international face of china, I hope he doesn't reflect that of real people.

Anyway, enough.

You can actually comment on the page without having an account. There is a provision for anonymous posting which you can locate by translating the page via translate.google.com . Knock yourself out!

Posted by: Durian | February 16, 2009 at 02:17 AM

The original article was bad, the comments were heinous. Many of the commenters called the girl a whore for being with an American, another said that Chinese people should start treating all foreigners like Americans treated Feng Huang, and the original author Mr. Sima never amended or responded to any of the nonsense, adding support to their insane vitriol. If you create a forum for that kind of stuff you should a least be responsible enough to temper the stupidity. Mr. Sima failed at that and went from a sad attempt at philosiphizing on American vs. Chinese morality to supporting ideas such as Feng Huang deserved to die bcause she was with a foreigner.

Posted by: Mike | February 16, 2009 at 02:34 AM

"Americans do the same thing to China and the Chinese all the time."

Do we really do so to such an extent? REALLY? Because even your simple self-critical statement is more than you will see from most foreigner-bashing sessions on the Chinese internet.

"This irritating thing about that Chinese fellow's comments were its passive-aggressive "We the Chinese are virtuous victims, so far removed from those barbarians" tone. Like a teenager blaming their parents for failing at school. While he seems to reflect the international face of china, I hope he doesn't reflect that of real people."

I'm sorry to report that if internet comments mean anything at all, I'm afraid that it does to a considerable extent. Obviously there's more than one opinion among Chinese people, but this is typically a strongly represented one- if not the mainstream.

"The original article was bad, the comments were heinous."

They usually are. Personally, I blame Chinese internet comments for turning me into basically a nasty, bitter China-basher. I mean, anything on the internet has to be taken with a grain of salt, but you see the same garbage again and again and again and it just wears you down. Thank god for the humorous, self-critical and varied people at KDS, or I would probably be a full-blown racist by now.

Posted by: Anon | February 16, 2009 at 12:28 PM
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-3 14:26 | 显示全部楼层
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-10-5 21:48 , Processed in 1.823086 second(s), 24 queries , Gzip On.