查看: 2904|回复: 6

[网友互动] 西雅图庆祝中国国庆游行是有史以来规模最大的一次

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-10-1 13:44 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Largest pro-China parade ever!

Posted on 24 September 2009

By Assunta Ng
NORTHWEST ASIAN WEEKLY

A parade celebrating the People’s Republic of China’s 60th anniversarytook place in Sunday, Sept. 20, in Seattle’s Chinatown/InternationalDistrict. (Photo by Rebecca Ip/NWAW)

When a thousand participants commemorated the 60th anniver­sary ofthe founding of People’s Republic of China by storming throughSeattle’s Chinatown last Sunday, serendipities occurred.

It was a celebration that melted down hatred. It was a celebra­tionthat made anger transform into collaboration. Past grudges were buriedand people, young and old, marched for the future.

Rivals were willing to ride together.

Leading the parade was a strange pair on a convertible, Ping Chowand On Lau. Chow, 95, is a staunch supporter of the cur­rent Taiwangovernment while Lau is a pro-China leader in the Chinese community.

Chow’s wife, the late Ruby Chow, was a King County Council Member.She was a long-time critic of Lau. The Chows were known for theiranti-Communist stance toward China for decades. In the past, the Chowshad frequently appeared in the an­nual local parade to celebrateTaiwan’s na­tional day on Oct. 10.

Several bystanders’ jaws dropped when they saw Chow and Lau ridingtogether. It was odd for Chow to appear in a pro-China parade and hewas next to his wife’s oppo­nent.

A staff member from Seattle Chinese Post (SCP), Northwest AsianWeekly’s (NWAW) sister paper, asked Chow why he chose to attend. Chowsaid he came at his own will.

“I have two mothers,” said Chow, “one who raised me and the other who gave me birth. They were from China.”

The SCP staff member asked what Ruby Chow would say about his actions. Would she be unhappy?

“No, she wouldn’t,” said Chow.

Master John Leong of Seattle Kung Fu Club served as a mediator for the two. He has been close friends with both for decades.

Paradeattendees, from left to right: Faye Hong, Michael Chen, Stanley Xu, Lt.Gov. Brad Owen, Deputy Council General of China Xin Ping Wang, WeiFeng, and Henry Che (Photo by Rebecca Ip/NWAW)

“I did this for the Chinese community’s harmony,” said Leong. Heinvited Chow initially to participate in the parade. Ac­cording toLeong, Chow immediately said “Yes.”

“I wasn’t sure if Uncle Chow understood that this is for China’snational celebration, not the Taiwan’s,” Leong said. But Chow respondedthat he’s Chinese, too, said Leong.

Realizing the sticky situation and ensur­ing there would be nomisunderstandings, Leong and his wife met with Chow’s chil­dren —Cheryl, Brien, and Mark — for lunch weeks before the event. The familymembers talked and decided they would support whatever made their dadhappy.

Leong then persuaded Lau to sit with Chow during the parade. Duringthe ride, Chow was sitting high on the back board of the car. Lau wason the seat. Neither of them engaged in conversation. Chow smiled andwaved to the onlookers.

When NWAW asked Lau about the ar­rangement, he simply said that it was fine.

Chow’s gesture is perceived as a triumph for many who arepro-Chinese. However, it was also a slap in the face for Taiwan.Be­cause Taiwan’s typhoon Morakot destroyed the southern part of theisland, the official reception in a mainstream hotel and a Chi­natownparade to celebrate Taiwan’s na­tional day in October were cancelled.

The majority of Chinese community orga­nizations joined in the parade except a few.

This is by far the biggest involvement of community groups and olderleaders in a celebratory political parade. Some groups have switchedfrom being pro-Taiwan to being pro-China, such as the Indochina ChineseElderly Association.

Chinatown used to be dominated by Tai­wanese influence. However, inthe last de­cade, Taiwan’s influence seems to be erod­ing as Chinaemerges as a world power.

Taiwan officials have repeatedly said that it is acceptable for theChinese community to be friends with both sides. During the re­centSeattle visit of Taiwan’s President Ma Ying Jeoh, he had reiterated thesame senti­ments. Chow had been seated next to Ma at the dinner table,which showed the Taiwan­ese government’s appreciation of Chow’slong-standing support.

In the evening, a banquet was held at Sun Ya Restaurant. It was attended by nearly 400 people. Not all were parade participants.

One guest who has a firm pro-Taiwan position, who declined to beidentified, said, “I have not changed my stance. I have always beenanti-Communist. That’s why you don’t see me at the parade. But comingfor a meal, it’s okay with me.”

Kenneth Tao, who was marching with the Indochina Chinese Elderly Association, said, “I go to both sides’ events.”

This would never have happen a decade ago when the community wasbitterly divid­ed. Both sides boycotted one another other’s events.Now, people from both sides can ride in one car or even sit across thetable. Some call it progress while others say it’s the mod­ern way ofagreeing to disagree. ♦

Please click to see a pictorial of the parade.
Assunta Ng can be reached at assunta@nwasianweekly.com.

评分

查看全部评分

楼主| 发表于 2009-10-1 13:45 | 显示全部楼层
http://www.nwasianweekly.com/200 ... parade-2/#more-4818

On Sunday, Sept. 20, people crowded the streets of Seattle’sChinatown/International District to celebrate the upcoming 60thanniversary of the People’s Republic of China. The parade demonstratedhow tensions have eased between China and Taiwan supporters.

1:Former rivals Ping Chow (back, in hat) and On Lau (sitting) put asidetheir political differences for one day by riding in a parade cartogether.2: Notable parade attendees, from left to right: Kar-lingLeong, Ping Chow, Wai Eng, Chinatown Princess Lee Li Chong, ChinatownPrincess Lele Tian, John Leong, Deputy Council General Hsiu Peng Wang,and On Lau. 3: Instructor Tony Au (bottom, right) balances his sonKelvin on his shoulders. Maun Louie (bottom, left) is holding studentDominic (last name unknown). They are marching in the parade with theYing Yong Tong and the Seattle International Lion Dance Team. 4: Aparade celebrating China’s national day is not just for adults. Thekids came out, too — in bright colors.(Photos by George Liu/NWAW)
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-10-1 13:47 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 rlsrls08 于 2009-10-1 14:00 编辑

在美国,随着中国的强大,和来自大陆的中国人越来越多,已经渐渐地取代台湾人占据主流
曾经中国大陆和台湾人分成两个阵营,互为敌人。今天,他们同参加亲中国的游行活动,这在10年前不可想象。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-10-1 14:47 | 显示全部楼层
“I have two mothers,” said Chow, “one who raised me and the other who gave me birth. They were from China.”~~~~看到这句纠结了好久,原来是 一个生母一个养母~~刚开始还以为他是两位拉拉养大的~~面壁思过去
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-10-1 18:46 | 显示全部楼层
不错,感觉做为一个中国人,我真的很自豪。也很幸运。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-10-2 22:12 | 显示全部楼层
在美国,随着中国的强大,和来自大陆的中国人越来越多,已经渐渐地取代台湾人占据主流
曾经中国大陆和台湾人分成两个阵营,互为敌人。今天,他们同参加亲中国的游行活动,这在10年前不可想象。 ...
rlsrls08 发表于 2009-10-1 13:47

这个和去中国化也有关系。

有个本身是亲台湾的华人社团,在去中国化后,把青天白日换成了五星旗,画像只保留了孙中山的画像。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-10-2 22:28 | 显示全部楼层
国家强大,在外的游子活的才有底气,感谢爱国华人华侨,海外学子在生日这天对母亲的思念~
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-12 16:36 , Processed in 0.106795 second(s), 24 queries , Gzip On.