找回密码
 注册会员

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 907|回复: 13

上周五我校报的头版居然公然捏造反华假新闻

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-11-10 14:58 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
上周五校报的头版居然公然捏造反华假新闻,一女孩声称她目击藏人被打,就被赶出中国还上黑名单。。。太假了。。。有兴趣请看网络版 http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.aspx?id=71726#comments
it is a good thing I got out of there alive and in one piece, I didn't want to see my friends dying........这叫什么话啊

显示全部3条

写得太假了,太多破绽了。。。那女孩我刚好见过,中文说得不错,那天就穿着那套花花绿绿的藏服跟我们宣传她的讲座,题目好像就是7 years in Tibet,当时我就觉得没什么好事。。。妈的,真为我校校报耻辱,不过好在下面的评论还是很在理的

符文:

Life-changing journey takes IU senior to Tibet, Thailand, back home                                       By                        Bailey Loosemore |                               IDS
                                               POSTED AT           12:32 AM ON Nov. 6, 2009            | PRINT |            Email           | SHARE            | COMMENTS (16)         

Finalexams, friend problems and stress about plans for thenext school yearupset Abby Borger as she walked, crying, down theovercast, pollutedstreets of Nanjing, China last year.

On her way to unwind at anart museum, the overcast sky suddenly clearedand a flaky snow began tofall. Borger looked up and saw a Chinese monkwalking toward her.

Neither the monk nor Borger said a word, but when they passed, he handed her a gold-plated card.

Alittle smaller than a playing card, it had a picture of GuanyinPusa,the Buddha of compassion, on one side and a blessing written inChineseon the other.

“After that moment, I decided to convert to Buddhism,” Borger said. “Like, right there in the middle of the street.”

The card now lies in a music shop in Tibet with the other belongings Borger left behind when she was asked to leave the country.

Borger,a senior in the Individualized Major Program with a minor inTibetanstudies, asked that her name be changed for her own safety. Sheplannedto study overseas at Tibet University in Lhasa this fallsemester.

Borgersaid she arrived in Lhasa about a year after she arrived in China andmoved into the dorms at Tibet University on Aug. 28.

Classesbegan on Sept. 16, a Wednesday. The next day, she went to renewherexpired visa and was told that all foreign visitors were going tobeasked to leave before Oct. 1, as the government expected outbreaksofviolence during the 60th anniversary of Chairman Mao Zedong’s andthePeople’s Republic of China’s rise to power.

“Oct. 1 is sort oflike America’s Fourth of July,” said Gedun Rabsal, aTibetan languagelecturer at IU. “They want to celebrate peacefully andwithoutinterruptions. And if there are interruptions, they don’twantforeigners to see.”

On Oct. 18, Borger finally arrived back inBloomington, missing somepersonal items but, instead, possessing astory she feels others need tohear.

“Basically, I’ve seen more than the Chinese government knows that I’ve seen,” she said.

Borger witnessed beatings of monks and other natives on an almost daily basis in Lhasa.

“It’s a good thing I got out of there alive and in one piece,” she said. “I didn’t want to see my friends dying.”

Fivedays after Borger heard of the ruling from the visa office,TibetUniversity informed her that classes would be canceled beginningthenext day and students would need to find their own ways out ofthecountry, she said.

She obtained a temporary visa and caught a train to Lanzhou, China on Sept. 28, three days before the celebration was to occur.

“Inthe three months before I got back to the states, I spent about afifthof my time on trains, planes, buses and backs of trucks with loadsofbarley and sheep,” she said. “The only thing crazy enough to followmearound is my violin.”

After traveling by two trains and a plane,Borger found herself inThailand for two weeks, waiting to hear if thesituation cleared up inLhasa.

She tried to contact her friendsfrom Lhasa while in Thailand. Theirphones would ring the first timeshe called, she said, but no one wouldanswer. On subsequent attempts,it would say the line was disconnected.

Borger said she is nowon the Chinese government’s watch list. While inThailand, she said shetried to send an e-mail about her experience toher family and friends.The e-mail bounced back three times, she said,and she could not accessher school account for three weeks.

After a friend in China eventually received her message, Borger said her friend’s phone was shut down for the rest of the day.

“If people in Tibet are known to have contact with me, they might disappear,” she said.

Twodays after Oct. 1, Borger said the Chinese government reported at least200 people had died in Urumqi, a city north of Tibet.

“Basicallywhat I know is this,” she said. “These four Tibetans wereconvictedthis past week and publicly executed. Come Oct. 1, many peoplediedwhen they came out to protest. It happens every year around thistime.”

TheChinese government cracked down on security in Tibetafterdemonstrations that took place on March 10 of last year, saidElliotSperling, associate professor of Tibetan studies.

The datemarked the 49th anniversary of a mass protest in 1959, whicheventuallyculminated in the capitol of Lhasa, where hundreds ofthousands ofpeople surrounded the Dalai Lama’s palace to protect himfrom danger.

The demonstrations spread across the plateau and ultimately exploded into violence.
Theprotests received worldwide coverage when journalists located inChinato cover the Olympics spoke about the violence taking place,Sperlingsaid.

“March 10 has always been sensitive,” he said. “Tibet isundertremendously tight security this year. And if there is violence,theydon’t want foreigners to see it.”

In February of this year, Borger said she spent the Chinese New Year with the family of a doctor in Xiahe, China.

Thepeople of Tibet did not formally celebrate the holiday, she said,inorder to honor those who were murdered during the 2008demonstrationsand those who died in an earthquake that occurred a fewmonths previousto the celebration.

Foreigners were not allowed in the city atthe time, Borger said, andshe was not permitted to leave the doctor’shouse. Three days after NewYear’s, Borger said she left the family soas not to bring them harm.

She wore Tibetan clothing and ascarf shielded her entire face excepther eyes, which she hid beneathbrown contact lenses. Borger said shedisguised herself in order tomake it out of the city to a bus stationunharmed.

Borgerarrived at the bus safely, but as it pulled out of the station,shesaid she saw three Tibetan men being tossed into the street fromapolice station.

Afraid she was going to throw up the tea thefamily had given her, shewatched as five policemen beat the men withsticks and broken bottles.By the time the bus left the station, bloodcovered the ground and thethree men were not moving.

“Do I want to be here for a full year?” Borger remembers asking herself. “I don’t know if I can handle this.”

Lookingback, Borger’s time in Tibet and China had many ups and downs.Shefound religion, she said, but she also saw acts of violence thatwillstay with her for the rest of her life.

“For someone in myposition, a 20-year-old white girl from Chicago,that’s tough for me todeal with. ... Tibet has cured me, and it hasbroken me.”                                                       PRINT |                    Email                    | SHARE                   | COMMENTS (16)
 楼主| 发表于 2009-11-10 14:59 | 显示全部楼层
评论不错

All Comments  (16)

Posted by jade at 1:38 PM on Nov 09, 2009 | Report this comment

How sorry I am for a person who said she has converted into buddhison and telling such a lie. Tibet is a pure place and not welcome the rubbish from any part of the world; Tibet is not the place who want make some pocket money by creating rubbish; this kind of person will be expelled by any school in the world.But she is only 20, may be buddha will forgive her for her youth.

Posted by Josh B. at 8:33 AM on Nov 09, 2009 | Report this comment

I know this girl, and she needs help. Melissa, if you read this, get help from CAPS. Give them a call at 812-855-5711. A couple of other posters suggested this, and they are right. You aren't dealing with this well.

Posted by CP at 1:43 AM on Nov 09, 2009 | Report this comment

This is the most crazy crap I have ever heard! I am a foreigner who lives in Lhasa and lives on the Tibet University campus!!!! There are currently 15+ foreign students and 6 foreign teachers at the University that DID NOT have to find their own way to 'escape'. I personally met this girl on the Tibet University campus and I was quite shocked at the clothes she was wearing!!!! She looked like she had just stepped out of a crazy Tibetan fashion show! It's quite appalling to know that people actually print stuff like this when they don't see, for sure, if things are true! This is a perfect example of American propaganda!!! Yes, as American's we have freedom of speech but get real! I can't read any of this and believe any of it....and I live in Lhasa! Yes, there are problems in Tibet......but stuff like this just makes it worse because it's FALSE!!!!!!! From what I heard on campus, she was told to leave because she kept coming in late at night drunk and bloody!! I guess after this comment I'll be blacklisted from Western Buddhists, huh?

Posted by SL at 6:27 PM on Nov 07, 2009 | Report this comment

When a high educational institute, where I thought should be the last clean earth in the whole world, is utilized by and actively involved in the ugliness of politics and raising student haters who don't even know what critical thinking is, what the hell on earth are we still expecting for?

Posted by William at 6:20 PM on Nov 07, 2009 | Report this comment

Thank you IDS for a perfect example of pointless, self-absorbed drivel that should never be allowed to see the light of day. I am amazed at how detached from reality Ms. "Borger" actually is. She was never in any danger while in China, and the idea that she had to wear a disguise to leave just shows how clueless she is. The easiest way to get out of a restricted part of China is to show yourself as an American student - you'll get a first-class ticket back to Beijing in a flash. Instead, it is those poor Hans and Tibetans foolish enough to befriend her who are actually in danger. What kind of selfish person would try contacting Tibetans by phone, knowing full well that doing so would cause them to be questioned by PRC officials? Yet Ms. Borger not only made that mistake once, but then repeats it in an online publication that will likely be noticed by PRC authorities and cause these poor people even more harm. Many Americans study in China every year, including in Tibet and Xinjiang, a region in western China with similar issues. These students manage to study there without being dumb enough to put their friends and colleagues in danger, or to engage in such ridiculous activity as wearing "native disguises" (apparently Ms. Borger isn't aware that the need to dress in disguise to travel around Asia disappeared about the same time as the British Empire). Instead of printing the account of a clueless attention-seeker who makes IU students studying overseas look like fools, the IDS should take time to interview the many students in East Asian and Central Eurasian studies who do meaningful research throughout the tense Chinese border regions, and actually improve our understanding of the complex issues facing minorities in the PRC.

Posted by david plaff at 4:19 PM on Nov 07, 2009 | Report this comment

Very disappointed on IDS to printing such rediculous article on its front page. This is defamation and IDS may be sued for defamation. No single TOP US University student newspaper would do such thing as IDS just did.

Posted by Jackson Boyar at 12:42 PM on Nov 07, 2009 | Report this comment

I am simply disgusted with the IDS for printing this story. Not only did the story tarnish China's already weak image among American college students, but it did so based on one girl's OPINIONS. A bias story like this has no place in a college newspaper, let alone the front page! I'm sure that Ms. Borger did in fact experience Han-minority discrimination while traveling through Western China. I've been to Western China myself, and it is not uncommon to see such things. However, accusing Chinese authorities in Tibet of beating monks on a daily basis is ludicrous. There are numerous Western reporters stationed in Xinjiang and Tibet, so I image we would have seen stories about persistent violence and 200 some people killed in Urumqi had it ACTUALLY happened. After briefly attending her lecture yesterday afternoon, I am now convinced that Ms. Borger, while devoted and passionate to her studies, is incredibly confused and likely using this story for media attention. She spent the majority of her time in the spotlight preaching about her academic accomplishments and alienating her audience. I personally hope there is some sort of backlash from this terrible cover story. I don't often find myself defending the Chinese government, but this story literally made me sick.

Posted by Arthur Borged at 10:4 AM on Nov 07, 2009 | Report this comment

Ms. Borger is quite out of touch. I submitted a longer, detailed response, but the democracy here don't allow no answer longer than 2,000 characters. In short, I've been teaching at universities in China for the past six years -- nicest folks and students I've ever seen in 30+ years of teaching in four or five different countries. Never had more problems with the copshops here than in France, Sweden, Finland and Hong Kong, for example.

Posted by Taiwan at 7:32 PM on Nov 06, 2009 | Report this comment

This summer I studied in Taiwan and my friend got deported for speaking his mind. I don't feel as though this girl's story is very credible, though. If she really cared that much she would have stayed.

Posted by EMA at 5:21 PM on Nov 06, 2009 | Report this comment

You've got to be kidding me. What romanticized (and at other times unfairly accusatory) drivel this is. Converting to Buddhism "like, right there in the middle of the street" after receiving a gold card from an exotic monk? Jesus. "Ms. Borger" is not the first foreigner to be "kicked out" of China (as if she did something brave or dangerous that necessitated it) or placed on some kind of government list. How in the world does "hearing about 200 deaths in Urumqi" (not "Uramqi," as whoever put together the map of her "journey" on page 8 of the paper wrote) become part of her journey through China? By the way, "Abby Borger" should probably think twice about giving advertised public talks if she *really* wants to protect her identity from the evil government of China.

Posted by Sharon at 1:39 PM on Nov 06, 2009 | Report this comment

"It's all about me!" Did anyone else get this vibe from the article?

Posted by Marie at 1:37 PM on Nov 06, 2009 | Report this comment

I hope that Ms. Borger gets professional help in dealing with the post-traumatic stress of what she has seen and experienced.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-10 15:05 | 显示全部楼层
没救了~
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-10 15:32 | 显示全部楼层
是不是叫印第安纳大学?会用那么卑鄙的伎俩也说明他们快要黔驴技穷了。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-10 21:44 | 显示全部楼层
因为西方人就是这样行为的,所以他们把中国也想成这样
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-11 10:29 | 显示全部楼层
求翻译,包括评论
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-11-11 11:49 | 显示全部楼层
就是讲一个大四的美国学生原本要在西藏大学访学,最后怎么活着回到美国的故事。。。。还有她一路上的“见闻”,也就是中国怎样限制宗………………教××自※※由和镇压少数民族
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-12 02:24 | 显示全部楼层
这故事也太老套了吧?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-14 04:57 | 显示全部楼层
求具体的翻译们还有评论的
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-14 10:09 | 显示全部楼层
黔无驴,有好事者船载以入.......。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-14 10:20 | 显示全部楼层
真尴尬。呵呵
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-14 10:58 | 显示全部楼层
没翻译还是不行,看了10分钟才看了5分1
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-15 14:41 | 显示全部楼层
全是英文。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-11-16 09:32 | 显示全部楼层
跪求翻译。。。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-6 19:21 , Processed in 0.042372 second(s), 19 queries , Gzip On.