【中文翻译】NOA  提供地址
【其他版本译文 】 nothostiletous   提供地址

【本文标题】Chinese Student in U.S. Is Caught in Confrontation
【本文作者】SHAILA DEWAN
【本文整理】semirock
【全文内容】

01.jpg
Zachary TrACer/The Duke Chronicle
Grace Wang tried to talk to Chinese demonstrators at a pro-Tibetan rally at Duke last week.
上星期Grace Wang(王千源的英文名字)试图在一个反西藏(独立)集会上跟中国示威者讲话

英文原稿

DURHAM, N.C. — On the day the Olympic torch was carried through San Francisco last week, Grace Wang, a Chinese freshman at Duke University, came out of her dining hall to find a handful of students gathered for a pro-Tibet vigil facing off with a much larger pro-China counterdemonstration.
Skip to next paragraph
Enlarge This Image

Ms. Wang, who had friends on both sides, tried to get the two groups to talk, participants said. She began traversing what she called “the middle ground,” asking the groups’ leaders to meet and making bargains. She said she agreed to write “Free Tibet, Save Tibet” on one student’s back only if he would speak with pro-Chinese demonstrators. She pleaded and lectured. In one photo, she is walking toward a phalanx of Chinese flags and banners, her arms overhead in a “timeout” T.

But the would-be referee went unheeded. With Chinese anger stoked by disruption of the Olympic torch relays and criticism of government policy toward Tibet, what was once a favorite campus cause — the Dalai Lama’s people — had become a dangerous flash point, as Ms. Wang was soon to find out.

The next day, a photo appeared on an Internet forum for Chinese students with a photo of Ms. Wang and the words “traitor to your country” emblazoned in Chinese across her forehead. Ms. Wang’s Chinese name, identification number and contact information were posted, along with directions to her parents’ apartment in Qingdao, a Chinese port city.

Salted with ugly rumors and manipulated photographs, the story of the young woman who was said to have taken sides with Tibet spread through China’s most popular Web sites, at each stop generating hundreds or thousands of raging, derogatory posts, some even suggesting that Ms. Wang — a slight, rosy 20-year-old — be burned in oil. Someone posted a photo of what was purported to be a bucket of feces emptied on the doorstep of her parents, who had gone into hiding.

“If you return to China, your dead corpse will be chopped into 10,000 pieces,” one person wrote in an e-mail message to Ms. Wang. “Call the human flesh search engines!” another threatened, using an Internet phrase that implies physical, as opposed to virtual, action.

In an interview Wednesday, Ms. Wang said she had been needlessly vilified.

“If traitors are people who want to harm China, then I’m not part of it,” she said. “Those people who attack me so severely were the ones who hurt China’s image even more.”

She added: “They don’t know what do they mean by ‘loving China.’ It’s not depriving others of their right to speak; it’s not asking me or other people to shut up.”

In a flattering profile in 2006, Ms. Wang was described in a Qingdao newspaper as believing she was “born for politics.” She writes poetry in classical Chinese, plays a traditional string instrument called the guzheng, and participated in democracy discussion boards back home, she said.

Ms. Wang said she was not in favor of Tibetan independence, but she said problems could be reduced if the two sides understood each other better.

Since riots in Tibet broke out last month, campuses including Cornell, the University of Washington and the University of California, Irvine, have seen a wave of counterdemonstrations.

When Ms. Wang encountered the two demonstrations last week, the Chinese students seemed to expect her to join them, she said. But she hesitated.

“They were really shocked to see that I was deciding, because the Chinese side thought I shouldn’t even decide at all,” she said. “In the end I decided not to be on either side, because they were too extreme.”

Daniel R. Cordero, a member of the Duke Human Rights Coalition and an organizer of the pro-Tibet vigil, said he was handing out literature when Ms. Wang came up and pointed to the counterprotesters.

“She was like, ‘Why are you focusing on the Duke students? Let’s have a dialogue with these people,’ ” he said. “And I’m thinking, oh come on, seriously, that’s not going to help anything.”

Some of Ms. Wang’s efforts to mediate were met by insults and obscenities from the Chinese students.

“She stood her ground; she’s a really brave girl,” said Adam Weiss, the student on whose back Ms. Wang wrote “Free Tibet.” “You have 200 of your own fellow nationalists yelling at you and calling you a traitor and even threatening to kill you.”

At Ms. Wang’s behest, he ultimately spoke to some of the Chinese contingent, finding, he said, that “we could compromise and say we all wanted increased human rights for all Chinese, and especially for Tibetans.”

Sherry, a Chinese graduate student who declined to give her last name for fear of being harassed, had a less heroic view.

“She claimed she wanted to make communications between both sides, but actually she did nothing before that night. She didn’t communicate with any organizers and actually was just performing,” Sherry said. But she called the backlash against Ms. Wang “horrible.”

“There are a few students that are very angry at her,” she said, “but there are many others who try to protect her, try to speak for her. Actually, the majority didn’t think she did so wrong to be treated like that.”

She said Ms. Wang had squandered some sympathy when, in an article in The Duke Chronicle, she blamed the Duke Chinese Students and Scholars Association for helping to release her information through its e-mail list.

This week, three officers of the association explained in an open letter that the mailing list was public and called the verbal attacks on Ms. Wang “troubling and heinous.” Her personal information and other offensive posts were removed “once they were brought to our attention,” the letter said. Student groups criticized the association for allowing them to be posted at all.

Zhizong Li, the president of the association, referred most questions to the university but said that only about a third of the pro-China demonstrators were association members. Duke has just over 500 Chinese students.

Ms. Wang, who has retained a lawyer, said pulling her personal information off the Web was not enough. “I will be seen as a traitor forever, and they can still harm my parents,” she said.

But for a woman under threat of dismemberment, she seemed remarkably sanguine — even upbeat.

“My parents are very tolerant to me,” she explained. “They were really disappointed in me for a long time, and I persuaded them to think differently.

“If I can change my parents, I can probably change others.”
中文译本

在上周奥林匹克火炬经过旧金山的时候,GRACE WANG(王千源的英文名字),一名来自DUKE大学的新中国学生。在一些为西藏示威者和更多的中国的反示威者中间站了出来。

王小姐,这位在两个对立面都有朋友的人,试图让两个团体相互对话。她开始在她认为的"中间地带" 要求示威者的领导人会面谈话。她说,她同意写“解放西藏,拯救西藏”在一个学生的背上,只是因为此学生会与支持中国的示威者谈话。她辩护并发表演说。在一张照片里显示,她向众多中国国旗和标语的地方走去。她伸出手臂在头顶作出“暂停”的手势。

但是无人理睬这位调解人,王小姐很快发现,由于中国人对于中断的奥运火炬接力以及批评政府的西藏政策的愤怒,dl喇嘛的人民,这个曾进是校园最受欢迎的观点-已经成为一个危险的引爆点。

第二天,一张在王小姐的额头上写着中文"国家的叛徒"(注;traitor to your county这点我可能翻译不是最准确的,只能表达意思,也许原图不是这么写的。但意思即是叛徒是绝对没有错的。)"的照片出现在一个以中国学生为主的网络论坛上。王小姐的的中文姓名,身份证号码及联络资料被张贴,随附着她父母在青岛,一个中国港口城市的地址。

通过这些有意识的丑陋的谣言和巧妙处理后的照片,关于一个年轻女子站在了西藏支持者的一边的故事开始在中国的各大流行网站上发布。在每一个网站上迅速激起成千上网的愤怒的,带有贬低意味的回帖。其中一些甚至建议用油焚烧这位年轻的rosy(带有可爱,年少的意思)王小姐。有人甚至张贴了一张传闻是将一桶粪便浇到她已经躲藏起来的父母门前的照片。

"如果你回到中国,你的尸体将被切成10000片, "一封写给王小姐的邮件里写道。 另一个威胁是"请人肉搜索" !,利用网络进行人身攻击的行动。

在周三接受采访时,王小姐说她被没有必要的诽谤。

“如果叛徒是指的损害中国的人,那么我就不是,”她说。“那些激烈的攻击我的人才会更加损害中国形象。”

她补充说:“他们并不知道他们表示的"热爱中国"的含义。它并不意味着剥夺其他人发言的权力;并不意味着让我或者其他人闭嘴。

她说在一份2006年受到夸奖的档案中,她被青岛的一份报纸形容为"为政治而生"。她用中国古典语言写诗,会弹奏一种名为"古筝"中国的古典乐器",并在家乡的时候参与民主主义的讨论。

王小姐说她并不主张zd,但是她说,如果两方都能理解对方,问题可能会减少很多。

从上个月的西藏暴力行为曝光后,包括CORNELL,华盛顿大学,加州大学,IRVINE等大学,出现了众多的反示威者。

当上周王小姐出现在两个阵营中的时候,中国学生似乎期望她加入他们的阵营,但是她不愿意。

他们看到我的决定时非常的震惊,因为中国人示威的群体以为我不应该有任何犹豫”她说。“最后我决定不站在任何一边,因为他们都太极端了。”

DANIEL R.CORDERO(人名)。来自DUKE大学人权组织并做为西藏示威者的其中一名组织者说; 当王小姐走出来面对反示威者的时候,他正在散发宣传单。

"她就像是在说"为什么你们针对DUKE大学的学生?让我们与他们谈谈,"他说。"我当时想,哦,天,说真的,这样做没有什么用"。

王小姐在中间努力的调解却遭到中国学生的侮辱和猥亵

"她站在自己的立场,她真的是一个很勇敢的女孩"Adam Weiss,这位王小姐在他背上写"解放西藏"的学生说道。“有200个你自己的带民族主义的同胞像你吼叫,并叫你为叛徒,更威胁要杀了你。”

在王小姐的要求下,他最终与其中的一些中国反示威者谈话,他说“最终我们认为我们可以妥协并认为我们都希望提高中国人的人权,尤其是西藏人。”

Sherry,一个因害怕受到打扰而不愿意透露她姓名的中国研究生却对这个事情的看法表示王小姐不是那么英勇。

“她指出自己只是想在双方之间创造沟通,但事实上在那天之前她什么都没做。她没有与任何组织者沟通,事实上只是在表演”Sherry说。但是她对那些对王小姐的反击形容为“恐怖”。

“有少数学生对她非常愤怒”她说,“但是有更多的其他人在试图保护她,试着为她说话。事实上,大多数人并不认为她做错了什么而被这样对待”

她说王小姐需要给一些同情心当她在DUKE大学内部的一篇文章中,指责DUKE中国留学生和学生会通过电子邮件散发她的个人信息。

本周,三名学生会干部在一篇公开信件里指出;邮件地址原本就是是公开的,并指出对王小姐的那些口头攻击是“麻烦(注,原文用词troubling,翻译理解为麻烦,可有其他意义困扰等,请自己体会。)的和罪恶的”。信中指出,她的个人信息以及那些带有进攻型言论的回帖一旦被发现都已经被删除。

学生组织(这里指广泛意义的此学校学生组织)指责(中国)学生会允许这些回帖(其意思为这些回帖就不应该被出现。)

ZHIZONGLI,中国学生会主席,回答了学校的大多数疑问,但表示,只有大约1/3的中国反示威者是学生会成员。DUKE大学只有大约500名中国学生。

王小姐已经聘请了一名律师,她说把她的资料从网上删除这一做法并不足够。她说“我会永远被看做一个叛徒,而且他们依然能伤害我的父母”

但做为一个被威胁身体受到肢解的女士,她看起来却非常的满怀希望,甚至更加乐观。

“我的父母对我非常宽容”她解释说。“他们在很长一段时间内对我很失望,但我说服他们用不同的方式思考问题

如果我可以改变我的父母,我也可以改变其他人

【评】从文章看,王并没有表明自己对于DL这件事情的明确态度,既不反对也不赞同,可以说态度暧昧,“最后我决定不站在任何一边,因为他们都太极端了”,在这种民族问题上态度的暧昧本身是错误也是愚蠢的。

如果我可以改变我的父母,我也可以改变其他人”一个试图改变他人的人自己往往不能融入群体,更容易产生把自己看成英雄和名人般的自以为是,她不能体会到自己的错误,至少目前一段时间内。  
PS:这样的人是可悲的也是容易引起其他人反感的,她本身没有做出任何叛国举动(例如像某某中国自由学者那样在历史问题上给中国抹黑、或者有间谍行为)只能说言语和思维很愚蠢,请大家不要采取过激行为对待这样一个人,没有意义,也没有有效作用。另外国外记者更关注对于王的人身攻击,而不是她的言论,因为文中很明显暗示对她的言论起得作用不感兴趣。(对于她想成名的问题上不予评论,还不如芙蓉姐姐,至少芙蓉姐姐还有一点点的自知之明。)

【原始页面】 orginal.rar (473.98 KB, 下载次数: 0)
[ 本帖最后由 semirock 于 2008-4-18 00:36 编辑 ]

评分

查看全部评分

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-26 04:22 , Processed in 0.037114 second(s), 22 queries , Gzip On.