注册会员

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 525|回复: 0

[翻译完毕] 【20100906英国卫报】Tony Blair scraps London book signing

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-9-7 10:01 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 yangfuguang 于 2010-9-7 10:02 编辑

Tony Blair has cancelled a London signing of his memoirs, A Journey. Photograph: David Levene for the Guardian

Tony Blair today cancelled a high-profile signing of his new memoirs in central London amid warnings that he would face a hostile reception from anti-war protesters.

The former prime minister scrapped the event on the day he signalled a desire to return to domestic politics as he conducted a round of interviews to promote his book, called A Journey.

He cancelled his appearance at the flagship Waterstone's store in Piccadilly, which had been scheduled for Wednesday.

Days earlier, eggs and shoes had been thrown at him as he attended a signing in Dublin. Four men were arrested and charged with public order offences.

Blair said he had decided to scrap the London signing because he did not want to subject the public to the "inevitable hassle" the protests would cause or strain police resources.
Announcing the decision in a statement, he said he would provide signed copies to the store for those who had planned to attend.
"However, I have decided not to go ahead with the signing as I don't want the public to be inconvenienced by the inevitable hassle caused by protesters," he added.
"I know the Metropolitan police would, as ever, have done a superb job in managing any disruption, but I do not wish to impose an extra strain on police resources simply for a book signing.
"I'm really sorry for those – as ever, the majority – who would have come to have their books signed by me in person. I hope they understand."
Waterstone's confirmed that a limited number of signed copies of A Journey would be available from the Piccadilly store from 9am on Thursday.

The managing director, Dominic Myers, said these would be sold on a first come, first served basis, with one copy per customer.
"Our job as a bookseller is to bring books to our customers, and where possible enable them to meet authors as well," he said.
"It is a matter of regret that, because of the likely actions of a minority, our customers are now not able to meet a three-times elected prime minister of the United Kingdom whose book has become our fastest-selling autobiography ever."

Blair told ITV's new breakfast programme, Daybreak, it was "sad" that people wanted to disrupt such events and admitted he was "concerned" the BNP would be involved in protests.

He hinted that he was seeking to make a return to British political life, but admitted it would be "very difficult" for him to do so.
His comments followed an interview published in the Sunday Times magazine yesterday, in which he said: "I feel a great urge to participate in my country's political life."
Blair, who was PM for 10 years before quitting in May 2007, said he would "love to" be involved in some way.
Asked on ITV about his apparent hints at a comeback, he said: "What did I have in mind when I said that? I don't know, actually, because I am sure it would be very difficult for me to play a part here.

"But what I really wanted to say was that I remain deeply committed to the country. I love this country and I want to see it do well."
His "new life" outside domestic politics had shown him that Britain had "a lot that we need to do to prepare for the future", he said, adding: "Frankly, I doubt there is a way I can play a part – but if I can, I would love to."

In an interview with Sky News, Blair admitted he feared that British politics had probably "finished with me" rather than the other way around.
"I don't know. You never know, but don't take that as a great sign that I've got some great plan in mind, because I don't really," he said.

He underlined his commitment to domestic policy in an interview in today's Telegraph, in which he said he saw himself as "basically a public service guy" and added: "If the right job came up, I'd definitely do it."

Blair used the newspaper interview to mount his first direct policy attack on the coalition as he criticised the liberal prison policies being pursued by David Cameron's government.

The former prime minister, who once promised to be "tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime", said he "profoundly disagrees" with the approach of Kenneth Clarke, the justice secretary, who has rejected the "prison works" mantra of previous administrations.

Clarke has challenged the trend towards larger prison populations and questioned the need for short sentences, suggesting the government could save money by locking up fewer offenders and focusing more on rehabilitation.
But Blair called for "a far tougher, more targeted way" of tackling crime. "You've got to put in prison those who deserve to be there," he said.

He said "dysfunctional families who produce 14-year-old kids stabbing one another to death" are "making people's lives hell" and suggested Britain could learn from developing countries that "just don't accept" criminality.
2010-09-07_013627.png

评分

查看全部评分

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-7-6 03:58 , Processed in 0.050975 second(s), 29 queries , Gzip On.