注册会员

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 5626|回复: 23

强烈推荐NPR5月14日的地震报道

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-5-16 04:45 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
录音在这里:
http://www.npr.org/templates/player/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=90447603&m=90447566

文章在这里:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/chengdu/2008/05/we_found_fu_guanyu_and.html#more

这是NPR记者发自都江堰的报道,采访的记者化了一天时间陪伴一对夫妻为他们埋在废墟下的孩子和父母寻找援助,记者中间几乎哽咽不能成句. 网站上现在有
100多篇非常好的评论,大多都是来自上班路上听到感动落泪的美国人。

这是我听过的最感人最有良知的西方媒体报道, 就冲这个报道,我会一直支持NPR。

NPR: National Public Radio(国家公共广播电台)是一个私人的和大众资助的非营利性组织的媒体,相对其他媒体比较中立客观。

Dujiangyan Parents' Search for Child

We found Fu Guanyu and her husband Wang Wei as they clung frantically to the long arm of a Hitachi excavator as it rumbled through the city of Dujiangyan.They were crying and seemed to be trying to pull the heavy machine, as if they could make it move faster toward their home. Their six-story apartment building had collapsed in the earthquake. Their toddler son, Wang Zhilu, was buried under the debris along with his grandparents. Mrs Fu broke down as she told me she still had hope their son would be found alive.

This was the moment we first saw Wang Wei and Fu Guanyu, as they were begging the driver of an excavator to go to their house to try to rescue their son and his parents.
Photo by Andrea Hsu, NPR

MOM, PLEASE DON'T GO!

An hour or so later, the excavator was at work on the rubble that was the six story building where Wang Wei's parents lived.
Photo by Andrea Hsu, NPR

She had just left for work on Monday when the earthquake struck. She told me, sobbing, that the boy begged her before she left, "Mom, please don't go." The panicked couple led the excavator through this city of half a million. The Wang family said soldiers came quickly to help them on Monday after the quake hit but they had no heavy equipment. Now the equipment had arrived but couldn't get through the gate into the apartment complex without knocking it down. A local official phoned for permission, permission was granted-and the excavator made quick work of destroying the gate. Mrs Fu and Mr Wang rushed toward the remains of their building.
TOPPLING SIDEWAYS
The structure had toppled sideways and collapsed, pancaking on itself. No walls were standing-just massive slabs of masonry-rebar-and bricks-in a pile three stories deep. Mrs Fu trembled and wept as she watched the claw lift huge pieces of the building aside so workers could get toward the interior. She told me she had climbed up on the rubble pile three times since Monday, calling for her son. When the excavator finished clearing some of the largest pieces, she and her husband clambered up the debris pile, calling out the boy's name- "Wang!" she cried in a trembling voice. "Mom is coming for you!"
But the utter devastation of this building, with no air pockets visible, left little hope that anyone inside could have survived. A long wait began. Eventually, enough rubble was cleared that a woman's hand became visible emerging from the debris, a thin band on the right ring finger. Another family climbed up and made the painful realization that they recognized the ring. The stench of death started to fill the courtyard.
HOPE SEEMS TO DRAIN
With some bodies now found, the military was called in. Soon, about three dozen military police arrived in green camouflage fatigues and black rubber boots but with no supplies or equipment.. Mrs. Fu and Mr. Wang ran out to buy them cotton gloves and white cotton face masks. Other neighbors brought shovels. Friends brought out a white sheet and told Mrs. Fu they hoped her son and his grandparents would be found alive but just in case, they would tear this sheet into pieces so they could cover the victims' faces.
And as the day dragged on, any hope seemed to drain from the parents' faces. The couple began sobbing, holding each other tight. "I should have brought him with me to work," Mrs. Fu wailed, as she sagged into her husband's embrace. "He didn't want me to leave him!" Local officials arrived to tell the family that if the bodies were found, they would be taken away for quick cremation out of fear that disease would spread. But there are so many bodies in this badly-hit city that the local authorities are overwhelmed. Mrs. Fu and Mr. Wang settled in for a long wait. Friends came with bags holding paper money, incense, and firecrackers. The paper money would be burned for the victims to use in the afterlife; the firecrackers would ward off evil spirits. In the meantime, waiting. And hoping against all hope.

Wang Wei and Fu Guanyu, grieving the -- at that moment -- presumed loss of his parents and their son.
Photo by Andrea Hsu, NPR

At 4:40 in the afternoon, a worker came out and said, "we've found a child." The parents went limp. "Was he about two, wearing a striped shirt?" the mother cried. The worker nodded. The parents, along with aunts and uncles, sobbed and clutched each other tight. The mother cried out to the worker through her tears one last desperate appeal, "Did you call out to him? Maybe he had just fainted."
Wang Zhilu, two months shy of his second birthday, was found in the arms of his grandfather, with his grandmother holding onto her husband from behind. All three were dead - three among what are likely to be tens of thousands of people who perished in Monday's earthquake.

-- Melissa Block

Note: Melissa revised this post at on May 14, 2008 at 2:54 p.m. eastern because some readers were unclear whether the family had survived.

[ 本帖最后由 luyi99 于 2008-5-16 07:03 编辑 ]
发表于 2008-5-16 04:53 | 显示全部楼层
咋没翻译呢?盼望!:(
 楼主| 发表于 2008-5-16 05:16 | 显示全部楼层

都江堰家长寻找孩子

当我们发现富关羽(译音)和她的丈夫王伟时,他们正疯狂地抓住轰鸣着通过都江堰市的日立挖掘机。他们哭泣着,试图拉重型机器,似乎他们可以使它更快地到达他们的家园。他们的6层公寓楼在地震中倒塌。他们学步的儿子,王zhilu ,随着他的祖父母被埋在废墟下。当她告诉我,她仍希望他们的儿子会发现活着,富关羽泣不成声。

图片1说明: 这是我们第一次看到王伟和富关羽,因为他们乞求挖掘机司机到他们的家,试图拯救他们的儿子和他的父母。

图片2说明: 一小时后,挖掘机在瓦砾中工作,这个6层的楼是王伟的父母住的地方。

妈妈,请不要去!

周一当地震发生时,她只是离家去上班。她抽泣着告诉我,她离开之前儿子求她, “妈妈,请不要去” 。惊惶失措的夫妇俩带领挖掘机通过这个50万人口的城市。

王的家人说,周一地震发生后,士兵很快就来协助他们,但他们没有重型装备。现在设备已经到达,但未能通过闸门进入公寓区里,除非把它砸了。一名地方官员打电话取得了许可,挖掘机快速的摧毁了大门。富和王冲向他们的住所的残骸。

摇摇欲坠的墙壁

建筑物结构只剩下摇摇欲坠的墙壁和坍塌。没有墙壁-只有大量的砖混结构地基和3层楼高的钢筋和砖。富颤抖和哭泣,看着挖掘机举起巨大的建筑物碎片移到旁边,这样工人才能进入内部。她告诉我自周一,她三次爬上了瓦砾堆喊她儿子。当挖掘机移完一些最大的碎片,她和她的丈夫 爬上了碎片桩,呼喊着她儿子的名字-“王” !她哭了,用颤抖的声音说: “妈妈来找你了!”

但这座大楼的彻底破坏,空气的缺乏,使得留在里头的人存活的希望很小。漫长的等待开始了。最后足够的瓦砾被清除,一名女子的手从碎片里头露出来,右手无名指上带着指环。另一家庭爬上来痛苦地认尸,他们认识这指环。死亡的臭味开始在庭院飘散。

希望在流逝

随着一些尸体的发现,有人通知了军队。很快,大约三十几个着绿色迷彩服和黑色胶靴的武警赶到,但他们没有用品或设备。傅和王跑去给他们购买棉质手套和白色棉花口罩。其他的邻居带来了铁锹。朋友们带来了一个白被单,并告诉富,他们希望她的儿子和他的祖父母会发现活着,但是万一他们没存活,他们将把白被单撕成了碎片,使他们可以覆盖受害者的面孔。

当时间流逝,似乎任何希望也从家长的脸上流失。这对夫妇开始哭泣,紧抱着对方。 “我应该带他上班, ”傅嚎啕 ,瘫在她丈夫的怀抱里。 “他不希望我离开他! ” 当地官员抵达告诉家人,如果尸体被发现,为防止疾病蔓延,他们会带走快速火葬。但在这严重受灾的城市,有这么多的尸体,地方当局不知所措。傅和王定下来继续漫长的等待。朋友带着装有纸钱,香,爆竹的袋子过来。纸钱将被烧毁,供受害者在来世使用,爆竹将驱赶邪灵。在此期间,等待,期望继续着。

图片3说明: 王伟和富关羽,悲痛欲绝---在判断他的父母和他们的儿子已经受害的那一刻。

下午4时40分,一名工人出来,并说: “我们发现孩子了” 。家长蹒跚往前。 “是不是约两岁大,身穿条纹衬衫?” 母亲哭了。工人点头。父母,阿姨和叔叔们互相搀扶着抽泣。母亲哭了出来,透过她的眼泪向工人发出最后一个绝望的呼吁: “你叫他一声呢?也许他刚刚昏倒了” 。

王zhilu ,还差二个月到他的第二个生日,被发现在他的祖父怀里,祖母从背后抱着她的丈夫,所有3人均已死亡-   在周一的地震里成千上万的死去的人里头的三个。

[ 本帖最后由 luyi99 于 2008-5-16 08:16 编辑 ]

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2008-5-16 05:48 | 显示全部楼层
我一起建议建立本网评分制度,对于公正客观的西方媒体加分,对于像明镜这样的纳粹媒体减分,年终来个评比,看看哪家媒体纳粹指数最高
发表于 2008-5-16 07:50 | 显示全部楼层
当我们对此报道很感动时,是否意识到,
这本来是媒体工作者应该做的,这是人类的应有的良知!

而那些继续做落井下石、雪上加霜的西方国家、媒体,已经退化为政治动物,而非人类!
发表于 2008-5-16 08:14 | 显示全部楼层
能不能麻烦再翻译的好点?看不太明白:handshake
发表于 2008-5-16 09:19 | 显示全部楼层
感谢人性的报道...刚刚才看了CNN借地震攻击中国独生子女政策的文章还气得不行, 现在看了这篇是难过得不行...
听着女记者哽咽的声音, 眼睛又湿了
真希望西媒能多一点这样人性真实的报道, 现在根本不是该攻击政体政策的时候! 中国人民正在承受什么样的巨大痛苦, 西霉们请有点良知吧!!!
 楼主| 发表于 2008-5-16 10:23 | 显示全部楼层

some comments

Comments (Send a comment)

Amazing story!
I heard the beginning of this on the radio this morning...plus another one of a woman (eight months pregnant) found after fifty hours.

Melissa's writing has brought the sad story very much to life.

Sent by Barbara Gavin | 7:27 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Thank you, Melissa, for such a moving story...

Sent by james | 7:43 AM ET | 05-14-2008

i cant stop crying for this family. I am so sorry for all.

Sent by sarah | 7:48 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Mom is coming for you! I burst into years... I can't listen to your reports anymore.
Rescue troops, hurry up, help our people!

Sent by J. Yang | 9:11 AM ET | 05-14-2008

I live in Memphis but I was born in Sichuan and had lived in Chengdu for 6 years. My heart cries with the parents who lost their kids. I really appreciate your timely and in-depth reporting from there. Every day on my way to and off work, I always tune to NPR and get the first hand information from you. God bless the people there...

Sent by Daniel Liu | 9:11 AM ET | 05-14-2008
 楼主| 发表于 2008-5-16 10:23 | 显示全部楼层
all me slow. Is the child alive?

Sent by chengdu | 9:33 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Please, are the child & grandma alive?

Sent by Chengdu | 9:34 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Thank you so much for the coverage of the earthquake. I am really touched by your stories.

Sent by Janet Wang | 9:54 AM ET | 05-14-2008

You made the unimaginable personal. Thank you for putting this disaster in perspective - for reminding us that every number on the death toll is a heart wrenching tear in the lives of those involved.

Sent by Gavin | 9:56 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Thank you for your story. My heart and prayers are with you and the people of China.

Sent by Mark E. | 9:56 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Thank you, Melissa Block, for connecting us to the people of China through your writing, your reporting. I don't want to feel this pain with my morning coffee, but it motivates me to help in a way that a few paragraphs in a newspaper might not.

Sent by Margarita | 9:57 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Do you have any information from Nanchong (about 65 miles east of Chengdu)?

Sent by Judy Jones | 10:17 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Tear fills my eyes as I read it. I spent my 4 year college life in Chengdu. I had very deep feeling about the city. Fortunately all my classmates and their family members living in the area are safe. But I feel devastating for those kids lost in this disaster.

Sent by yz | 10:19 AM ET | 05-14-2008

I am sobbing.

So miserable !!!

body everywhere... wenchuan and its around have been totally destroyed... hope to rescue and reinforce quickly

Sent by spike | 10:24 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Thank you for the story. Take care.

Sent by Wenyan Yuan | 10:28 AM ET | 05-14-2008

I hope you are OK emotionally Melissa- it has to be very traumatic for you to be covering this-I hope someone is there for you and Robert and your producers and photographer who is trained to give support to disaster victims which you are! And how is your family coping?

Sent by Valerie | 11:08 AM ET | 05-14-2008

As a new parent myself, I cannot imagine enduring the grief of the sad parents. I was very much moved by Melissa Block's story, and reminded again of the good fortune I have to spend today, tomorrow, and the next day, and the next... with my children, for nothing is guaranteed.

I will also offer a silent prayer for Wang Wei and Fu Guanyu.

Sent by Dan W. | 11:22 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Very touching! Thank you!

Sent by lakeaustin | 11:36 AM ET | 05-14-2008

oh how sad. I just couldn't stop crying. God please help them! May the victims rest in peace. Please care for the survivors and give strength to the rescuers.

Sent by Melody | 11:56 AM ET | 05-14-2008
 楼主| 发表于 2008-5-16 10:24 | 显示全部楼层
Thank you for your story. My heart and prayers are with you and the people of China.

Sent by Mark E. | 9:56 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Thank you, Melissa Block, for connecting us to the people of China through your writing, your reporting. I don't want to feel this pain with my morning coffee, but it motivates me to help in a way that a few paragraphs in a newspaper might not.

Sent by Margarita | 9:57 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Do you have any information from Nanchong (about 65 miles east of Chengdu)?

Sent by Judy Jones | 10:17 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Tear fills my eyes as I read it. I spent my 4 year college life in Chengdu. I had very deep feeling about the city. Fortunately all my classmates and their family members living in the area are safe. But I feel devastating for those kids lost in this disaster.

Sent by yz | 10:19 AM ET | 05-14-2008

I am sobbing.

So miserable !!!

body everywhere... wenchuan and its around have been totally destroyed... hope to rescue and reinforce quickly

Sent by spike | 10:24 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Thank you for the story. Take care.

Sent by Wenyan Yuan | 10:28 AM ET | 05-14-2008

I hope you are OK emotionally Melissa- it has to be very traumatic for you to be covering this-I hope someone is there for you and Robert and your producers and photographer who is trained to give support to disaster victims which you are! And how is your family coping?

Sent by Valerie | 11:08 AM ET | 05-14-2008

As a new parent myself, I cannot imagine enduring the grief of the sad parents. I was very much moved by Melissa Block's story, and reminded again of the good fortune I have to spend today, tomorrow, and the next day, and the next... with my children, for nothing is guaranteed.

I will also offer a silent prayer for Wang Wei and Fu Guanyu.

Sent by Dan W. | 11:22 AM ET | 05-14-2008

Very touching! Thank you!

Sent by lakeaustin | 11:36 AM ET | 05-14-2008

oh how sad. I just couldn't stop crying. God please help them! May the victims rest in peace. Please care for the survivors and give strength to the rescuers.

Sent by Melody | 11:56 AM ET | 05-14-2008
 楼主| 发表于 2008-5-16 10:25 | 显示全部楼层
Thank you for all your coverage from China. This is true journalism! You are connecting me to people in my homeland.

Please let the world know the sufferings the victims are enduring.

Sent by David Shen | 12:17 PM ET | 05-14-2008

How can all these people die in one moment without the people of the world feeling the loss in a physical wave of electric energy...like a light going out inside all of us? The image of this little toddler, found as he was, is heart-wrenching and too difficult to bear. As a mother, I am not sure how you cope with this. I can only pray he left this world without much pain or fear. My heart goes out to every victim in both China and Burma.

Sent by Jaime Ann | 12:23 PM ET | 05-14-2008

Having spent time studying and teaching in Chengdu 26 years ago, I've been looking forward to your coverage on Sichuan for several weeks. I have very fond memories of this beautiful countryside and the exceptional people who live there. The nature of your news gathering has changed dramatically but I can think of no other organization I would rather have telling this important story to the world. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this disaster.

Sent by Andrea S. | 12:26 PM ET | 05-14-2008

How about big companies like Walmart and LL Bean who have clothes and tents manufactured in China, divert many of these items to those now in need of clothing and shelter. Keep completed items in China for a while.

Sent by Marion | 12:29 PM ET | 05-14-2008

I love all the parents in the world. I can't hold my tears again

Sent by Pei Wang (Houston) | 12:34 PM ET | 05-14-2008

Thank you for the story. My eyes are full of tears. As a father of three young children, I know how much pain and suffer the parents have to go through; tragically, there are thousands of parents lost their beloved children, in most cases their only child, during this quake. Just wish life could be a little kind to them.

Sent by john | 12:44 PM ET | 05-14-2008

Really touching story.

Sent by frank | 12:56 PM ET | 05-14-2008

I'm speechless, what we can do to help those parents and victims. So sad ...

Sent by hui xiong | 1:06 PM ET | 05-14-2008

I can't imagine their grief and helplessness, I'm in tears. My daughters are Chinese, my smallest was born near Chongqing, our ties to China run deep. I pictured my second daughter's loving foster grandparents when I read your story: so frail, so protective. The loss, the suffering and pain are immeasurable, your stories are wrenching, your job is important, keep this tragedy in focus, the world needs to respond.

Sent by Marji | 1:10 PM ET | 05-14-2008

I have no words to describe my feeling when I read this story. I am holding my breath all the way through the reading and I can not hold my tears any more. As a mother of two, I can not even imagine if I am in the mom's position. Wish all the best to the parents and their kids. Thank you for your story, which makes me precious every moment of kids. My heart goes out with all the victims.

Sent by Jasmine Wang | 1:19 PM ET | 05-14-2008

Thanks NPR for bringing us this touching story. I sincerely hope that All of us can help the disaster relief effort as we can by going to China, Hong Kong or American Red Cross. They all have special program for this purpose.

Sent by Tony Chen | 1:26 PM ET | 05-14-2008

Thank you, Melissa, for giving this tragedy a face, name, and story. It makes it much more difficult for those of us on the other side of the world to block it out and act as though it doesn't affect us. My thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone striving to cope with this catastrophe.

Sent by Meg | 1:29 PM ET | 05-14-2008

Tears have come out of eyes many times for the people died in the earthquake in Sichuan, and in the flood in Burma. To think about that a few days ago many of them were still living in the world as us, but died suddenly in a second, I have to appreciate how fortunate we are and have to realize how fragile human is. Let's help those in tragedy. I am going to donate more money.

Sent by Ching Luke | 1:35 PM ET | 05-14-2008

Thank you for being. Thank you for being a witness, a voice, a thread connecting us all. Your humanity is much appreciated.

Rivers of tears for all beings who are suffering in China and across the globe.

Sent by Aimee Ledbetter | 1:35 PM ET | 05-14-2008
 楼主| 发表于 2008-5-16 10:31 | 显示全部楼层

just posted my comment

Melisa,

I want to add my appreciation on the top of all the compliments to you.

I translated this story in to Chinese and posted it on one Chinese forum. My tears couldn't stop while I was doing that.

Every morning on the way to work I listen to NPR. "Melisa Block, All things consider" is so familiar to me. But until today I just found out I knew so little about you. Until today you became a live people and came so close to me.

I am a Chinese who have lived in the states for more than 10 years. Even since the earthquake hit on Monday I have been checking news update online. I skipped those sad stories and horrible pictures. And suddenly your story, your voice touched the bottom of my heart.

I have never donated to NPR and I am shame on myself.

Thank you.
发表于 2008-5-16 10:32 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 大卫的铁拳 于 2008-5-16 05:48 发表
我一起建议建立本网评分制度,对于公正客观的西方媒体加分,对于像明镜这样的纳粹媒体减分,年终来个评比,看看哪家媒体纳粹指数最高

支持这个建议,建议你把这个建议作为新条目从新开启一个话题。以引起版主的注意。
发表于 2008-5-16 10:56 | 显示全部楼层
很难过很难过的结果。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
发表于 2008-5-16 12:11 | 显示全部楼层
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
发表于 2008-5-16 13:20 | 显示全部楼层
默哀ING:time: :time: :time:
发表于 2008-5-16 15:47 | 显示全部楼层
其实我也不喜欢这种报道风格
我还是喜欢中国似的风格,
就是突出报道了的施救者和被救者之间的无私的感情,是人与人之间相互帮助相互守望的温情.
这就表现在:
施救者对受难者的无私奉献上,如军队拼命的举动,全国性的献血.等等
还有,受难者对施救者的感恩,如各种感谢政府的语言,和各种感恩的画面.
我觉得对受难者的痛苦,中国媒体是有意识得做了一点模糊处理的,而且我觉得这没有什么不对,因为媒体在这时候是有责任宣染希望和信心.这时候不是大规模地渲染悲伤绝望的情绪这对救灾没有好处.

对于NPR记者他的报道侧重点就是某个受难者的悲伤绝望情绪.而对于施救者辛苦劳工作(有许多人是连续20多个小时高强度连续工作)的漠视达到令人发指的程度.
NPR记者报道的确是事实,但我不知道如何评价他们的切入点.
比如报道一只活兔子.
中国式报道就给你报道一只活兔,虽然有时有点变形,不过还是只活兔.
NPR记者就是给受众看一张血淋淋的兔子解剖图片.
我只想说在这种文化氛围熏陶下,难怪他们的大兵会带着枪坐着坦克去抢险救灾.
我只想说万幸四川汶川在中国治下.

[ 本帖最后由 why_together 于 2008-5-16 15:55 编辑 ]
发表于 2008-5-16 17:34 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 why_together 于 2008-5-16 15:47 发表
其实我也不喜欢这种报道风格
我还是喜欢中国似的风格,
就是突出报道了的施救者和被救者之间的无私的感情,是人与人之间相互帮助相互守望的温情.
这就表现在:
施救者对受难者的无私奉献上,如军队拼命的举动,全国性的献 ...

我很赞成,有时候淡化悲伤并非为了美化什么,不过是希望可以增强自信。沉浸悲情不如转化动力。
发表于 2008-5-16 19:52 | 显示全部楼层
挺好多报道中国又多惨他们能多捐点钱。如果他们捐的话
发表于 2008-5-16 21:27 | 显示全部楼层
写的这么感人,真是受不了。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-24 13:18 , Processed in 0.046195 second(s), 20 queries , Gzip On.