四月青年社区

找回密码
 注册会员

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 2863|回复: 16

[08.08.28] AC 海外网友 沈先生 新作 Go your own way; let others talk!

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-8-28 01:54 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
【鸣谢】AC 海外特约专栏作家 Mr. James 为AC 发来了他的又一力作!

特此发布与各位共享!不得不说,这样高水平的强帖好文对AC 和AC 网友都是极大的收获!

Go your own way; let others talk!

By James Shen

I recently wrote an article “Mainstream Western media stages Blemishing China Marathon” which was posted on a number of blogs and websites. Many comments were received, most were generally supportive or partly positive, while a few readers expressed their criticisms especially over my observations on politics and problems in the US or the influence of the mainstream Western media.

Some Western readers felt the discomfort of being criticized by an supposedly “outsider” (BTW, I resent that idea because I am a Chinese American with 24 years of experience of studying, living and working in the West), but it is in fact an intended simulation exercise for them to get a taste of how it feels to be criticized by outsiders. Hopefully this will help some develop the skill set to see things from different perspectives.

There are also comments that urge me to write follow up articles either to continue criticisms on the Western media or to provide more balanced and less emotional observations on differences and problems of China and the West.

My first article was inspired by a total off-balance in the Western media coverage of Beijing Olympics, and the intention was to draw attention from people to this issue and urge Western media and their reporters to rekindle their much preached doctrines of objectivity and independence. It was the hope of the article to promote the Olympic spirits of mutual understanding and tolerance so that we can share “a better and peaceful world” in “these increasingly troubled times.”

The article also was not intended to invite or intensify arguments about different views people have about the world around them, be it religious freedom in China or racial tensions in the US.

I am neither motivated nor qualified to offer much observation on a wide range of issues and challenges facing both the West and China. I am an ordinary person who usually enjoys blog writing in Chinese about family, friends, food, fun and travel. I am or was a Christian who is now increasingly attracted by the fundamentals of Daoism and Buddhism. I am more interested in learning than offering at this point. So let this article be the final one from me about the issue of Western media coverage on China.

The party is finally over

2008 Olympics just closed in Beijing and the central scene of the closing ceremony was a grand party between the audience, volunteers, officials and athletes from 204 countries. It may not be as spectacular as the opening ceremony but the idea of harmony and friendship was nevertheless presented successfully.

Although I was hoping that the presentation from London would be more centered on old British traditions, double-deck bus and umbrellas did give us a unique and truthful image of London – the one I knew very well. Let’s wish London all the best with a hassle free Olympics in 2012. By the way, it was not my intention to encourage anyone to protest in London in 2012, and the Chinese is encouraged to show the world the wisdom of restraint and generosity not to retaliate with any law-breaking protests, biased coverage or vandalism in the 2012 London Olympics.

Time to clean up China’s own house

As for the Chinese, there are a lot to be concerned about after thegrand party of 2008 Beijing Olympics is over. It is time to clean upthe post-party mess in Beijing and start to refocus on domestic issuesand various ongoing and pending reforms.

While the China coverage by mainstream Western media is often taintedby self-serving motives and tend to be unconstructive in many ways,many problems or symptoms pointed out by foreign papers are areas whereChina needs improvements. Without doubt, the contemporary challengesfaced by China are much more extensive and complex than what theWestern media can comprehend, and these needs to be tackled one at atime at a pace which does not upset the country’s stability so that thefruits of reform so far can be preserved and shared.

I applaud the Chinese government in making the country’s “stability”its top priority ahead of all other objectives. It is also a greatrelief to see this Chinese government put its emphasis on “socialharmony”, “people-orientation”, “environmental conservation” and “highquality economic development”.

Granted, there is still a vast pool of problems facing the country,especially at the local levels and in less-economically developedareas. There are structural flaws in the Chinese political system,government organization, legal system and social-economic hierarchythat need to be reformed. Corruption is still rampant, environments aredamaged, and the fruits of 30 years of reform are not shared equally byall Chinese people. On top of these, there are territorial, racial andreligious issues which are deeply-rooted in China’s history.

How should the Chinese deal with these? Should these be resolvedthrough direct confrontations between the people, interest groups andthe government by means of protests, vandalism, movements, negativepress coverage, pressure tactics or violence & riots? If theseconfrontational approaches don’t work, should the Chinese seek a regimechange? Who is going to take over? Will the new regime be a better or aworse one? Will there be another cultural revolution, more turmoil oreven an internal war?

The Chinese people already paid a dear price for following therevolution theory of Karl Marx which advocated for achieving societytransformation and resolve class conflicts through violence? Enough isenough!

It was the fear of endless internal political turmoil and the culturalrevolution, regardless whether they were started from top to bottom orfrom bottom to top, that drove me and many of my peers away from China.Should there be more turmoil in the country, China will suffer, theChinese people will suffer, and, make no mistake about it, the wholeworld will suffer too. Imagine the disruptions to the global supplychain and the international financial market, destabilization ofsurrounding countries, massive legal or illegal immigration, to namejust a few. So, think again now, does the West still want to seeturmoil in China?

Learn from the West selectively and wisely

With reference to this topic, there are lessons to be drawn from theChinese history. Faced with threats of colonization by Western powersin the 19th century, Li Hongzhang, a prime minister and a leadingreformer of the Qing Dynasty, suggested that “take what is strong (fromthe West) to make up our weakness and pick what are good and suitableto follow” (取彼之长,益我之短,择善而从).

There is much to learn from the West by the Chinese government in areassuch as the tactful handling and use of media (both domestic andinternational), public relations and creation of legal and peacefulvenues for aggravated citizens to express their grief and opinions.There is also much to learn from the West by the Chinese people inareas such as taking advantage of peaceful and legal ways to expressanger and grievances as well as government lobbying. Nevertheless,don’t learn from the illegal Western protestors and hooligans atBeijing Olympics – they are bad examples to be avoided.

At the end of the day, resolving China’s problems will depend on thewisdom of the Chinese people and leadership which are to be drawnmostly from the rich Chinese culture, traditions and heritage. Learningfrom the West should be selective without external pressures and anyattempts to transplant other country’s success will most likely fail. Asystem with Chinese characteristics is definitely the way to go.

China does not need the approval of the West

Constructive suggestions from the West, whether from media,politicians, business people and friendly groups and citizens, shouldalways be encouraged and heard with great respect. For those who arehostile or unfriendly, however, the best response to them is simplyignoring them. Arguing with those who have preconditioned mindset,questionable objectives and ill intentions is a waste of time. “Chinadoesn’t need the approval of the Western media” and “China has emergedas an economic power in the last twenty years without the blessing ofthe West,” a reader commented on my first article. Indeed, everyChinese has worked really hard to get to where the country is now, andthe “mouth water” of the unfriendly Western media can not take it awayor dampen China’s prospects.

Final suggestion

My final advice to the Western media – Try to be objective,constructive, respectful and gracious. Too much bad mouthing will onlyserve to further shrink its influence, creditability and relevance.Learn from many leading Western businesses in China which have bothcontributed to the country and thrived together with it.

My final suggestion to the Chinese people is borrowed from DanteAlighieri’s “The Divine Comedy” – “Go your own way; let others talk!”

-------------------------------------------------

James Shen is a US-based independent business analyst supportingmultinational companies that seek cohesive growth in China. He is anative of Beijing and a naturalized U.S. citizen. He studied in the UKin the 1980s and has lived in the US in the past 19 years.

Synopsis

This is a follow-up article of "Mainstream Western media stagesBlemishing China Marathon". With the Beijing Olympics closingsuccessfully, the author calls China to clean up its own house and drawselectively from the West. However, China's past economic success wasnot built on Western blessing and it does not need the approval of theWest. Those who are hostile and ill-intentioned should simply beignored and deemed irrelevant.

[ 本帖最后由 Nicolle 于 2008-8-28 02:16 编辑 ]
 楼主| 发表于 2008-8-28 01:55 | 显示全部楼层

译文

【鸣谢】感谢AC 特约编译 dakelv 连夜翻译了此文!

【注】英文原文版权属作者 James Shen 所有;译文版权属本站所有,转载请务必注明出处 Anti-cnn.com  谢谢!

译文发布如下,与各位网友共享!

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★  ★ ★ ★ ★ ★★ ★ ★

走自己的路,让别人说去吧

英文原文:James Shen
中文译文:dakelv

最近我写过一篇题为“主流西方媒体上演污蔑中国的马拉松”的文章,并发表在数个博客和网站上。文章得到了很多读者的评论,其中大部分评论总体来说是支持或者部分支持我的观点,也有一些读者提出了批评,尤其是针对我对美国政治和美国问题,以及主流西方媒体的影响力的看法。

对于遭受到一个所谓“外人”的批评(顺便说一下,我不喜欢这种看法,因为我是一个在西方生活、学习、居住了24年的美籍华人),很多西方读者感到不快。但是我这样做其实是以其人之道还治其人之身 - 目的就是让他们也品尝一下被外人批评的滋味。我希望借此机会能帮助他们培养从另外一个角度看问题的能力。

也有读者在评论中敦促我写更多同类文章,或继续批评西方媒体,或针对中国和西方的不同和问题方面提供更公正的、少一些感情色彩的看法。

我写第一篇文章的起因是西方媒体对北京奥运的完全片面的报道,我的用意是引起人们对这个问题的注意,并敦促西方媒体及其记者重新拾起他们一贯标榜的客观和独立的原则。我希望通过那片文章倡导相互理解和宽容的奥运精神,使我们能在这“日益动荡的时期”共享一个“更好、更和平的世界”。

那篇文章的目的不是为了引发或加剧有关人们对周围世界不同看法的争论,不论这种看法是有关中国的宗教自由还是美国的种族紧张。

我没有意愿也没有资格对西方和中国面临的广泛的问题和挑战提出更多的看法。我是一个普通人,通常喜欢在我的中文博客里写有关家庭、朋友、饮食、旅行和一切有意思的事。我是(或者说曾经是)一个基督教徒,但是现在我越来越被道教和佛教的理论所吸引。此刻,我更感兴趣的是学而不是授。所以就把此文当作是我对西方报道中国这个问题的封笔之作吧。

宴席已散

2008北京奥运刚刚结束,闭幕式的中心部分就是观众、志愿者、官员以及来自204个国家的运动员欢聚一堂的盛会。与开幕式相比它可能没有那么壮观,但是它确实成功的展现了和谐友谊这个主题。

虽然我本来希望伦敦8分钟那个节目能更多展现古老的英国传统,但是双层巴士和雨伞也为我们描述了一个独特而真实的伦敦 -一个我非常熟悉的伦敦。让我们祝愿伦敦2012年奥运一切顺利,了无干扰。顺便说一句,我不鼓励任何人2012年到伦敦去抗议示威,我也希望中国人向世界展示他们的智慧、克制和大度,不要在2012年奥运会期间用任何违法的抗议示威、偏颇的报道或者破坏公物的行为来实施报复。

到了中国整理内务的时候了

2008年盛大的奥运聚会结束后,中国人也有很多事情需要关注。现在应该是打扫欢宴后的北京、重新把重点放到国内事务以及正在进行和有待进行的各项改革上的时候了。

虽然主流西方媒体对中国的报道经常带有利己的动机,而且在很多方面丝毫没有建设性,但是国外媒体指出的很多问题和症状也是中国需要改进的领域。毫无疑问,中国面临的新时代的挑战比西方媒体所能理解的要广泛和复杂的多,而且这些挑战需要逐个应付,其步伐也不能太快,以免破坏整个国家的稳定。只有这样才能保持和分享目前取得的改革成果。

我赞成中国政府把国家“稳定”放在比其他任何目标都要重要的优先位置上。我们也非常欣慰地看到这届中国政府对“社会和谐”,“以人为本”,“保护环境”,以及“高质量的经济发展”的重视。

诚然,中国仍然面临着很多问题,尤其在地方和经济不发达地区。中国的政治体制、政府机构、法律系统和社会经济结构上都有很多结构性缺陷需要改革。腐败依然猖獗,环境遭到破坏,广大中国人民没有平等地分享到改革30年的成果。除此之外,还有中国历史上根深蒂固的领土,种族和宗教方面的问题。

中国人如何面对这些挑战?这些问题能通过抗议,破坏,运动,负面媒体报道,施加压力或者通过武力和暴乱来挑起人民、利益团体,和政府之间的正面冲突来解决吗?如果这些靠冲突解决问题的办法行不通,中国人民是否应该追求政权的更替?如果是的话,由谁来执掌政权?新的政权比现政权是更好还是不如现政权?是否还会发生一次文革,导致更多动乱,甚至是内战?

卡尔·马克思的革命理论倡导通过武力来达到社会变革和解决阶级矛盾的目的,遵循这个理论的中国人民已经付出了足够的、巨大的代价。

我以及我的同龄人,正是出于对自下而上或自上而下的国内政局的长期动荡和文革的恐惧而背井离乡的。如果有更多的动荡,受苦的是中国和中国人民,而且毫无疑问,整个世界也不会幸免。想象一下,环球供应链和国际金融市场被破坏,中国周边国家的变得不稳定,大量的合法和非法移民的涌入,等等。所以,重新考虑一下,西方仍然想看到中国发生动荡吗?

有选择性地、明智地向西方学习

这个话题是有史可鉴的。在19世纪,面对被西方列强瓜分的威胁,当时清朝的总理大臣和改革领军人物李鸿章提出了“取彼之长,益我之短,择善而从”的主张。

中国有很多东西可以向西方学习,比如对媒体(国内和国外)的娴熟处理和驾驭,公共关系以及为心存不满的人设立合法、和平发泄不满,表达自己意见的途径等方面。中国人民还可以从西方学习利用和平合法渠道来表达愤怒和不满,以及游说政府等。但是,不要向那些在北京奥运期间非法举行抗议活动者和流氓学习,他们是应该避免的坏例子。

归根结底,中国的问题要靠中国人民和领导人的智慧来解决。这些智慧根植于丰富的中华文化、传统和遗产。学习西方应该是有选择的、不迫于外界压力的。任何移植别国成功的尝试大都会失败。有中国特色的制度绝对是正道。

中国不需西方的认可

对于西方的有建设性的建议,不论其来自于媒体,政客,商人或者友好组织和个人,中国都应该鼓励并洗耳恭听。然而对于那些敌意的或不友好的建议,最好的回答就是不理。和那些心怀成见、目的不纯、心怀叵测的人辩论是浪费时间。正如一位读者在对我的第一篇文章的评论中所说:“中国不需要得到西方媒体的认可。”“在没有西方认可的情况下,中国在过去的二十年里成为一个经济大国。”确实如此。为了今天的中国,每个中国人都付出了辛勤的劳动,怀有敌意的西方媒体的“口水”既不能把中国取得的成果带走,也不能影响中国的发展前景。

结束语及建议

对西方媒体我有一个最终建议 - 客观,建设性,尊重,和宽厚。太多的诽谤只能削弱自身的影响力,可信度和重要性。向那些驻中国的西方大企业学习 - 他们既为中国做了贡献,又与中国共同繁荣。

我对中国人民的最后建议来自但丁·阿利盖利的《神曲》:“走自己的路,让别人说去吧”。

--------------------------------------------

James Shen 是一个美国独立经济分析家,他为在中国寻求持续发展的跨国公司出谋划策。他原籍北京,现在是自然归化的美国公民。在上世纪80年代他求学英国,在过去19年里一直居住在美国。

概要

本文是“主流西方媒体发起污蔑中国的马拉松”一文的后续之作。借北京奥运会胜利闭幕之际,作者建议中国清理自己的内务并有选择性地向西方学习。然而,中国以往的经济成功并未依赖西方的支持,因此它也不需要西方的认可。不必理会那些对中国心存敌意、怀有恶意的人,这样他们也就变得毫无意义了。

[ 本帖最后由 Nicolle 于 2008-8-28 02:51 编辑 ]
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-28 02:09 | 显示全部楼层
先占个位子,等待翻译中。。。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-28 02:14 | 显示全部楼层
先占个位子......

【版主提示】
这二位。。。
那个。。。多谢关注此贴。8过,没有这么占位的,再这么占位。。。本版滴带刀侍卫要将两位拿下,以灌水论处的说。。。。

[ 本帖最后由 Nicolle 于 2008-8-28 03:02 编辑 ]
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-28 04:50 | 显示全部楼层
写得不错。也是学习英文写作的好材料。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-28 05:10 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢沈先生和dakelv的翻译,应该它能清醒下人们的头脑
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-28 05:36 | 显示全部楼层
的确只有自己心站了起来,才不会在意别人的赞扬和批评。不会为了赞扬去迎合他人,不会因为批评而盲目改变。老实走自己的路吧,能向自己的目标前进就算走了弯路也不打紧
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-28 08:43 | 显示全部楼层
2000年总统选举的戈尔 和今年民主党初选的希拉里 ,两者拿到的个人选票好象都比对手高一点点把?但是按照美国现行选举制度,  他们的确输了,所以 我对这个事情的感觉是 美国的民主是在他们的制度内实现的民主,中国现在的制度不完善 应该是个很大的问题
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-28 08:57 | 显示全部楼层
文章说的很对,8楼说的也不错~
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-28 09:43 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 41bbc 于 2008-8-28 02:14 发表
先占个位子......

【版主提示】
这二位。。。 那个。。。多谢关注此贴。8过,没有这么占位的,再这么占位。。。本版滴带刀侍卫要将两位拿下,以灌水论处的说。。。。 ...

斑竹很强大
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-28 12:06 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 谭宁 于 2008-8-28 08:43 发表
2000年总统选举的戈尔 和今年民主党初选的希拉里 ,两者拿到的个人选票好象都比对手高一点点把?但是按照美国现行选举制度,  他们的确输了,所以 我对这个事情的感觉是 美国的民主是在他们的制度内实现的民主,中国现在 ...

美国的选举现在在我看来完全是个笑话,两个几乎没有什么不同的政党每隔四年选举一次,就好象选择举起一个人的左手还是右手一样,有什么不同吗?如果说中国是共产党一党执政,那么美国难道不是一党执政,不同的是中国的是表面上的,而美国的就是隐藏的,美国的民主选举不过是在愚弄美国选民罢了
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-28 20:52 | 显示全部楼层
很理性的思考
西方的不全是先进的,但也不全是混乱的
有选择的学习他们好的,摒弃他们坏的,师夷长技以制夷
不需要反复的问外国人对我们的印象,更不需要非要得到西方媒体的认可——连法国人自己都不看他们媒体在说什么,我们何必为那些动气呢?
做好我们该做的,就够了
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-30 20:29 | 显示全部楼层
写得很号!西方人应该好好看看了 !
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-30 23:43 | 显示全部楼层
中国的政治制度也需要改革这也是事实。  如果更好的监督政府还有如何保证司法独立是未来改革的重点难点。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-8-31 00:01 | 显示全部楼层
楼主分析的确实很有道理,我想现如今中国的领导人才不会重视西媒的那些胡说八道的
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-7 11:03 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 lt7834 于 2008-8-28 12:06 发表

美国的选举现在在我看来完全是个笑话,两个几乎没有什么不同的政党每隔四年选举一次,就好象选择举起一个人的左手还是右手一样,有什么不同吗?如果说中国是共产党一党执政,那么美国难道不是一党执政,不同的是中国的是 ...

真是个好主意,我们不如也搞一个“美式”的选举形式,如:
共产党一(和谐社会+科学发展观)
共产党二(消灭剥削+共同富裕路)
选民可以根据自己的喜好,选择自己喜欢的共产党,选择自己喜欢的执政理念?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-7 12:08 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 doubleuil 于 2008-9-7 11:03 发表

真是个好主意,我们不如也搞一个“美式”的选举形式,如:
共产党一(和谐社会+科学发展观)
共产党二(消灭剥削+共同富裕路)
选民可以根据自己的喜好,选择自己喜欢的共产党,选择自己喜欢的执政理念? ...

这两者难道不一样吗???
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 08:27 , Processed in 0.046254 second(s), 19 queries , Gzip On.