四月青年社区

找回密码
 注册会员

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 745|回复: 0

[社会] 【NW Asia Weekly】 Largest pro-China parade ever!

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-10-1 14:08 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 vivicat 于 2009-10-1 16:14 编辑

Largest pro-China parade ever!
http://www.nwasianweekly.com/2009/09/largest-pro-china-parade-ever/

A pro-China parade shows how community dynamics have shifted over the years. Former rivals sit side-by-side, demonstrating a new kind of collaboration.

Posted on 24 September 2009

By Assunta Ng
NORTHWEST ASIAN WEEKLY

A parade celebrating the People’s Republic of China’s 60thanniversarytook place in Sunday, Sept. 20, in Seattle’sChinatown/InternationalDistrict. (Photo by Rebecca Ip/NWAW)

When a thousand participants commemorated the 60th anniver sary ofthefounding of People’s Republic of China by storming throughSeattle’sChinatown last Sunday, serendipities occurred.

It was a celebration that melted down hatred. It was a celebra tionthatmade anger transform into collaboration. Past grudges were buriedandpeople, young and old, marched for the future.

Rivals were willing to ride together.

Leading the parade was a strange pair on a convertible, Ping Chowand OnLau. Chow, 95, is a staunch supporter of the cur rent Taiwangovernmentwhile Lau is a pro-China leader in the Chinese community.

Chow’s wife, the late Ruby Chow, was a King County Council Member.Shewas a long-time critic of Lau. The Chows were known fortheiranti-Communist stance toward China for decades. In the past, theChowshad frequently appeared in the an nual local parade tocelebrateTaiwan’s na tional day on Oct. 10.

Several bystanders’ jaws dropped when they saw Chow and Lauridingtogether. It was odd for Chow to appear in a pro-China parade andhewas next to his wife’s oppo nent.

A staff member from Seattle Chinese Post (SCP), Northwest AsianWeekly’s(NWAW) sister paper, asked Chow why he chose to attend. Chowsaid hecame at his own will.

“I have two mothers,” said Chow, “one who raised me and the other who gave me birth. They were from China.”

The SCP staff member asked what Ruby Chow would say about his actions. Would she be unhappy?

“No, she wouldn’t,” said Chow.

Master John Leong of Seattle Kung Fu Club served as a mediator for the two. He has been close friends with both for decades.

Parade attendees,from left to right: Faye Hong, Michael Chen, Stanley Xu, Lt.Gov. BradOwen, Deputy Council General of China Xin Ping Wang, WeiFeng, and HenryChe (Photo by Rebecca Ip/NWAW)

“I did this for the Chinese community’s harmony,” said Leong. HeinvitedChow initially to participate in the parade. Ac cording toLeong, Chowimmediately said “Yes.”

“I wasn’t sure if Uncle Chow understood that this is forChina’snational celebration, not the Taiwan’s,” Leong said. But Chowrespondedthat he’s Chinese, too, said Leong.

Realizing the sticky situation and ensur ing there would benomisunderstandings, Leong and his wife met with Chow’s chil dren—Cheryl, Brien, and Mark — for lunch weeks before the event. Thefamilymembers talked and decided they would support whatever made theirdadhappy.

Leong then persuaded Lau to sit with Chow during the parade. Duringtheride, Chow was sitting high on the back board of the car. Lau wason theseat. Neither of them engaged in conversation. Chow smiled andwaved tothe onlookers.

When NWAW asked Lau about the ar rangement, he simply said that it was fine.

Chow’s gesture is perceived as a triumph for many who arepro-Chinese.However, it was also a slap in the face for Taiwan.Be cause Taiwan’styphoon Morakot destroyed the southern part of the island, the officialreception in a mainstream hotel and a Chi natownparade to celebrateTaiwan’s na tional day in October were cancelled.

The majority of Chinese community orga nizations joined in the parade except a few.

This is by far the biggest involvement of community groups andolderleaders in a celebratory political parade. Some groups have switched from being pro-Taiwan to being pro-China, such as the IndochinaChineseElderly Association.

Chinatown used to be dominated by Tai wanese influence. However, in thelast de cade, Taiwan’s influence seems to be erod ing as China emergesas a world power.

Taiwan officials have repeatedly said that it is acceptable for the Chinese community to be friends with both sides. During there cent Seattle visit of Taiwan’s President Ma Ying Jeoh, he hadreiterated the same senti ments. Chow had been seated next to Ma at thedinner table,which showed the Taiwan ese government’s appreciation ofChow’s long-standing support.

In the evening, a banquet was held at Sun Ya Restaurant. It was attended by nearly 400 people. Not all were parade participants.

One guest who has a firm pro-Taiwan position, who declined to be identified, said, “I have not changed my stance. I have alwaysbeenanti-Communist. That’s why you don’t see me at the parade. But coming for a meal, it’s okay with me.”

Kenneth Tao, who was marching with the Indochina Chinese Elderly Association, said, “I go to both sides’ events.”

This would never have happen a decade ago when the community was bitterly divid ed. Both sides boycotted one another other’sevents.Now, people from both sides can ride in one car or even sitacross the table. Some call it progress while others say it’s themod ern way ofagreeing to disagree. ♦

2009-10-01_160035.png

评分

查看全部评分

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 04:59 , Processed in 0.042849 second(s), 29 queries , Gzip On.