QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 811|回复: 1

[生活] 【2010.06.11 纽约时报】This Time Is Different

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-6-24 18:36 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/13/opinion/13friedman.html
This Time Is Different
My friend, Mark Mykleby, who works in the Pentagon, shared with me this personal letter to the editor he got published last week in his hometown paper, The Beaufort Gazette in South Carolina. It is the best reaction I’ve seen to the BP oil spill — and also the best advice to President Obama on exactly whom to kick you know where.
“I’d like to join in on the blame game that has come to define our national approach to the ongoing environmental disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. This isn’t BP’s or Transocean’s fault. It’s not the government’s fault. It’s my fault. I’m the one to blame and I’m sorry. It’s my fault because I haven’t digested the world’s in-your-face hints that maybe I ought to think about the future and change the unsustainable way I live my life. If the geopolitical, economic, and technological shifts of the 1990s didn’t do it; if the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 didn’t do it; if the current economic crisis didn’t do it; perhaps this oil spill will be the catalyst for me, as a citizen, to wean myself off of my petroleum-based lifestyle. ‘Citizen’ is the key word. It’s what we do as individuals that count. For those on the left, government regulation will not solve this problem. Government’s role should be to create an environment of opportunity that taps into the innovation and entrepreneurialism that define us as Americans. For those on the right, if you want less government and taxes, then decide what you’ll give up and what you’ll contribute. Here’s the bottom line: If we want to end our oil addiction, we, as citizens, need to pony up: bike to work, plant a garden, do something. So again, the oil spill is my fault. I’m sorry. I haven’t done my part. Now I have to convince my wife to give up her S.U.V. Mark Mykleby.”
I think Mykleby’s letter gets at something very important: We cannot fix what ails America unless we look honestly at our own roles in creating our own problems. We — both parties — created an awful set of incentives that encouraged our best students to go to Wall Street to create crazy financial instruments instead of to Silicon Valley to create new products that improve people’s lives. We — both parties — created massive tax incentives and cheap money to make home mortgages available to people who really didn’t have the means to sustain them. And we — both parties — sent BP out in the gulf to get us as much oil as possible at the cheapest price. (Of course, we expected them to take care, but when you’re drilling for oil beneath 5,000 feet of water, stuff happens.)
As Pogo would say, we have met the enemy and he is us.
But that means we’re also the solution — if we’re serious. Look, we managed to survive 9/11 without letting it destroy our open society or rule of law. We managed to survive the Wall Street crash without letting it destroy our economy. Hopefully, we will survive the BP oil spill without it destroying our coastal ecosystems. But we dare not press our luck.
We have to use this window of opportunity to insulate ourselves as much as possible against all the bad things we cannot control and get serious about fixing the problems that we can control. We need to make our whole country more sustainable. So let’s pass an energy-climate bill that really reduces our dependence on Middle East oil. Let’s pass a financial regulatory reform bill that really reduces the odds of another banking crisis. Let’s get our fiscal house in order, as the economy recovers. And let’s pass an immigration bill that will enable us to attract the world’s top talent and remain the world’s leader in innovation.
We need all the cushions we can get right now, because we are living in a world of cascading and intertwined threats that have the potential to turn our country upside down at any moment. We do not know when the next Times Square bomber might get lucky. We don’t know how long the U.S. and Israel will tolerate Iran’s nuclear program. We don’t know if Pakistan will hold together and what might happen to its nukes. We don’t know when North Korea will go nuts. We don’t know if the European Union can keep financing the debts of Greece, Hungary and Spain — and what financial contagion might be set off if it can’t.
“It is not your imagination,” says corporate strategy consultant Peter Schwartz — there is a lot more scary stuff hanging over the world today. Since the end of the cold war and the rise of the Internet, we’ve lost the walls and the superpowers that together kept the world’s problems more contained. Today, smaller and smaller units can wreak larger and larger havoc — and whatever havoc is wreaked now gets spread faster and farther than ever before.
That is why we have to solve the big problems in our control, not postpone them or pretend that more lobby-driven, lowest-common-denominator solutions are still satisfactory. A crisis is a terrible thing to waste, but a reprieve and a breathing spell — which is what we’re having right now — is a really terrible thing to waste. We don’t want to look back on this moment and say: How could we have gone back to business as usual and petty political gridlocks with all those black swans circling around us? Then we will really kick ourselves.
1.png
发表于 2010-6-25 06:55 | 显示全部楼层
http://udn.com/NEWS/WORLD/WOR3/5662338.shtml

佛里曼專欄/BP漏油 小老百姓也有錯

【經濟日報╱佛里曼】 2010.06.14 03:42 am

我的朋友米克比在五角大廈工作,他給我看上周他寫給南卡羅來納州家鄉的報紙波佛特公報(Beaufort Gazette)編輯,並被刊登出來的一封信。這是我見過對英國石油漏油事件最好的反應—也是給歐巴馬總統該踢誰屁股的最佳建議。

「我想加入這場指責的遊戲,因為這已成了決定我們國家因應墨西哥災難策略的方法。這不是英石或Transocean的錯,也不是政府的錯,而是我的錯。我是罪魁禍首,而且我很抱歉。那是我的錯,因為我沒有弄懂這個世界的變化,並據以調整我無法永續的生活方式。

如果1990年代的地緣政治、經濟和技術變遷都沒有做到;如果911恐怖攻擊事件沒有辦到;如果目前的經濟危機沒有辦到;也許這場漏油事件將成為我的觸媒,刺激身為公民的我決心改變仰賴石油的生活方式。「公民」是關鍵字。我們小老百姓怎麼做最重要。

對立場偏左的人來說,政府規定無法解決這個問題。政府的角色應該創造機會,以善用美國特有的創新與創業精神。對立場偏右的人來說,如果你希望減少政府干預和減稅,那就決定你要放棄什麼,和你想貢獻什麼。

結論是:如果我們想終結對石油的癮頭,身為市民的我們必須擔起責任:騎腳踏車上班、種樹、做點什麼事。所以話說回來,漏油是我的錯。我很抱歉,我沒有盡到我該做的事。現在我必須說服我妻子放棄她的休旅車。米克比。」

我想米克比的信寫到一些很重要的事:除非我們誠實地檢討在製造自己的問題上扮演的角色,我們將無法解決美國的麻煩。我們—包括兩個黨—製造了許多誘因,鼓勵我們最好的學生到華爾街創造瘋狂的金融工具,而不到矽谷創造改善人類生活的新產品。

我們—包括兩個黨—製造了巨大的稅務誘因和成本低廉的貸款,以便提供住宅抵押貸款給根本負擔不起的人。還有我們—包括兩個黨—鼓勵英石到墨西哥灣,儘可能以最低的成本生產石油。(當然我們預期他們會小心,但如果你在5,000呎的海底鑽油,意外在所難免。)

我們就是問題的根源,但這也意味解鈴還須繫鈴人,得靠我們自己來解決問題。911事件並未讓我們開放的社會或法規崩潰;華爾街崩盤也沒有摧毀經濟。但願我們也能安度這次漏油危機,海岸的生態系統不會被破壞殆盡。

我們必須利用這個機會,儘可能避開無法控制的壞事,認真解決可以控制的問題,讓國家永續發展。所以趕快通過減少依賴中東石油的能源氣候法案、能降低金融風暴重現機率的金改法案;讓財政回歸正軌、讓移民法通過,吸引全世界最頂尖的人才,保持全球最創新國家的頭銜。

此時世界局勢錯綜複雜,隨時可能導致國家陷入混亂。冷戰結束加上網際網路興起,讓我們失去圍牆與超級強權,無法阻止世界的問題不斷蔓延。今日再小的單位也能造成巨大的破壞;不論是何種浩劫,傳播的速度和影響的範圍都比以前更快更大。

所以我們得解決在控制範圍內的大問題,不能再耽擱或假裝那些由遊說團體提出、「最低公約數」式的解決方案就已夠用。沒有記取危機的教訓很可怕,但把時間浪費在暫緩執行和喘息更可怕。我們不希望以後回顧這段歷程時再來後悔:無可預測的災難事件隨時可能發生時,我們怎麼還能表現地若無其事,在意那些瑣碎的政治僵局?

(作者Thomas Friedman是紐約時報專欄作家,著有《世界又熱又平又擠》等暢銷書/編譯吳國卿、廖玉玲)

【2010/06/14 經濟日報】

-----------
本来想翻的,发现已有现成,呵呵。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-22 22:27 , Processed in 0.045848 second(s), 25 queries , Gzip On.