查看: 1001|回复: 4

[评论待译] McClatchy:Yes, we have no computers

[复制链接]
发表于 2009-3-22 12:08 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
本帖最后由 I'm_zhcn 于 2009-3-23 23:16 编辑

Yes, we have no computers
http://washingtonbureau.typepad.com/china/2009/03/yes-we-have-no-computers.html

Posted by Tim Johnson Posted By Tim Johnson – Sat Mar 21, 9:57 am ET

I got a very interesting email from a regular reader of this blog. He lives in Zhengzhou in Henan Province, and recently had an unusual experience trying to buy a computer.

I can't vouch that his experience is the same across China, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.

The following is his email. I only have removed a few sentences giving his identity:

I have a maddening and interesting story to relate to you. Might be an interesting story for you.

I am a filmmaker. I came to China in 2002 twice making documentaries and a year later came back to stay. I've been teaching and doing my photography for the last five years but not a lot of video. Oh, I've been shooting a lot of video but without a good computer to edit my stuff, I haven't really been doing a lot. A few months ago, I decided to buy a powerful media computer and start producing TV again. I've been looking, deciding the perfect computer for my needs. I've been to the Chinese Lenovo, Sony and Dell websites. I finally decided on a Lenovo workhorse of a computer. Found it on the Chinese Lenovo website. Powerful processor, 1TB hard drive, tons of ram, HD video board and Blue Ray DVD burner. Nice, nice machine...nice price too, 10,000 yuan.

Last month I was back in Dali and chatting with a couple of western filmmakers who also work and live here in China. I told them of my plan to buy a good "power" computer and start doing my thing again. They both laughed and said good luck buying my computer in China. I said I found it on Lenovo's website and I was sure I would have no problem. They went on to tell me it was next to impossible for the average Joe Blow to walk in off the street to the dealer and actually BUY one of those big computers you see online. They told me their experience here was that the government DOES NOT want the public to have these powerful computers. They said I would find I'd have to go home to buy a good Lenovo. Well, I just couldn't believe that.

Well...yesterday I went to Zhengzhou's computer center with 10,000 yuan in my pocket...and found what I had been told in Dali was 100% correct. I spent three hours...went to a dozen stores...Lenovo, HP, Dell, Sony...and found the same thing. I can buy a moderate computer...good for the internet and small chores...but they couldn't even order the big ones that were currently listed on their Chinese websites. If I'm a university or a Communist government office maybe but not me, average Joe Blow.

I went online at the stores and showed the managers (always deal with the managers!) their own company websites and SHOWED them the computer I wanted and the reply was always the same...not available! When I walked in the first Lenovo store (where my school bought all their computers), I showed the salesman my computer printout of the computer I wanted FROM THEIR OWN WEBSITE and he said he could order it for me and have it in a week. I said order it...he walked to the counter and made a phone call. About five minutes later the manager came to me and asked me why I needed such a powerful computer. I told him to do video. He proceded to give me a bunch of excuses why he couldn't get it. Lenovo has several models that will suit my needs...but when we went to Lenovo's website, the manager said ALL those models were "unavailable". Basically the same story at all the stores I went to.

I've been fuming ever since. What really pisses me off is not the computer per se...no, what angers me is for the past five years I have been pretty naive about just how much control this Communist government actually has over the people. I've told my friends and family of the freedom the Chinese people actually have...or what I have PERCEIVED to be freedom. But yesterday was just a small example of one of the many, many little things, little freedoms that the people here are denied. Little things that as an American I just take for granted. All those little freedoms...it's not the big stuff...it's all the little things. I told my Chinese wife that in the states I can walk in the store and walk out in 30 minutes with the actual computer I want. It's just a small thing but rather profound to me. What an eye opener to me to say the least.

Does the government believe I'll use that computer to overthrow Tibet or something???

Anyway...the more I thought about it, thought it might make for a good story.

Thanks.

March 21, 2009 | Permalink

评分

查看全部评分

楼主| 发表于 2009-3-22 12:26 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 I'm_zhcn 于 2009-3-23 12:30 编辑

1.1.jpg
1.2.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.1.jpg
4.2.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-3-23 11:57 | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 I'm_zhcn 于 2009-3-23 23:23 编辑

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-23 14:40 | 显示全部楼层
这么多?要几天功夫才能搞定。不过俺认领啦
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-23 21:30 | 显示全部楼层
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-9-24 13:17 , Processed in 0.052837 second(s), 30 queries , Gzip On.