QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

楼主: EllenHe

看看Maclean's的封面!对外国媒体,失望,失望,还是失望!

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2008-4-2 17:05 | 显示全部楼层

A sincere letter regarding to Maclean’s latest report on Tibet riot

Dear Mr. or Ms. Editor,

As a financial research analyst working in a Canadian company, I have to ensure the accuracy of information in our publication before they are sent out to clients. Any misleading and inaccurate message is the least thing we want, since it will only result in downgrading our reputation and credibility in our clients. If we lost our clients’ trust, how could we survive?

Similar to my industry, I think you will agree that the credibility is also crucial to the media industry. However, as a regular Maclean’s reader, I’m extremely disappointed on the way you have reported the story on the Tibet riot and started to suspect the professional integrity and the standard of work ethics Maclean’s has. The reasons are as listed below. If you disagree anything I said or listed, please let me know; as an analyst, I’m totally open to the free discussion and communication, which I think is the only way to the mutual understanding and respect. However, if you agree most of what I listed below makes sense to you, I’m looking forward to a sincere apology announced publicly on your website and in your next issue. To make my points clear and easy to understand, I did comparative analysis based on the way in which Maclean’s reported that story and the Code of Ethics for a professional journalist referred from the Society of Professional Journalists (website address: http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp).

First, please allow me write down part of the Code of Ethics for a professional journalist referred from the Society of Professional Journalists: As a basic rule, the Journalists should Seek Truth and Report It. Journalists should be honest, fair and courageous in gathering, reporting and interpreting information. Journalists should:

1. Never distort the content of news photos or video. Image enhancement for technical clarity is always permissible. Label montages and photo illustrations.
2. Avoid misleading re-enactments or staged news events. If re-enactment is necessary to tell a story, label it.
3. Make certain that headlines, news teases and promotional material, photos, video, audio, graphics, sound bites and quotations do not misrepresent. They should not oversimplify or highlight incidents out of context.
4. Avoid stereotyping by race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, geography, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance or social status.
5. Test the accuracy of information from all sources and exercise care to avoid inadvertent error. Deliberate distortion is never permissible.
6. Diligently seek out subjects of news stories to give them the opportunity to respond to allegations of wrongdoing.

Then, please allow me analyze what Codes Maclean’s has violated: Okay, let’s talk about the cover page on the latest Maclean’s magazine: a huge vivid and shocking picture “a policeman is chasing and hitting a monk” with a big catchy title “'Butchers and monsters – Things we can never forget about Communist China”. With or without the small label illustration at the right corner, Nobody will deny that this cover clearly send out a strong message, exactly as your title said, “Look: How brutal and immoral China is now! It is a monster and is killing innocent monks now. ” Regarding to the cover page, the reasons for Maclean’s violation of the Journalist Code described above are as following.

1) Misrepresenting and Misleading: Big catchy picture and title with small label is very likely to give audiences’ impression that “the police was a Chinese police” and “Chinese Government is hurting unarmed demonstrators”, neither of which is true based on this cover page, since the police in the picture is not a Chinese and it was Nepal’s police hurting monks not Chinese government. Clearly, the cover page has strong misleading messages. If Maclean’s does not have clear evidence to show the message, then just do not use this one because “Deliberate distortion is never permissible for a journalist.”

2) Manipulation: I would like to say something about the corner label. People will not deny that comparing to the big picture and title, the corner label illustration is just so minuscule and unnoticeable. It only makes audiences feel nothing but Maclean’s sneakiness, dishonest and manipulation of news. People are not fool; the purpose of small label is too obvious.

3) Stereotyping: That “Things we can never forget about Communist China” is stereotyping current China as the old one with negative images which have been created by media among the western society over years. Maclean’s ignored to recognize any improvement in terms of freedom and democracy in China and did not fulfill its due diligence of researching what currently happened in China. It is not fair, objective, accurate and professional to show this stereotyping statement on the cover page only based on the “misleading” picture.

Okay, now let’s talk about the report itself. The subtitle of the report is “The brutality in Tibet is no surprise. Communist China will never change”. Obviously, all of the discussion of the report was built up on the author’s assumption that Chinese Government has used force to repress the peaceful demonstrators. However, the whole report was only based on the “misleading cove page picture” and “the history of Chinese repression” of the author’s thought, without giving audiences any clear evidence (either in photo or video) of “repression of demonstrators in Tibet from Chinese government”. Don’t mention that the author totally ignored any photos showing that the violence of Tibet came from the demonstrators, any articles written by the foreign Australian and Canadian tourists and any appeal made by the victims or the family of the dead. All of photos, videos, and witnesses’ reports clearly illustrated two critical points in this Tibet riot which are against the Maclean’s report’s assumption:
1) The “peaceful” demonstrators were not peaceful. They were firing shops, beating random passengers and even killing innocent people.
2) The Chinese government did restrain its action during this riot and there is no evidence so far showing the government being a “butcher” or “monster” to the demonstrators. All pictures show how the police put out the fire, helped the wounds and restrained themselves to the violent demonstrators.

I really do not understand why Maclean’s and the author totally ignore these evidences. Is that because they are all against your view? Otherwise, it might be because of the constraints from both language barrier and the ability of research for Maclean’s and the author. According to the Code of Journalist, the author did not do his due diligence to seek the truth, did not illustrate its argument objectively and fairly, and did not even have any clear, accurate, and convincing evidence of the starting point of his argument. This only makes audiences deeply doubt the capability and credibility of the author being as a journalist, which negatively affects Maclean’s reputation as well.

Given my comparative analysis, the only conclusion I could make is that, as a leading influential media in Canada and even in North America, Maclean’s did not have any accurate and credible evidence to back up its messages “China is a Bucher and Monster; they did brutal repression on Tibet unarmed demonstrators”, proving a fact that Maclean’s did not remain being fair, accurate, objective, due diligent, credible and professional by manipulating and misrepresenting the inappropriate pictures and arguments to mislead the audiences in its report of Tibet riot.

Finally, given that Maclean’s and the author might have problem in researching those pictures, videos and articles directly from the witnesses, victims and tourists, I attached some links of those pictures, videos and articles, hoping they could help Maclean’s and the author to report fairly, accurately, and objectively if Maclean’s and the author plan to write the next report. As the Codes said, “Professional integrity is the cornerstone of a journalist's credibility”, I believe, by keeping open mind to listening different voices and honestly and fairly doing its due diligence, Maclean’s will find its both Professional Integrity and Credibility back.

I am sincerely looking forward your response and deeply appreciate your attention to this long letter.

Best regards,
Ellen He

Attached: The links for pictures, videos, and articles directly from witnesses, tourists and victims:
[ 本帖最后由 EllenHe 于 2008-4-2 23:00 编辑 ]
 楼主| 发表于 2008-4-2 17:21 | 显示全部楼层

Violence and Mess were caused by those demonstrators

Attached:
The links for pictures, videos, and articles directly fromwitnesses, tourists and victims:

Part 1: Violence and Messwere caused by those demonstrators:

6.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg 23.jpg
 楼主| 发表于 2008-4-2 17:24 | 显示全部楼层

It was those demonstrators who hurted the innocent people:

Part 2: It was thosedemonstrators who hurted the innocent people:

11.jpg 10.jpg 9.jpg 81.jpg
 楼主| 发表于 2008-4-2 17:26 | 显示全部楼层

The police have showed their restraints

Part 3: The police haveshowed their restraints
The police werepushed into the corner. How can you call this “brutal repression”?
13.jpg 12.jpg
 楼主| 发表于 2008-4-2 17:27 | 显示全部楼层

Videos for what really happened in Tibet

Videos for what really happened in Tibet
Video: http://videos.emule.com/play/2008-tibet--lhasa--riot--the-truth-and-lies--1-of-4--(Uusi0vxWbqk
(This video recorded what have happenedin Lhasa; nomatter what, the protestors should not have broken and crushed the shops,should not have beaten the innocent passengers, should not have fired so manyplaces! Can you call all these behaviors peaceful demonstration?)

Video from witnesses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8zrILo7CF0
(this video shows how those demonstrators beat up a poorpassengers with stones. If there is monsters, those demonstrators are, based onthis video)

Tibet  Riot Filmed by Australian Tourist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP8ELPLESYI
(In this video, even at the beginning part it recorded thetroops and policies were assembling in Lhasa; however, while there is noevidence showing their brutal repression, which also reflects the Chinesegovernment’s restraints, most of the video shows how those “peaceful” demonstratorscreated violence and riot by firing cars, breaking shops and other individualproperties with sticks, bricks, and stones. Could you call this as peacefuldemonstration? I believe, even in U.S.and Canada,firing and breaking properties and creating public riots are illegal and willnot allow happen in the public place.)

Video from witnesses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzi-4OG6QsE&feature=related
(Again, you saw polices, but did you see any repression orviolence caused by them?)
发表于 2008-4-2 17:29 | 显示全部楼层
Maclean's这位专家居然还是出过好几本关于中国的书,通篇傲慢无比的鄙视口吻。
支持各位!马上加入,也写信去抗议!!
发表于 2008-4-2 17:38 | 显示全部楼层
西方自欺欺人的表演让地球村民大饱眼福
发表于 2008-4-2 19:58 | 显示全部楼层
狠狠的骂吧....事到如今,还需要文明与斯文吗?屠夫?魔鬼?那就让他们知道什么叫屠夫,魔鬼
发表于 2008-4-2 19:58 | 显示全部楼层
真不知道,满街上那么多人,怎么就没几个人站出来的呢?都是只看看,能跑就跑..中国人..唉
发表于 2008-4-2 19:59 | 显示全部楼层
要是我就买两把黑枪.把他们全崩了...
发表于 2008-4-2 23:35 | 显示全部楼层
唉~~可惜英语不佳,要不早就臭骂他们了~!!!
发表于 2008-4-2 23:47 | 显示全部楼层
只是觉得,外国人在看待中国的这件事情上,就好像是等着看好戏。就好像当初中国人看美国的9-11事件一样。在这个问题上,中国越是愿意给外国人强加自己的主观意识,他们反而觉得你是在此地无银三百两。换句话说,这样的局面只是一个热脸贴在冷屁股上。
发表于 2008-4-2 23:51 | 显示全部楼层

Thanks Ellen

Ellen: Bravo! Bravo!! Bravo!!!

I commend you for restrained yet strongly convincing arguments against the deliberately false and twisted point of views on the Tibet riot the Maclean's was trying to present to its readers. This latest issue of Maclean's makes us wonder what kind of roles Maclean's is trying to play in this already fragile sion-Canadian relationship. I recommend that everyone who is able to write in English write a letter to the editor and let them know that they will not easily get away from this.

Thanks Ellen for taking the time and efforts to write this wonderful letter.
发表于 2008-4-3 00:24 | 显示全部楼层

回复 64楼 的帖子

Ellen,

Excellent responce to Maclean with strong and justifiable counterarguement! I highly appreciate your efforts in this regard. We will never give up and will continue to fight against the western media with regards to their distorting facts and tarnishing the coming Olympic Games and the Government. I am sure that most people here in China are fed up with the  their downgrading code of ethnics for news coverage; I also have enough reasons to doubt and reject the western media's creditibility and impartiality in reporting the Tibet riot.
发表于 2008-4-3 01:18 | 显示全部楼层
他们的态度依旧傲慢...
人权大国自居...
发表于 2008-4-3 06:36 | 显示全部楼层
西方媒体这次颇有以牙坏牙,耍无赖的阵势
发表于 2008-4-3 09:03 | 显示全部楼层
永远都是相同的问题,对于西藏的打砸抢烧杀,对于法X功的邪教,抑或别的: 为什么西方媒体反应总是如此过激与恶劣?如此偏执和扭曲? 为什么西方媒体对于这些近乎恐怖组织、反人类邪教的团体总是如此在意? 为什么西方永远不能理解中国和中国人民的反应呢?结论是:他们希望在他们眼里看来是劣等国家、异教徒的中国,永远是支离破碎、永远是沉睡不醒、永远是被人宰割才好。正是这些小而无关痛痒的团体使他们看到了下蛆的可能,所以,使得他们才真正如此在意。
发表于 2008-4-3 09:24 | 显示全部楼层
64的文章读起来过瘾、解恨。
发表于 2008-4-3 09:32 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 EllenHe 于 2008-4-2 17:05 发表 Dear Mr. or Ms. Editor
我负责将Ellen He的回信翻译为中文,给大家做个参考,并对Ellen He表示感谢!

一份针对Maclean’s(贵刊)最近西藏发生暴乱报道的诚挚书信(回信)
尊敬的编辑先生/女士,

作为一家加拿大公司任职的金融研究分析师,我不得不在我们的出版物被送到客户手上之前确保信息的准确性。任何误导和不准确的信息都是我们最不希望出现的,因为那只会损害我们在客户中间的名声和信誉。如果我们失去了用户的信任,我们又如何生存呢?

和我所在的行业类似,我想你会同意信誉对于媒体行业同样至关重要。然而,作为Maclean’s一名老读者,我对贵刊关于西藏暴乱的报道感到十分失望并开始怀疑Maclean’s的职业**守和道德标准。理由分列如下,如果你们不同意我所说所列的任何一条,请告知我;作为一名分析师,我对自由讨论和交流持有开放的态度,我认为这是建立互敬互信的唯一方式。然而,如果你同意我所列的大部分内容,我希望得到在你们的网站和下期刊物中看到公开的道歉声明。为了使我的观点清晰和易于理解,我参照职业记者协会(网址: http://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp)所列的职业记者道德准则,并基于Maclean’s所做的报道,做了如下的比较分析:

首先,请允许写下职业记者协会中关于职业记者道德准则的部分内容:基本的准则,记者应该追求和报道真相。记者应该诚实、公正以及勇敢地搜集、报道和解读信息。记者应该:
1、绝不歪曲新照片或视频的内容。为了技术上澄清事实而做的图像增强是允许的。标注拼接部分和图片说明。
2、避免易产生误导的新闻重现和新闻时事。如果新闻重现是叙述所必须的,请标注它。
3、确保大标题、新闻剪切以及锦上添花的材料、照片、视频、音频、图片、采访原声和引述没有报道不实。他们不应该削弱或夸大内容反映的事件。
4、避免对宗族、性别、年龄、信仰、民族、地域、性取向抱陈腐观点。
5、从各种渠道检验信息的正确性并谨慎实践以避免疏忽导致的错误。故意歪曲是绝不容许的。
6、勤于寻找新的话题并给他们反映不端的机会。

那么,请允许我分析 Maclean’s违反了什么准测:让我们讨论最新一期Maclean’s的封面:一副生动而震撼的“一个警察追逐殴打僧侣”的巨幅照片,并标以颇具引诱的标题“’是屠夫和野兽’-那些我们对共产主义中国无法忘怀的事”。无论是否在右方角落里给了小的标注,没有人会拒绝说封面传递了一个清晰而强硬的讯息,就像你们的标题所述“看:中国现在是多么的野蛮和邪恶!它是野兽正在杀害无辜的僧侣”。针对封面,Maclean’s违反职业准则的理由分列如下:
1) 误读和误导:硕大的欺骗性的标题却标以如此小的标注极有可能留给读者的印象是“那是一个中国警察”和“中国政府在迫害手无寸铁的示威者”,但是根据封面这两个说法都是错误的,因为照片中的警察不是中国人,并且是尼泊尔警察而非中国政府在伤害僧侣。如果Maclean’s没有确凿的证据证明所误传的讯息,就不要使用这样的封面因为“故意歪曲是记者绝不容许的”。
2) **弄新闻:我想对小标题发表点看法。应该没有人会反对说相比大幅照片和标题,标注是如此微小且不引人注意。这只会使读者感到Maclean’s的卑鄙、不诚实和对新闻的**弄。人们不傻,用小标题的目的显而易见。
3) 观念陈腐:“我们对共产主义中国无法忘怀的事”使当今的中国显得与西方社会媒体多年来所制造的过去中国的负面形象如出一辙。Maclean’s无视中国在自由和民主上的哪怕一丝一毫进步,也没有履行勤于研究中国现状的职责。封面“误导性的”照片和陈词滥调是不公平、不客观、不准确也是不专业的。

现在,我们再讨论报道本身。副标题是“西藏发生的残暴并不新奇。共产主义中国永远不会改变”。显然,文中所有的讨论都建立于作者对于中国使用武力镇压和平示威的设定。然而,通篇的报道仅仅根据的是作者观念中的“误导性的封面照片”和“中国压迫史”,没有给读者任何清晰的有关“中国政府镇压示威”的证据(无论是照片或者视频)。更不用说作者完全忽视了显示了西藏示威者暴力的任何图片、澳大利亚和加拿大游客写的任何文章,以及暴力中死者家属的任何控诉。对于这次西藏暴乱,所有目击者的照片、视频和报道清楚地说明了两点,并和Maclean’s报道者的设想相悖:
1) 所谓的“和平”示威者并不和平。他们烧商店、袭击路人甚至杀害无辜的人。
2) 中国政府在暴乱中保持克制,目前尚无证据显示中国政府是示威者的“屠夫”或者“野兽”。所有照片都显示了警察如何灭火、救助伤者和在面对示威者暴力时如何克制自己。

我真的无法理解为什么Maclean’s和作者完全忽视这些证据。难道是因为他们有悖你们的观点吗? 要不然或许是因为语言的隔阂以及Maclean’s杂志还有作者没有调查研究的能力。依据记者准则,作者没有奉行勤于追求事实的职责,没有公平客观表述他的观点,甚至从他论述的一开始就没有给出任何清晰、准确和有说服力的证据。这只能让读者深深怀疑作者作为记者的能力和信誉,这也损害了Maclean’s的名誉。

基于我的比较分析,我得到唯一结论就是,作为加拿大乃至北美具有领导影响力的媒体,Maclean’s没有任何准确和可信的证据支持他们 “中国是屠夫和野兽;他们野蛮地镇压了手无寸铁的西藏示威者”的讯息,传达的事实是Maclean’s没有保持公正、准确、客观、勤勉、守信和专业的形象而是在西藏暴乱的报道上用了**弄的手法和误读不妥的照片与观点误导读者。  
最后,鉴于Maclean’s和作者可能在调查这些目击者、受害者以及游客的照片和视频上存在困难,我附上了这些图片、视频和文章的链接,如果Maclean’s和作者计划写下一篇报道的话希望能够你们公正、客观、准确地报道。正如记者准则所言“职业**守是记者信誉的基石”,我相信,通过以开放的态度倾听不同的声音和公正地履行勤勉的职责,Maclean’s能够找回职业**守和信誉。

我真诚期待你们都回应并对你们能够关注这封长信而深表感谢。  
致以诚挚的敬意,
Ellen He

[ 本帖最后由 seanhu 于 2008-4-3 09:40 编辑 ]
发表于 2008-4-3 09:34 | 显示全部楼层
有英文水平的加油,我只好这里支持了
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册会员

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|免责声明|四月网论坛 ( AC四月青年社区 京ICP备08009205号 备案号110108000634 )

GMT+8, 2024-6-24 03:03 , Processed in 0.041741 second(s), 17 queries , Gzip On.